MSTP, uGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

combatwombat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like many people here I recently got an automatic response from University of Alabama's MSTP program based on my MCAT score telling me to consider their program. I certainly would consider their program - but I have to wonder if they'd consider me once they realized my uGPA (which is just over 3.0)!

I have a lot of other research in addition to my relatively good MCAT score, but is it within the realm of possibility that I could be accepted with a GPA this low? Is there as much tolerance for low GPA's in MSTP programs as there is in straight MD programs? More? Less? I never really considered the physician scientist route and don't know much about the process, any info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i guess it depends on how good your mcat is and how great your research is. its certainly possible, but you'd need a bit of luck in addition to fantastic letters of rec.

Just because you were invited to apply doesn't mean they'll actually interview you. WashU used to do this for example and yet didn't interview many of the people invited to apply.

My take: only apply there if you were going to anyway. Don't let that e-mail sway you.

As for your specific question, it's going to be extremely difficult to get into MD/PhD with a 3.0x undergrad GPA. It would be extremely difficult getting into straight MD with that GPA. Even with a high MCAT, you still need a good GPA to get in. What is your MCAT score anyways? I mean a 35 is not a score that will wow MD/PhD adcoms, but it's good for MD programs and a 40 will likely help you for admissions in either. Are there any other mitigating factors here that will help you? If you're getting all As now in post-bacc or upper level science courses, your best chance is going to be MD or maybe MD/PhD (funded? Perhaps) at lower tier schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We don't charge secondary fees until you are invited for interview. We also don't have access to your GPA either.

Are you for real? This is great news!!!

But of course by "we" you don't mean to include the computer program that weeds out slackers like me out automatically based on GPA/MCAT, right? :(

I am not a computer program, I assure you.

Photograph of D&G:

Lost_In_Space_robot_body_1_2_2004.jpg