MSTP vs. MD-only and successful reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u2psalm40

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone out there been rejected by their first-choice MSTP pre-interview; then got in to the MD program and successfully reapplied for that MSTP?

I know it varies school by school; but let's say that school takes a couple people every year internally. Aside from paying for 1-2 years of med school, and passing up a sure MSTP spot, I realize that the other downsides to getting in internally are that 1) you might not get in? 2) time spent trying to get in (research 1st year?) can take away from the little time that one has their 1st two years anyway. But the upside is that you're doing what you wanted to do where you wanted to do it.

So my question is -- has anyone done this (or know someone that has) and what were the issues around it.

i've heard lots of theory so far, it would be great to see if anyone has actually done it.

Members don't see this ad.

at some schools it is markedly more feasible than others. you must find out about the nuances of the particular school that you are interested, with regards to this process. i know people at a number of schools who have done it. at my school it is possible, and it appears that we may get 1 more person into our program, but it certainly isn't 'easy'. since it varies from place to place, if you mentioned the school you are thinking about, perhaps there would be more input.

oh ok no problem. I am trying to get feedback about doing this at Stanford or WashU. Both seem enthusiastic about internal apps;

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
i know that washU is definately receptive, and the year i applied approximately 3 people entered from the med class. since their funds are much more free than most schools, it is definately more feasible. as long as you show some committment to research during your first year/summer - it should be no problem. not sure about stanford.

Habari, would you know anything about doing this at NYU?