MSTP WAMC/ School List help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullmarket1234567

Reaction score
I need some real help with a school list/ to know if this is really even possible to achieve. I am open to going anywhere as well. I know my GPA and MCAT are quite low and might hold me back from basically everything.

CA Asian Male (HYPS Undergrad)
GPA: 3.55 (upward trend with 3.9/4.0 during later semesters)
MCAT: 511

3000+ hours undergrad basic science research (no publications but should be a good letter of recommendation)
500+hours clinical research (2 publications submitted + 2 posters presentations)
2000+ hours industry research - (2 abstract publications and poster presentations with a great letter of recommendation)
1000+ hours clinical volunteering
500+ hours global health work
50+ hours shadowing
500+ hours other volunteering/leadership
500+ hours on a school dance team
500+ hours as RA at other schools for multiple years
Created some clubs at my school and was a leader in them as well

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I tell applicants to be very open to applying broadly. Take AAMC table B-8 in excel from the AAMC FACTS tables webpage. Calculate number of applicants per matriculating slot of all programs. Select the list of MSTP programs from the NIGMS website. Arrange the spreadsheet by size of entry class. Examine table B-12 to see if a particular year was odd with more matriculants than it seems. Check their websites. Examine NIH funding tables at the Blue Ridge or NIH websites, particularly looking at funding from the NIH Institute of your area of interest (NCI, NIA, etc.). Depending upon your stats, you will group the 51 MSTPs by groups of 15-20, and select several from each group for your list... You have to have different levels of difficulty to make sure that you get into the best program for you (interest, fit, location, etc. low in the scale is USNWR ranking or perceived prestige). Choose at least 5-10 from each tier (more in top tier if you wish)... Apply early, if you need to triage interviews, that would be a good problem to have. If you follow my advice, you will get MD/PhD acceptance early from the bottom tier, and might end up in one of your dream schools by matriculation date.

See PM...

Reactions: 1 user