MSU CHM (MD) vs MSU COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow...is this considered a lot of students not matching?

I think the question should be, is that number before or after the scramble?

If that number is before the scramble, not a huge deal if they all found good programs to scramble into. However, if that number includes only those who didn't match and couldn't successfully scramble, that is a big deal.

Members don't see this ad.

The number of unmatched seems a bit high, and is probably explainable, but I think it just generally shows how competitive stuff is getting as the number of students increases, matriculation averages increase, but the number of residency spots stays put.

HOWEVER ... please quit making assumptions based off match lists. Ask any med student, resident, etc, they will all tell you its asinine, and really only tells you what the class was interested in. For example, to the person who listed all the things that people didn't match in ... it's a very good chance that no one was interested in plastics, for example. Furthermore, remember that there are AOA fields that match PGY-2 from a TRI (there were a lot of TRIs on the list), and that people can also do fellowships in the future. In summation ... don't base stuff off match lists. They are fun, they let you check out a few rockstars, etc, but at the core ... they just aren't a good indicator of school quality.

Yeah, I think klmnop and myself did discuss (without arguing) that there are multiple factors that can go into match list stats. We were discussing the different possibilities that could have gone into the match, as did you (with the example of matching PGY-2); we weren't trying to make assumptions. Furthermore, we both acknowledged that match list sats must be taken with a grain of salt and should definitely not be the end all be all impression of any school.

Anyway, like I had previously said, I had only looked at CHM once awhile ago and it seemed to me like they emphasized rural based medicine. My apologies for giving the wrong info, but I did say that I wasn't sure about it at all. Not trying to offend any of the CHMers.

Instatewaiver- good point.

klmnop-are you waiting to hear from anywhere else?

msu 2014- see you in June!!

Yeah, I think klmnop and myself did discuss (without arguing) that there are multiple factors that can go into match list stats. We were discussing the different possibilities that could have gone into the match, as did you (with the example of matching PGY-2); we weren't trying to make assumptions. Furthermore, we both acknowledged that match list sats must be taken with a grain of salt and should definitely not be the end all be all impression of any school.

Anyway, like I had previously said, I had only looked at CHM once awhile ago and it seemed to me like they emphasized rural based medicine. My apologies for giving the wrong info, but I did say that I wasn't sure about it at all. Not trying to offend any of the CHMers.

Instatewaiver- good point.

klmnop-are you waiting to hear from anywhere else?

msu 2014- see you in June!!

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So, not to bring back a thread from the dead, but I had a random thought and thought I'd ask in a thread that already exists. As you know MSUCOM is ranked very highly in the primary care rankings by USNWR but is unranked in the research (arguably more visible) category.

However, the school has arguably more research dollars than any other DO school. So why wouldn't it be ranked for research?

So, not to bring back a thread from the dead, but I had a random thought and thought I'd ask in a thread that already exists. As you know MSUCOM is ranked very highly in the primary care rankings by USNWR but is unranked in the research (arguably more visible) category.

However, the school has arguably more research dollars than any other DO school. So why wouldn't it be ranked for research?
Just look at the methodology

Nope! MSUCOM-2014 here i come

ThreadNecro.jpg

Arise thread,

Long since dead,

And clutter the forums once again!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user