MSU-COM 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MOXIEJEN DO 2003

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

I am looking for other students who will be in my class this coming August. I would like to meet some of my future classmates before I make the move to East Lansing. I am from San Diego. I look forward to your replies.

Sincerely
Jen

Members don't see this ad.

hey!
Congratulations on your acceptance! i have been accepted to MSU too. i am from the san francisco bay area. i have not decided whether of not to go to MSU. the thought of a michigan winter is scary. i am a californian born and raised and fear freezing to death.
what did you think of the campus?
there were no students available to take me on a tour when i was there because it was spring break.
do you know anything about the residency requirements?
please write back.

VI

I also will be attending MSU/COM this Fall and am looking very forward to it. I am a resident of Michigan and I think you will love it here. Congrats on your acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
VI- residency requirements are 12 months prior to the start of school. So in order for us to get in-state tuition, we would need to move to MI in the summer, and defer enrollment until next year.
Jen

I thought that the campus was great. One thing that I was concerned about was that the cadavers are already dissected, however, I spoke with a doc at the hospital where I work, and he said that he wishes that they would have been dissected for him. He says you don't learn much from the actual dissection, because it is all memorization anyways. The staff there are so kind, and very helpful. I have already applied for a NHSC scholarship, and the lady who works in the student affairs office was very helpful in getting my application in before the deadline. I am from San Diego, and I have lived here since 1975. I think the cold might be fun. Remember, its only for 4 years, and we will always be inside studying anyways! There is a beautiful lake about 15 mintues away from the school, Lake Lansing, and it has picnic areas, launching docks, and cross-country ski trails. If you will email me your mailing address, I can send you some pictures of the area. It is really pretty. I am also very excited because MSU ranked in the top 50 schools in the US for Primary Care accdg to US News and World Report. VI-where else do you have to choose between? Another plus-students are a very cohesive group, and because classes are pass/fail, students work together to help eachother instead of the undermining tactics that I hear go on at some med schools. I look forward to meeting you both. Feel free to drop me a line on my email [email protected]
Jen

jen,
i have not made up my mind on where to go yet. i think i need to visit msu again before i make up my mind. when i went to lansing for my interview, it was spring break and i would like to see the campus with students on it before commiting to four years.
people say "oh four years, you'll get used to it." i'm sure i could get used to it, but will like it will be another matter. i also would like to do my residency in california and eventually practice in california and i do not know if going to school in another state will help or hinder my goals. i do think it is really cool that msu is one of the top primary care schools in the country. that is a big selling point to me.
oh, my other choice is touro. their association with kaiser is not too shabby either.

was msu your first choice?
hope to hear form you soon.

VI
p.s. sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Village-
Were you accepted to Touro? One thing to consider is the issue of accreditation. Is touro accredited? MSU has a great reputation. How long do you have to make a decision? Make the trip to MSU. Call Laura Neal in the admissions office. She is so nice and will do everything to help you out. As far as residency goes, I think a degree from a school with a good reputation would go further than one that is in state. COMP-WESTERN U was my first choice originally, but I was put on hold there. However, after seeing MSU, even if an acceptance comes to me from COMP, I'm still going to Michigan. Email me at [email protected] so we can talk more about it. Good luck on making your decision!
jen

Village, one more thing, I was just reading some other threads regarding 'goin back to Cali' and one thing that will enhance your chances of a CA residency is to do rotations at the hospital where you would like to do your residency. I was told by one of my interviewers (Evita Johnson- who plans the rotation schedules) that we can do rotations anywhere the last 3 months of school our fourth year. So, if you do go to MSU, then just plan on doing a couple rotations at your top choice school. Rumor has it that CA residencies are hard to get regardless of where you graduate. COMP graduates do have an advantage to a certain degree, seeing that half of their rotations are in San Bernardino.
Jen

Village-
a couple more things....I know you said "some people say, four years you'll get used to it' and you wonder "but will you like it"
Really think about what you want out of medical school, socially and personally (aside from academics I mean)...Would you like living somewhere where there are lots of cultural opportunities, plays, festivals, plenty of outdoor activities (bike paths, a nearby lake, fishing, boating) yet you are near enough to the state capital to be aware of the legislative happenings in the state and how they may be affecting healthcare. I know you will have to give that a lot of thought. At first,when I landed in Lansing and got my rental car, I started driving West, to the wrong hotel. I drove thru some crappy areas and thought to myself, "Ugh, this place is an armpit! How am I going to pretend to be happy to come here in my interview tomorrow?" Then, after going to the wrong hotel, I went to the right one in East Lansing, and spent some time driving around the area, into Okemos and Lake Lansing. I got a really good vibe about the place. That is why I think it is important for you to go visit again and see how you feel in your gut.

Now, another factor to consider. What is the pass rate on the boards from Touro? MSU has a 93% pass rate on the new boards, and a 99% pass rate on the old ones. I spent some time talking with the director of admissions on my interview day, and she said they are changing the curriculum at the school to compensate for the "low" pass rate of 93% to incorporate more osteopathic practice principles. I have been talking to another student who goes there now, he's a second year. [email protected]. Write him for his opinion, if you want more feedback. Good luck on your decision!
jen

Pertaining to the comment about doing rotations the last three months of your fourth year:

Unfortunately, by the last three months of your 4th year both NRMP and AOA matches will be over. AOA match day is very early January, and NRMP match day is 2nd Wednesday of March (or 3rd?). That is to say that doing electives in the last three months of your fourth year at places that you would want to do a residency at would be pointless. By that time you will have already matched somewhere.

You want to do your elective rotations in the Summer/Fall of your 4th year. Most schools give you around six months of totally free elective time. Check with MSUCOM again, I can't imagine that they limit your electives to the last three months of med school-that would be plain pointless.

Johan Aasbo, MS-1
CCOM

Hi MoxieJen, and all others attending MSU.

I am a first year student at MSUCOM, and I would like to inform you on a few points.

First of all, it is more than likely that you will be in the Lansing area for only TWO years, not four. During your clinical curriculum (years 3 and 4), you will be primarily rotating through any one 12 base hospitals, which are located throughout the state, and only ONE of which is in Lansing. Normally, each hospital takes between 10-15 students. If more than the specified number of students chose a particular hospital, a random drawing will take place for the alloted slots. Last year, 24 students listed the Lansing hospital as their first choice, and only 8 got it. Thus, it is more than likely that you will have to move to another part of the state for your clinical rotations. I hope this doesn't come as a surprise to any of you.

I wish you all the best of luck. If you have any questions, please let me know. I will be more than happy to help.

Doc2002
MSUCOM
Class of 2002

I can tell you from experience that Michigan winter weather is very, very doable with the proper clothing. Like both of you guys, I am also from cali and have adjusted quite well to this new environment. Though winter weather is lousy, spring and summer time make it a worthwhile wait. There plenty of parks and recreational facilities in this area (which you rarely get at a big city like L.A.)! Overall MSUCOM is a pretty good choice for medical school. I have seen many of the medical students and the staff and they are all very warm and happy to be part of the MSUCOM family. Good luck in your decisions... Hope to see you in the fall!!!!
As a side note, last year only 10 out of staters made up the incoming class of around 130!!!! So congratulations to both of you out of staters who got in... See you.