MSU (IS) vs OSU (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

keepingupwithvetschool

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I've been trying to work towards a decision for next year and have limited it down to Michigan State or Ohio State. After touring everywhere I was accepted, I realized it is important for me to stay at a Big 10 school for many reasons. Michigan State is both my IS and undergrad institution but I love the curriculum at MSU and OSU. I also love the areas that both schools are in and could see myself happy at both schools for the next 4 years. Since cost of living and tuition is almost identical for the 4 years, finances aren't really a factor between the 2 because the difference is minuscule.

For context, as of now, I am also interested in completing an MPH and interested in GP or ER. I am very much on the fence about an MPH and currently weighing that as an option.

Pros to MSU:
-Familiar with area, faculty, and know many people in the program making an easier transition
-4 year DVM/MPH Program (OSU is 5)
-About to start their 4th year in the new curriculum (OSU would be on their 2nd year)
-Love the school culture/campus
Pros to OSU:
-Bigger city feel
-Spectrum of Care Clinic
-Newly renovated facilities
-Seem to have a stronger Spanish terminology program (Spanish was an undergrad minor and something I am interested in continuing)

Overall, my most important factors were: having a long established program, passionate faculty/students, study abroad opportunities, and offering dual programs. Both of these schools are almost identical in these aspects and I truly see myself happy at either. Any advice as I make a decision?
 
I had the same conundrum when I was starting vet school. I had a really hard time choosing between these two schools. I chose Ohio due to scholarships and having close-ish family in Cleveland. It saddened me to decline my msu seat since my family was from Michigan.

The curriculums have changed so much since I went to school but cannot comment on that. But I came to the realization that both schools are very good and will help you realize your dreams. Good luck!