MSU (IS) vs OSU (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello! I've been trying to work towards a decision for next year and have limited it down to Michigan State or Ohio State. After touring everywhere I was accepted, I realized it is important for me to stay at a Big 10 school for many reasons. Michigan State is both my IS and undergrad institution but I love the curriculum at MSU and OSU. I also love the areas that both schools are in and could see myself happy at both schools for the next 4 years. Since cost of living and tuition is almost identical for the 4 years, finances aren't really a factor between the 2 because the difference is minuscule.

For context, as of now, I am also interested in completing an MPH and interested in GP or ER. I am very much on the fence about an MPH and currently weighing that as an option.

Pros to MSU:
-Familiar with area, faculty, and know many people in the program making an easier transition
-4 year DVM/MPH Program (OSU is 5)
-About to start their 4th year in the new curriculum (OSU would be on their 2nd year)
-Love the school culture/campus
Pros to OSU:
-Bigger city feel
-Spectrum of Care Clinic
-Newly renovated facilities
-Seem to have a stronger Spanish terminology program (Spanish was an undergrad minor and something I am interested in continuing)

Overall, my most important factors were: having a long established program, passionate faculty/students, study abroad opportunities, and offering dual programs. Both of these schools are almost identical in these aspects and I truly see myself happy at either. Any advice as I make a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same conundrum when I was starting vet school. I had a really hard time choosing between these two schools. I chose Ohio due to scholarships and having close-ish family in Cleveland. It saddened me to decline my msu seat since my family was from Michigan.

The curriculums have changed so much since I went to school but cannot comment on that. But I came to the realization that both schools are very good and will help you realize your dreams. Good luck!