MSUCHM vs. OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the waitlist at two other schools (one of which is a top choice), and waiting to hear back from post-interview decisions from two more (which are both also top choices above MSU and OU). In the meantime, I am trying to come to grips that two schools I have been accepted at will be my only options come the summer time. Note that no financial aid has been released yet.

Michigan State University - College of Human Medicine
Pros
  • Much lower cost of attendance ($54k/year vs $84k/year)
  • I know some students who say they are really happy there.
  • Higher rank on USNWR
  • Lower cost of living

Cons
  • Less-desirable locations to live (in my opinion); likely East Lansing for first two years, myriad of options throughout rural/urban Michigan for clerkship years.
  • Did not come away from interview with great vibes. Asked student why they chose MSU - only thing they said was "it was my only choice *crickets*", and faculty spent considerable time reminiscing on the old curriculum
  • Less competitive match list; more focused on PCP and rural health, I would like to apply to more competitive specialties.
  • My SO would have to leave current job as nurse for a less-desirable hospital network.
  • Have heard some anecdotal horror stories on SDN ("avoid CHM at all costs" type thing)

Oakland University - William Beaumont School of Medicine
Pros
  • Felt a really strong connection with my interviewers and current students.
  • Familiar with the area, would enjoy living around Auburn Hills.
  • More competitive match list; great resources at Beaumont Health System
  • More of a focus on research, which is important to me and my goals for med school.
  • SO could stay at the job she really likes.

Cons
  • Much higher cost of attendance ($84k/year)
  • Unranked/lower ranked than MSUCHM. Not sure how much this will factor in, especially with Step 1 P/F
  • Semi-mandatory lectures (may change in post-covid era?). The school uses Honors/Pass/Fail system, with lecture attendance required for honors.
  • I would have to take a psychology course online if I want to matriculate (super annoying, but can't fill prerequisites any other way. The online psych course will cost me $1000).

Summary: I feel like in my heart I will be happier at OUWB; however, the price tag is a lot to take into consideration, being that I already have considerable undergrad debt. Nevertheless, financial aid offers will be released in early April, and that should clarify the situation greatly.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, fellow Michigander here-- thought I'd throw in my two cents.

You seem really set on OUWB, and it's a great school. If you're super interested in surgical specialties, you could probably pay off that debt no problem and OUWB would set you up well for that. They also match well in surgery and surgical specialties-- I think they're the only school in the country with a mandatory optho rotation.

That said, 30k/ year is a massive difference, especially if you already have debt, and MSU is a great school. Anecdotally, I have a friend at MSUCHM who is an absolute rockstar M3 and did a research year at a T5 school. Another friend at MSUCHM is taking a year off for a prestigious research fellowship. Yes, MSU generally produces strong IM/ peds/ FM grads, but you can really do whatever you want there if you put your mind to it.

Could you bid for the Grand Rapids campus? I think Grand Rapids is arguably a better location than East Lansing and the hospitals in GR >>>>> EL for your SO.

Personally, I'd go to MSUCHM because I don't think the cost difference is worth it. If you can get the cost within 10-15k/ year though, I think OUWB is the place for you.
If I got into the GR campus, I would seriously consider MSU. I just keep remembering a post on here that a current student wrote to “avoid the school at all costs.” I’ll see if I can find that.

Thank you for writing that up! Gives me more to think about!

Edit:

Post in: 'Are there any medical schools to avoid?'
Are there any medical schools to avoid?

Last edited:
If I got into the GR campus, I would seriously consider MSU. I just keep remembering a post on here that a current student wrote to “avoid the school at all costs.” I’ll see if I can find that.

Thank you for writing that up! Gives me more to think about!

Edit:

Post in: 'Are there any medical schools to avoid?'
Are there any medical schools to avoid?
this is completely anecdotal but I have a close friend who graduated from msu chm a few years ago and told me he did not feel well prepared by the school to be a doctor. however, he is at a great residency program in florida now.

I’m choosing between msu and wayne right now and based on his opinion and that post, I’ll probably avoid msu

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That is definitely a concerning write up, but tbh it also sounds kind of extreme. Not sure how to feel about that exactly. I am pretty sure the dean talks about the curriculum on the MSU episode of All Access, but that's probably biased. Have you considered reaching out to other students about these concerns?
I have, but the couple I know are M4s and well beyond these issues. But to be honest, it looks like that post is reflected in both mine and your anecdotal experience.

For example, my faculty interviewer, when I asked what he liked most about the school, spent 5 mins talking solely about the old curriculum and how he’s struggling to adapt to the new changes. Also, you say your two friends who are rockstars are doing great things away at different institutions. That is pretty close to what that doomsayer commenter said about succeeding in spite of MSU.

I have met Dean Maurer, and everything I’ve heard him say about the college sounds so great and positive. He comes off similarly on All Access. But yeah, you have to take into account his bias.

Idk. The cost is concerning, so I hope the financial aid packages that come out in the next few weeks will make my decision easier.