MSUCOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WALKE219

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted into MSUCOM class of 2011!!!

To those of you who have visited the school, what did you think about Fee Hall (or other facilities), the medical students there, the curriculum, administration, faculty, and/or other important things about the school?

I'm considering visiting through the school or just going on my own and exploring there since I live just an hour away.

Sidenote: Is genetics a requirement for our class, or for the following class?

I'll probably just end up calling the office to figure this out, just wondering if anyone had any "insider info"

~Thanks :)

I just got accepted into MSUCOM class of 2011!!!

To those of you who have visited the school, what did you think about Fee Hall (or other facilities), the medical students there, the curriculum, administration, faculty, and/or other important things about the school?

I'm considering visiting through the school or just going on my own and exploring there since I live just an hour away.

Sidenote: Is genetics a requirement for our class, or for the following class?

I'll probably just end up calling the office to figure this out, just wondering if anyone had any "insider info"

~Thanks :)

Help !!! How do I get in 3.5 gpa 27 MCAt...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Shomethamonie I just accepted as well adn I will be starting at MSUCOM in 2007. Genetics is not a requirement this year but it will be for the next cycle (2008)

I think genetics is for next year, I took it so I'm not sure... but if you were accepted and didn't take it, then obviously it isn't a requirement yet! I live about an hour away from MSU too, but I went there for undergrad..

The facilities at MSU in general are great, I mean it is a huge state school. Fee Hall itself looks like a 70's era building and is just plain ugly. BUT the medical schools are all there and so there are a lot of improvements to the inside. The robot patient labs on the 7th floor are awesome. I would say go there and just kind of walk around. I have done that many times and it gives you as good of a glance as a tour would.

From what I hear this summer anatomy is really, really intense for 8 weeks, but that makes first semester "crazily" easy, like back in undergrad again. Which allows for a lot of class bonding and going out bar hopping time. - quote from the MSII who gave me my tour..

Excited!! Now I just have to figure out what to do with my life for like 7 months

Look forward to seeing you both next year!

I think genetics is for next year, I took it so I'm not sure... but if you were accepted and didn't take it, then obviously it isn't a requirement yet! I live about an hour away from MSU too, but I went there for undergrad..

The facilities at MSU in general are great, I mean it is a huge state school. Fee Hall itself looks like a 70's era building and is just plain ugly. BUT the medical schools are all there and so there are a lot of improvements to the inside. The robot patient labs on the 7th floor are awesome. I would say go there and just kind of walk around. I have done that many times and it gives you as good of a glance as a tour would.

From what I hear this summer anatomy is really, really intense for 8 weeks, but that makes first semester "crazily" easy, like back in undergrad again. Which allows for a lot of class bonding and going out bar hopping time. - quote from the MSII who gave me my tour..

Excited!! Now I just have to figure out what to do with my life for like 7 months

Look forward to seeing you both next year!

I've seen people who are MS1's and they say they love their first semester. I hope that I feel the same way after getting blown away by anatomy.

I know it is a bit early for this, but what is anyone thinking about for housing, or have you heard any good/bad places. I didn't really get a lot of info from the tour, just that there are a lot of options.

hey all i was also accepted and going to do a tour, I am wondering when do classes start in the summer for us??? thanks ahead of time

There's an orientation in late June and then classes officially start July 1, or so the Dean told our group during the tour. Hope that helps

MSU said that they couldnt make a decision yet for me. They want to re-review my app after I get my semester grades :cool: Has this happened to anyone else? and is it good/bad? any opinions? Ohhhh im so nervous!!!

Anything that doesn't say you're rejected is a good thing! I think this just means you're on the border line in grades. They want to see how well you do this semester. Hopefully you had a strong showing... If so I would say that places you in really, really good shape!

Members don't see this ad :)
From the looks of all the MSU posts, we're going to have a class of all dudes. haha

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to say hello and congrad to all who are accepted! MSUCOM is a great place and I am enjoying my first year. It can be challenging at times--like right now during finals, but you can do it. Feel free to PM me questions and I will respond when I can and the best I can.

Congrad again! ~Brandi :D

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to answer a few questions people had...

Genetics is a requirement for next cycle, not this one.

If you were sent a request for fall grades, send them in ASAP and they will review your file the 10th of January. Mostly they want to see 3.5's and 4.0s and will be looking specificially at any core science classes you took. I have several friends at MSU in this position and they have all met with Kathie Schafer and this is what she told them.

As far as apartments go, a lot of my friends live in Berrytree Apartments... really close to Fee Hall, and decently cheap. The management company that owns Berrytree and several other good complexes for med students is http://www.dtnmgt.com, just stay away from any of the complexes centered really close to and north of campus. (unless you want huge parties all over your building).

As for Fee Hall, yes it is ugly on the outside, like all of the buildings on campus built around that time, but inside it has been updated a lot, and is continuing to be updated. I really think it is nice inside, especially since I've seen it over the last 4 years as an undergrad and it has gotten a lot nicer!

Hope that helps!

By the way, I AM a girl, so its not all dudes!:)

hey! I went to MSU for undergrad too, I bet we had lots of classes together haha

I got accepted to COM and still havent looked at places to live. Does anyone know of good places to stay other than berrytree, I dont know how I'd feel about a freight train running through the backyard.

i am most likely going to go to MSUCOM. i still have one other school to shoot for before i know for sure.

i do recommend going on the tour. you get to see the study rooms, the student lounge (which is so nice!), and even the OMM room if you are lucky.

i look forward to possibly meeting you all :D

Hey all you incoming first-years, I'm an OMS-1 at MSUCOM like Dr. BBasket, and congratulations to all of you who have gotten in -- it's a testament to some combination of your work ethic/intelligence/smooth-talking that allowed it to happen ;)

In response to some of the stuff I'm reading here, I'll say a few things.

I live at Berrytree, and it has its problems. Most of the people who live there (myself included) are either too warm or too cold because it uses boiler heat, and the train can be annoying depending on the building in which you want to live (to minimize train noise, go with building G, A, or C). However, they don't charge you extra for water, sewage, trash removal, or heat, and the rent is reasonable given the location, which is about a mile and a half away from Fee Hall, and about a mile away from the parking lot where most of us park. Lastly, and maybe most importantly for some of you, there really is no better place to be in terms of the med school social scene. This past semester, which was easier than my and most of my classmates' undergrad semesters, we'd go out fairly frequently, and a ton of people would all take cabs to the bars from Berrytree together, even if they lived elsewhere.

As far as Fee Hall goes, I agree that it doesn't look so fantastic on the outside, but the inside is great. The lounge is a great place to chill after exams, or get work done because of the ten computers sitting right there. Kobiljak (the resource checkout and computer center) is conveniently located inside, and Dean Strampel is looking into knocking some walls down to create more study space and bigger lecture halls for us when we're in our second year, so we can have more area inside Fee itself to do stuff.

Summer anatomy was rough for a few people, but I had never taken anatomy before in my life and I still did really well (incidentally I think there were four people who didn't pass anatomy out of a total of 206 this summer). You think that you'll never be able to pull off something like that, but the combination of fear and everyone else's working so hard will motivate a lot of you more than you previously thought possible, much like it did for me. I must admit, having like half a summer between undergrad and medical school wasn't fun, but at the same time, my roommate (a first-year CHM student) found himself with about twice as much work as I did during fall semester. HA...suckers :laugh:

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to post or PM me...I'll be back on here from time to time.

Peace,

--Sudheer

Does anyone know whether or not you can call MSU COM admissions to find out if you are being brought up at the committee meeting that upcoming Wednesday night? I read a post somewhere that someone did, but i can't find it anymore...is that rude to call...any thoughts/suggestions!?

I remember the thread you are talking about. I don't think it's a big deal as long as you say it the right way.

Maybe ask what the progress of your application's status is. Probe deeper with askign if they know if you have been discussed by the cmmittee yet or if you will be discussed soon. Good luck!

Thanks Andromeda, I appreciate the response! Best of luck to you as well :)

So I just got an email saying that I would be placed on the waitlist for 2007.... bummer. Anyway, does anyone have any idea how many people they have accepted off the waitlist in the past? or any input on the situation? Thanks!

Yeah Becka , I know that typically from everything I hear they accept quite a few people off the waitlist.. There are some threads on this, but from memory it is at LEAST 22 and the most was 66. They said they do NOT overfill their class like a lot of schools. This means that they accept 205 people right away, if they intend to have a class of 205. I guess a lot of schools would accept like say 300 if they knew that typically 95 would defer admission or go somewhere else. This means a good shot of getting in off the waitlist, because for every person out of that 205 who says no, one more spot opens up for you guys.

Good Luck, Hang in there!!

Thanks for the information! I guess I will just have to cross my fingers :)

I am looking for a 2nd roommate at my townhouse on the north end of hagadorn.

PM me if you might be interested

Jon

hey, whats going on, i had a question to those accepted, does anybody know when we can file for financial aide and how to do it

I have already filed for financial aid, but I went to MSU for undergrad.. Once the University sends you your email address and password you can file adn then it takes about a month from what I gather..

Hope this helps, I will let you know when I get mine.. they say they start sending it out to people in Feb. for summer. I applied for it in like November right after I was accepted, but they don't even start reading the files until Feb.

This is probably about the time you will get your info. from the university, then you can go to www.stuinfo.msu.edu > Log in and apply for aid.

This is ONLY after you have completed FAFSA though at www.fafsa.ed.gov

So be sure you have that done ASAP or it will hold up the whole process!!

I'm wondering if anyone knows when students typically sign lease agreements? When do students usually move in? Early June? Mid-June? Right before orientation?

Haha, these questions make me feel like I am a freshmen starting college. I guess med school is somewhat analogous...except it will be much more intense than college ;)

Well I don't know when people usually move in (my lease starts August 1, but I am at MSU for undergrad, so I have my apartment now through the summer). I do know that the general MSU population begins signing leases in October, and that things around campus fill up then. Apartments that are a little more med-student friendly still have openings, but are filling up. I signed at Berrytree, but all of the studios and a lot of 1 and 2 bedrooms are already full.

So my point is to do it as soon as you can take a trip to East Lansing and do it. Hope that helps.

...anyone else have experience with when 1st years sign leases :) ?

My experience from going to MSU undergrad is ASAP.. if you know that you're accepted, and you know MSU is where you want to go, it would be best to just get up there and sign a lease. They go fast all over east lansing since it is such a huge school in general. Granted, places like BerryTree are mostly grad students, but they are popular for that reason, so I think everyone will say the same thing and say as soon as you can.

has anybody heard anything from MSU regarding their student id and password, thanks

no. only thing i received is an email about applying for some scholarships. i think i remember hearing that if you haven't received an email with ID info by march to contact them.

Hey I'm starting at CHM in the fall and was wondering if anyone was interested in a roomate. I'm hoping to sign at berrytree and from what I understand from them is that the apts are going pretty fast. PM if you're interested.

I'm wondering if anyone knows when students typically sign lease agreements? When do students usually move in? Early June? Mid-June? Right before orientation?

Haha, these questions make me feel like I am a freshmen starting college. I guess med school is somewhat analogous...except it will be much more intense than college ;)

Hey- I moved in Berrytree in June (although the lease is actually May-May). Leave yourself enough time to get situated on campus and get all moved in and stuff before school. It will make your life a lot easier :)

I know how anxious you guys must be. I got in really early and had so many months to tap my fingers. Just take a breath and relax-- med school will be starting sooner than you think and you will be wondering why the heck you didnt chill, lol.

Questions? PM me.
~Brandi
MSUCOM 2010

Hey everyone,

So I have finally come to a fork in the road. I have a choice between some medical schools. I am now deciding between the lovely MSUCOM and Wayne State.

Since most of us here have or have had the mindset of attending MSUCOM, I thought I'd post here. What are your thoughts on attending one school over the other? I was "raised" a DO premed by having shadowed mostly DOs over the last 7 years. But something is putting me in limbo and I can't decide.

Thoughts?
-Andromeda

Hey everyone,

So I have finally come to a fork in the road. I have a choice between some medical schools. I am now deciding between the lovely MSUCOM and Wayne State.

Since most of us here have or have had the mindset of attending MSUCOM, I thought I'd post here. What are your thoughts on attending one school over the other? I was "raised" a DO premed by having shadowed mostly DOs over the last 7 years. But something is putting me in limbo and I can't decide.

Thoughts?
-Andromeda

What is the price difference? tuition-wise?

Well, I have a couple thoughts because I was in your same position.. I was accepted both places as well. I actually live in a suburb of Detroit so Wayne was even quite close to my home... I went to MSU undergrad, so I knew E. Lansing very well too. Wayne for LIVING in Detroit (I.E if you can't live at home and need apt and whatnot) is 46,769 according to their website, for people living away from home, which is significantly more than MSUCOM, by about $10,000 a year for those living in E. Lansing away from home. I found that there is a little bit of turmoil in Wayne lately with their accreditation and the problems they have with their hospital the Detroit Medical Center. Wayne was at the ACGME's mercy unless they got a new contract sorted out. They side stepped this by making an agreement with the DMC that would extend things for a year without a contract.. So for NOW, all is well, who knows though. Tuition, stability both side with MSUCOM for me. Also, I have a friend who started at Wayne, and his main complaint is that there are a ton of people utilizing the same cadaver there, and that equipment is sometimes scarce. They expanded maybe a little too much with a little funding problem perhaps. Many people do look at the outside of Fee Hall, and are a little less than impressed... If you have ever been into the interactive labs on the top floor though, it is really state of the art and extremely nice. The facilities at Wayne look a lot like fee, and in fact are actually much older. So I guess my vote goes with MSUCOM on this one too. Another thing to consider is location, E. Lansing is much safer than Detroit, if you will be living down there. The whole DO/MD thing wasn't important to me, and I did like some of the DO beliefs better, but it sounds like that isn't an issue to you either. I would say just look at the facts. Wayne is a well respected regional school as well, but they also have a lower match rate than MSUCOM, and MSUCOM has more residency options as well. It is hard to beat the 99.9 first choice match MSU offers. I believe MSUCOM has a higher national recognition name power than wayne state would too, if that is something that is important.

To me, it came down to tuition a lot, and I found that MSUCOM seemed to be a better fit for me, with a much lower tuition. I didn't find that Wayne State really offered any advantages that would validate the $10,000 higher a year.

Just my 2 cents!!! Hope it helped a little!

Thanks. It's great to hear a pro-MSUCOM perspective. Still in limbo, though :)

Anyone hear or read anything about the possible new campuses of MSUCOM? I heard they announced something this morning. DMC is a possible site!!!!

St. John Hospital in Detroit is the fourth on that list. I would vote by FAR for the St. John and even more so at the DMC. It would be great to lock down another huge metro hospital.. That article claims wayne state doesn't want MSU to move in at their DMC. The DMC people are saying they REALLY want to have MSUCOM in their building, which is great. I hope it doesn't go to Macomb Community, I think it would have a lot more prestige going to one of the two big Detroit Hopitals.. The DMC is HUGE, 5 hospitals in one campus and the school would be right in one of the hospitals. A Great way to get a lot of experience.

It also shows a lot to naysayers about Osteopathic medicine that an osteopathic school is competing with an allopathic school for the attention of a major hospital system like the DMC. The fact that they want MSUCOM so badly is great, and it has wayne shaking in their boots a bit!!

It also shows a lot to naysayers about Osteopathic medicine that an osteopathic school is competing with an allopathic school for the attention of a major hospital system like the DMC. The fact that they want MSUCOM so badly is great, and it has wayne shaking in their boots a bit!!

First, here is the link to the most recent article about this:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702130370

Second, WALKE219, Maybe I'm misunderstanding... You don't want WSU to be "shaking in their boots", do you? MSU-COM expansion into southeast Michigan is to hopefully increase physicians there to support the underserved. This is a need that WSU has continually addressed for years by increasing their class sizes to the point that they are the largest single campus medical school in the country. And, like MSU, they have very impressive statistics for retaining physicians in Michigan.

By WSU saying that they don't feel the DMC and MSU would be the right fit, it's not because it's a DO/MD thing, or that there are "naysayers". It's just that the inn is full with already existing medical students. And with all the politics and fallout of the WSU/DMC contract disputes, it would be unfortunate if there was already a feeling of competition by either MSU or WSU.

Don't get me wrong... I personally think that MSU-COM coming to southeast Michigan is fantastic. If caring for the Detroit underserved is the goal, I think the St. John's site would be wonderful clinical exposure in an untapped site for med school clinical training. And honestly, I've heard nothing but good things about both the OU and MCC sites.

I'm glad that you all are coming here. But I do hope that something outside of the DMC will be found to provide you all the education and clinical opportunities you deserve while allowing WSU to continue its already existing service mission.

Then again, maybe me posting this does show how some are, in fact, shaking in our boots... so mission accomplished. ;)

Hey, I just want to clarify a bit - I wasn't calling the Wayne people the naysayers about DO at all.. What I was trying to convey was that there are many people out there who believe DO is somehow inferior to MD training. This is mostly due to opinions by naive people on the subject. These people would be the "naysayers" I spoke of. I think it is wonderful that a large, extremely highly thought of institution like the DMC is trying to associate with an osteopathic college. This shows a confidence in the osteopathic training by medical professionals at various levels. The vast majority of people who are "in the know" understand there is very little practical difference in training, and none in quality. An announcement like this helps the layperson, who isn't savvy on the subject understand more, and give more public exposure to osteopathic medicine..

I didn't mean to say at all that people at Wayne State were uninformed or anything at all.. I hope I cleared this up somehow - sorry to insult, if I did, I really didn't mean it at all like that. I really hope I cleared this up because I don't want that to be construed as my opinion at all.

I was just joking around with the ''shaking in their boots'' comment. I actually think the DMC and Detroit would really be at a loss without Wayne State doing clinical there. It would actually be a huge disaster. I was actually accepted at Wayne, so I did do some reading into the subject, and my own personal opinion is that Wayne State is getting the short end of the stick on all of this. It seems to me that DMC should be trying to do anything they can to keep Wayne State at their site. Losing you guys shouldn't be an option. Even if they were to reach an agreement with MSU, it would never come close to "replacing" Wayne if that contract was lost. I just think for the harmony of the MD/DO relationship it would be really powerful to have the two schools share the DMC site.

You were right about the MCC site, they offer an extremely large new, expensive fancy facility out there too, I just believe there is a lot more need in Detroit than in Oakland and Macomb county.

MSUCOM does a State wide clinical system with 28 hospitals (and growing).... So for the clinical years we branch out all over the place...
St. John Riverview is already a clinical site for MSUCOM so it wouldn't really be an untapped site, considering a bunch of students already do clinical there. Although it does get us in Detroit for the science class years.
I think the biggest issue is where to have the science years housed...