MSUCOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, when I posted this I didn't realize that the discussion of MSU sites was the active topic of another thread. I have responded there:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=369624

Didn't mean to hijack!

Congrats to the MSUCOM Class of 2011,

"A friend"

Members don't see this ad.

I just called MSUCOM to see their policy on private visits. The adcom said the school does not have the staffing for that. She mentioned I should try getting a hold of a student. Do you guys know any clubs or students that give tours or something to prospective students?

Thanks,

jpc984

So if any upperclassmen read this.. I want to get football tickets. Are there a lot of monday tests, where the games and possibly a little tailgate before might really mess with study time? It's just that I went to msu for 4 years and have never gotten to see us beat michigan. I have a good feeling about this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there a lot of monday tests, where the games and possibly a little tailgate before might really mess with study time?
We have an exam pretty much *every* Monday morning.
Fall semester of 1st year is relatively easy, so you'll probably have every third Monday free of tests during that semester. But every semester after that, Mondays are for exams!

It's really not as bad as it sounds, though. If you make a decent effort at studying during the week, I think you could afford to take a day off on weekends for enjoying the game. Just don't fall behind.
I think the summer Anatomy will give you a good idea of how much time you will need to devote to studying to do well.
I also recommend buying the scribe notes, because I eventually decided it was a lot more efficient for me to learn by reading the scribes rather than listening to the lecturers since I can read faster than they can talk (with the exception of any lectures that involved a lot of photographs, like the histology or pathology ones).

If you go to this link: http://www.com.msu.edu/aa/preclerkship/
choose a semester and click "Weekly Schedule" in the "Semester Resources" box you can see what our schedule of classes and exams has been in the past, to give you an idea of what you'll be faced with. :)

Good luck! It's a great school and I have been happy here, so I think you'll be fine!

Do you guys know any clubs or students that give tours or something to prospective students?
All I can think of to suggest would be to get in contact with the people who run the "Pre-SOMA" chapter for MSU: http://www.msu.edu/~presoma/
(the pre-med club for DO students) and ask them if they can hook you up with a med student.
To be honest with you, though, I'm not sure that there is really all that much to see. :) If you've interviewed here and had the chance to walk around with the tour guide then, I think that is a pretty good representation of what the facilities are like and how the atmosphere here is. Fee Hall is not a particularly fancy or pretty building, but I think they give us a solid education!

Hi -
Anyone have any idea when Berrytree fills up for 1 bedroom apts?

Hey guys what's up. Im in the CHM class of 2011 and I was just wondering if any of you COMers played hockey. Another COM 2011 student, COM 2012 student and I are in search of hockey players to start like a IM team of future doctors for this fall. Especialy a goalie because I can play it but really don't want to. Just PM me or something if you're interested or know some body in your class, my class, or the classes above us that might be. Thanks.

Is anyone going to the open house Friday?

So if any upperclassmen read this.. I want to get football tickets. Are there a lot of monday tests, where the games and possibly a little tailgate before might really mess with study time? It's just that I went to msu for 4 years and have never gotten to see us beat michigan. I have a good feeling about this year.

I ended up getting both football and basketball tickets this year which was awesome. It's really not all that tough to manage your time. Honestly though, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting it in since fall semester was pretty comparable to a 16 to 18 credit undergrad semester.

Plus the michigan game is at home this year so its probably worth it.

dave c/o 2010

Was just wondering where everyone went to undergrad...I see a few of you went to MSU. I went to Alma College, which is just up the road from Lansing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to MSU too, but I have been away for 3 years and I can't wait to get back! :)

i went to GVSU in Grand Rapids

I also went to GVSU in Grand Rapids.

Hello Everyone,
I was accepted into the class of 2011 also. I am coming from California and am hoping to get some advice on what to see when I visit. I will be in town May 4- May 7. Thanks for any advice.

Hello Everyone,
I was accepted into the class of 2011 also. I am coming from California and am hoping to get some advice on what to see when I visit. I will be in town May 4- May 7. Thanks for any advice.
Do you know where you will be living (E. Lansing, Lansing, Okemos, etc?) Unfortunately, there isn't much to see in Lansing area. You might want to drive around the campus to familiarize yourself. It is huge, but as a MSUCOM student, you only have to know the Southeast side of the campus.

Let people know what your interests are so we can suggest something to your liking!

As far as the weather goes, we are supposed to have a real nice one toward the weekend. Lucky you!

Thanks ponko, the weather was great and the area was good too. I found a place in Haslett. Hope to see you in a month.

Just thought I'd throw this question up here and see if anyone knew the answer...

I am still covered under my parents insurance for a few more years (I'm a baby) so I've applied for exemption from the MSU insurance plan. Do you think that MSU will take that amount out of my yearly financial aid or just give me the full amount?

Thanks, see you all soon!

The class schedule for Anatomy in the upcoming summer semester states 8 am to 9-50 am everyday. I have been hearing that it is pretty challenging to cover all of anatomy in the scheduled two months.
Just wondering whether anyone has any thoughts about our first class and is the class time really 2 hours everyday. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.:)

Hi I was just wondering if it is helpful to buy the survival guide for anatomy. I didn't buy it in the order form so I was wondering if there would be another opportunity to purchase the guide if it would be necessary.

Thanks! See y'all soon :):p

Any one know how to get student football tickets? Is there a website or something? I'm hoping they're still available.

Hi there,
Smart choice in joining the MSUCOM family! I am a rising third year and can honestly say now looking back over the last two years that this school provides a solid medical education (in spite of the few deficits it has -as every medical school does).

I'll keep my advice pertinent to the summer anatomy course:

First of all, this class is intense - especially if you haven’t had anatomy before. Don't even think about commuting from far away during the summer as I did! If you need to find an apartment that's available for just the summer before your regular lease starts or whatever - check the school's apartment page: https://www.com.msu.edu/apps/ss/apartment-match - You'll need to spend as much time in lab as possible. Go to class in the morning and then go strait to lab and stay there as long as possible. Find some study partners early on. You'll be much more efficient and much less stressed if you learn the lab objectives with at least one other person and quiz each other as you do it. I also recommend studying the lecture material with these classmates as well. The friends you make during anatomy will probably be some of your closest friends throughout the first two years - so make as many friends as you can and keep an eye out for those people who you think you might be able to rely on as the year progresses. Finally, this class sets the tone for the rest of your preclinical experience! Do as well as you can on the first exam and practical while forming good study habits, making friends, not being too stressed, and enjoying yourself. Good luck!

thank you starboard, your advice will be very helpful im sure :)