MSUCOM satellite campuses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMeowMeow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to MSUCOM and have to submit my campus preference in a month. Does anyone know if the Macomb or Detroit campuses will have less resources and opportunities in terms of being competitive for residencies vs. East Lansing? I actually live 10 miles from the macomb campus so if I went there I would save a lot of money in living expenses. I don't mind virtual lectures at all, but I am most concerned about the quality of hospital rotations and availability of research etc.

tl;dr: Basically, will going to a satellite campus affect how competitive I am for residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently accepted to MSUCOM and have to submit my campus preference in a month. Does anyone know if the Macomb or Detroit campuses will have less resources and opportunities in terms of being competitive for residencies vs. East Lansing? I actually live 10 miles from the macomb campus so if I went there I would save a lot of money in living expenses. I don't mind virtual lectures at all, but I am most concerned about the quality of hospital rotations and availability of research etc.

tl;dr: Basically, will going to a satellite campus affect how competitive I am for residencies?

I'm pretty sure all that all MSU students have the same opportunity for rotations in 3rd/4th year.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have all the same opportunities don't worry.

The school does a good job making sure all three sites coordinate events, lectures and meetings. There really isn't anything that will put you at a disadvantage for residency. The student organizations even broadcast their events.

For rotations, its exactly the same thing. The EL students have the same chance of being placed in southeastern michigan for rotations as DMC/Macomb students, and the DMC/Macomb students have the same chance of being placed in Mid-michigan for rotations as the EL students. When you are a second year student choosing your base hospital, you are all in the same pool of students i.e. MSUCOM EL, DMC, Macomb. The satellite campuses have the facilities that EL has: gross anatomy lab, patient simulators, OMM lab, etc. Everything in terms of academics is pretty much the same.

If you don't mind being in a class of 50 and not living on a more traditional campus (like East Lansing), then there should be no differences in opportunities. Dean Falls mentioned that not all lectures will be given in East Lansing (although most of them are right now) and professors will be giving lectures from all 3 campuses more evenly and streaming them to the remaining 2. It seems that theres a decent possibility that this can actually happen in the future because they are intent on doing it and the classes won't be taken with the MD students anymore (for the class of 2016 onward) so there is really no reason why classes should be taught at EL exclusively anymore. The students I spoke to on the tour said that 50 out of the 200+ students in EL actually physically show up for lecture. So when you think about it, the rest of the EL students are pretty much learning the same way, streaming their lectures.

Last edited:
I'm really glad to hear that the rotation opportunities are exactly the same!! I heard that extracurriculars like clubs and research are important though. Can anyone comment on if there are a lot of those available on the satellite campuses?

I'm really glad to hear that the rotation opportunities are exactly the same!! I heard that extracurriculars like clubs and research are important though. Can anyone comment on if there are a lot of those available on the satellite campuses?

I think its all the same. I plan on being involved which ever campus they give me. I put DMC as number 1 because I am really non traditional and don't want the college feel again.

To be realistic, there are more research opportunities in EL than MUC/DMC, just because EL being the main college campus and where most of the main faculty resides.

Clubs are pretty much the same for satellite campuses. If there is a guest speaker in EL, they will broadcast it to the MUC/DMC. There are some coordinated events with all 3 campuses and some events specifically at your site.

And clubs/research is not that important unless you are going for a really competitive residency. It's all about boards, its not pre-med anymore.

To be realistic, there are more research opportunities in EL than MUC/DMC, just because EL being the main college campus and where most of the main faculty resides.

Clubs are pretty much the same for satellite campuses. If there is a guest speaker in EL, they will broadcast it to the MUC/DMC. There are some coordinated events with all 3 campuses and some events specifically at your site.

And clubs/research is not that important unless you are going for a really competitive residency. It's all about boards, its not pre-med anymore.

I agree. Logically, you will have better opportunities to do research at the EL campus, but if you really want to do research you will just need to work a little harder to find those opportunities at the satellite campuses. The research I did in my undergrad was not even in association with my undergrad institution. But seriously, the DMC has tons of research opportunities. And just because you're an MSU student doesn't mean you can't do research at other educational institutions (i.e. Wayne State). One of my professors in undergrad right now does research at Karmanos. It's really what you make of it, you might have to work a little harder to find those opportunities but I don't think its big enough to be a deciding factor -- I can definitely say this for myself. But let's be realistic though, the funny thing is that we are pre-meds right now talking about doing research while in med school and I think eventually for most of us we will change our minds when we are actually in the thick of it during med school.

Last edited:
I attended EL's program prior the satellite campuses opening, and I'll tell you that it was the best time of my life. It was an overall positive experience. The staff, faculty and students were very supportive and friendly, and campus life was refreshing.

From the standpoint of education, at this point the satellite campuses have faculty, although they are still using teleconferencing for some of the courses. You should choose campuses depending on what type of learner you are.

Congrats, MSUCOM is a great program, and you will go FAR as I have!

I agree. Logically, you will have better opportunities to do research at the EL campus, but if you really want to do research you will just need to work a little harder to find those opportunities at the satellite campuses. The research I did in my undergrad was not even in association with my undergrad institution. But seriously, the DMC has tons of research opportunities. And just because you're an MSU student doesn't mean you can't do research at other educational institutions (i.e. Wayne State). One of my professors in undergrad right now does research at Karmanos. It's really what you make of it, you might have to work a little harder to find those opportunities but I don't think its big enough to be a deciding factor -- I can definitely say this for myself. But let's be realistic though, the funny thing is that we are pre-meds right now talking about doing research while in med school and I think eventually for most of us we will change our minds when we are actually in the thick of it during med school.

The DMC has PLENTY of research opportunities (I myself am involved). Not to mention there are physicians on the faculty list of MSU who conduct research and are in the Metro Detroit area. If you want to do research it is very possible at the DMC campus, however I wouldn't make that your deciding factor. You should go with which one feels right, trust me ;).

Thanks for all the input everyone. I also spoke with an MSU graduate who says that going to a satellite campus isn't much of a difference. I have decided to choose macomb campus for my preference =D

Thanks for all the input everyone. I also spoke with an MSU graduate who says that going to a satellite campus isn't much of a difference. I have decided to choose macomb campus for my preference =D

Wooo free parking!

The DMC has PLENTY of research opportunities (I myself am involved). Not to mention there are physicians on the faculty list of MSU who conduct research and are in the Metro Detroit area. If you want to do research it is very possible at the DMC campus, however I wouldn't make that your deciding factor. You should go with which one feels right, trust me ;).

Awesome! Its really good to know that people from the MSU faculty are doing research in the metro area. I agree with you though, I said there was TONS of research opportunities at the DMC.