MSUCOM tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think there may be a thread on this already, but I can't find it, so can someone answer this question or direct me where to look.

If you apply as an out of state resident, is there any way to switch and become an in state resident, to pay in state tuition?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you have to live in state a year to get in state tuition. Perhaps one could defer acceptance to the following year, and move to Michigan, work, take courses, whatever, then reapply the following year as a resident.

That way not only do you have residency so you will likely be admitted, it would be cheaper too.

Take this with a grain of salt as I am not sure though.

We were told during the interview that you will not get in-state residency by moving to MI and going to school. One would have to be employed full-time or have a spouse living in MI employed full-time.

Here's the link for more information!

Members don't see this ad :)
hoberto said:
We were told during the interview that you will not get in-state residency by moving to MI and going to school. One would have to be employed full-time or have a spouse living in MI employed full-time.

Here's the link for more information!

I've heard similar things. If you are single you are screwed.

If you are married and your spouse takes up a job in Michigan after you move then you may qualify for in-state tuition after the first year.

I think they offer a scholarship that will make the tuition in the range of in-state students. I don't know how competitive and how many they offer.

dr.z said:
I think they offer a scholarship that will make the tuition in the range of in-state students. I don't know how competitive and how many they offer.
The scholarship is relatively competitive. I honestly don't know the numbers, Dr. Falls (Dean of Students) would know if anyone does. There was an online application involving a two page essay (it's on the financial aid site for med students). Then those who moved on to the second part were interviewed by a panel consisting of physicians and administrators. I felt that it went well, although the panel interview (unusual for MSUCOM) was quite uncomfortable as my admissions interviewer was present. The scholarship is need dependent up to $15,000 per year for the first two years. You apply for the first year and second year separately. Only pre-clinical years are available for this Non-Resident Scholarship. However, there several other scholarships and low-interest loans, check the scholarship page at MSUCOM.
Hope this helps.

I'm sure they are a great school, but WOW what a ridiculous price for out-of-staters.

DarkWingDuck said:
I'm sure they are a great school, but WOW what a ridiculous price for out-of-staters.
It is.
I'm planning to graduate with about (hopefully just under) $200,000 in debt from MSUCOM and undergrad combined. This is with the two years of the scholarship and the fourth year internship rebate. During MS3 I'm also planning to get a very low interest loan to help that year. There are ways, but it's very expensive.
If cost is a great factor, and how can it not be, check out UMDNJ-SOM. I interviewed there and found it welcoming and a great environment. It was a difficult choice between waiting for UMDNJ and taking my MSU acceptance. It's a fantastic school and they have a low tuition. So I guess that's a recommendation for UMDNJ from me, but with that and $2.50 you can get a latte at Starbucks, so I hope it helps. :thumbup:
Best of luck! :D

Just got into MSUCOM , and my goodness I feel sorry for you out of staters! However for the greater good of education and this fine school, Im willing to marry another prospective (female) member of class 2010 :laugh:

Aparently though there are ways around the in state tuition if you can seperatly move to the state apply for change of state citezenship etc. etc. however I dont know if your willing to wait the time it will take for such a plan. If all else fails read previous ^ :)

I heard that if your parents live in the state then within one year you too can be considered in state. SO??? My mom and dad live there now so I went ahead and applied even though I am still out of state. Which they have had my application since Sept. and I haven't heard a word but that it's in review...can't be a good sign.

I got invited for an interview at MSUCOM, but withdrew from MSU once I got into UNECOM. The oos tuition was just too much for me when I have a family to also consider. Too bad - MSU really looks like an awesome school. Just too expensive.