MSUCOM vs. CMED ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryang0811

Reaction score
Hi there, I am fortunate to have acceptances at MSUCOM and Central Michigan, and I'm honestly not sure what to do. I absolutely love Michigan State- it's an established, well-known DO program with excellent rotation sites and residency placements. Central Michigan is a newer program and less established, but the smaller class size and family atmosphere are attractive to me.

The obvious consideration is MD vs. DO, but I don't think it's so straightforward in this case. I'm leaning more towards Michigan State, but I find myself flip flopping the more I think about it. I'm very humbled to be in this position, as I could see myself at either school. I absolutely love MSU and my heart says to go with it, but logically, I know Central may open up more doors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Central Michigan. More opportunity, and it can’t be understated.
Do you think CMED's (way) less extensive hospital network would be a factor here? I'm from Southeast Michigan and see COM grads everywhere. It just doesn't seem like CMED has that same sort of reputation. Both schools have similar match rates, and COM's match list is impressive for a DO school. Tough to compare side-by-side with CMED because there's just so much more data...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think CMED's (way) less extensive hospital network would be a factor here? I'm from Southeast Michigan and see COM grads everywhere. It just doesn't seem like CMED has that same sort of reputation. Both schools have similar match rates, and COM's match list is impressive for a DO school. Tough to compare side-by-side with CMED because there's just so much more data...
You will save yourself the time of taking COMLEX and open up more specialty choices. I have great respect for these established DO schools, but I feel CMED is not going to hold you back even if they have a less extensive hospital network.

Reactions: 1 user
They are probably roughly equal, CMED is a relatively unknown school outside of MI whereas MSUCOM has been around for a long time with a good rep in the DO world. That said, the DO stigma still exists at some places and you will have to take two sets of boards.

Go to CMED and drive down to Lansing when you have free time. As stuff like pass/fail step continues I think the DO stigma will only worsen.

Reactions: 1 users
They are probably roughly equal, CMED is a relatively unknown school outside of MI whereas MSUCOM has been around for a long time with a good rep in the DO world. That said, the DO stigma still exists at some places and you will have to take two sets of boards.

Go to CMED and drive down to Lansing when you have free time. As stuff like pass/fail step continues I think the DO stigma will only worsen.
Wait, I don't know much but why do you have to take both boards if you go DO? Is it required for residency?

Wait, I don't know much but why do you have to take both boards if you go DO? Is it required for residency?
As a DO, you have to take COMLEX. For residency, students typically take Step 1 and Step 2 to be better applicants and have something that is easy for program directors to look at and understand. Step 2 is still numerical, so that’s still something worth taking as a DO studentZ

It’s not required for residency, DO students only need to take COMLEX. That being said, many also opt to take Step to improve their chances for a competitive residency. Especially since the merger.

Nothing against the DO degree, but I feel like the general consensus on this site is when deciding,

US MD > US DO

And I mean this in terms of opportunities in med school, residency choices, public familiarity (in some areas, DOs are pretty rare so it’s not uncommon for people to think it’s another type of healthcare professional). Obviously I don’t mean that MD are better people/students/doctors than DOs just because of letters.

Unless there is a very compelling reason to avoid moving (ie, not wanting to uproot kids, spouse wouldn’t be able to get a job etc.(

If you want to stay in Michigan, then equal. If you want to practice anywhere at any time, get the M.D.