MSUCOM vs KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcengelman

Pete
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I got myself into a pickle. In the past I was hoping to just get into one DO school. However, I suprisingly got acceptances to MSUCOM and KCOM!!!! I can't believe it. I guess I totally underestimated myself. Anyways, I've been thinking about both schools for awhile now and I still can't decide. Michigan is really expensive for out of state people. I've always lived in a small town for the most part so kirksville doesn't bother me. I was more impressed with kirksville's campus and technology, but only because I didn't get to see much of Michigan and East Lansing. Any information would be great regarding the towns, technology, rotations and residencies, etc. Good luck to everyone. Never ever ever ever ever ever give up.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the Lansing area is quite small compared ot other capitol cities. We have enough to provide you with anything you might need without traveling very far. But, it is small enough that you can run into people you know anywhere you go. I really love my hometown (East Lansing) for these reasons. My husband is from a really small town and his family has to drive an hour to find a store other than Walmart. The campus here seems large, but once you have been here for a month, it will seem much smaller. Good luck with your decision and feel free to ask me any questions. I have lived here my entire life!

They are both top schools. Although I believe that MSUCOM is better, I honestly would probably go with the cheapest route since you are out of state. I did my undergrad at MSU, so I too would be happy to answer any questions. BTW, don't let Fee hall fool you, MSUCOM has all the latest technology, just ugly hallways. If money is not an issue for you, than MSUCOM without a doubt.

Members don't see this ad :)
pcengelman said:
Hey everyone,

I got myself into a pickle.

This is not a pickle. This is a banana sundae with chocolate and strawberry sprinkles. Hmmm...which do I choose? Strawberry or chocolate? I just can't make up my mind... :p

Having also interviewed and been accepted at both schools, I would choose MSU hands down. I'm not really biased, either, because I actually liked DMU better than all three of those schools. However, imo MSU blows other schools out of the water in that it has the awesome connections with good rotations and residency sites, its affiliated with a big ten school. There will be no need for me to take the USMLE at MSU. There will be no need for me to explain to my patients what a DO is while on my rotations in MI, because there are tons in Michigan. I heard from some 1st years that there will be a lot of scholarships for out-of-staters at MSU this year that will in effect reduce your cost of attendance to that of an in-state student, not guaranteed, but something to think about.

Its a matter of opinion, I'm just giving you mine.

Do I have to stay in michigan for my rotations and residency? Also I like to have the option of specializing. Which school will give me the best education and opportunities to gain these opportunities? It seems as though MSUCOM is majorly geared towards just primary care...is that true? I guess what I mean, is MSUCOM ranked the highest b/c of it's primary care or b/c of it's overall program? If there is any KCOM students that have opinions also that would be great. I don't want to get all my advice from michigan residents....seems kinda biased :p Thanks everyone for helping me make a decision. It seems as though i'm thinking too much into it :D

pcengelman said:
Do I have to stay in michigan for my rotations and residency? Also I like to have the option of specializing. Which school will give me the best education and opportunities to gain these opportunities? It seems as though MSUCOM is majorly geared towards just primary care...is that true? I guess what I mean, is MSUCOM ranked the highest b/c of it's primary care or b/c of it's overall program? If there is any KCOM students that have opinions also that would be great. I don't want to get all my advice from michigan residents....seems kinda biased :p Thanks everyone for helping me make a decision. It seems as though i'm thinking too much into it :D

lol, every school prepares you for primary care; its the access to hospitals with programs you desire that is the difference. yes MSU has its rank for US world news or whatever, it really means little. the advantage of MSU is pretty clear if you look at the base hospitals the school offers and the opportunities that exist at them. nearly all of the osteopathic surgical subspecialities are in Michigan osteo hospitals. granted there are a handful elsewhere, but the majority of major programs are here, and the school has a great name and the state as a whole is very DO friendly (nothing against MO or anything, just my perspective). you will spend more than a year at one of these hospitals, be exposed to a particular service as much as you put your time aside for it, and can meet the people and have a better chance at getting a rotation. just look at botsford and all the programs they offer. go to the school website and look under unit III, then search around the different base hospitals and you'll see what i mean. i know some kcom students also come up to a # of our hospitals and utilize them as a base (i think). good luck in your decision

Ratch said:
lol, every school prepares you for primary care; its the access to hospitals with programs you desire that is the difference. yes MSU has its rank for US world news or whatever, it really means little. the advantage of MSU is pretty clear if you look at the base hospitals the school offers and the opportunities that exist at them. nearly all of the osteopathic surgical subspecialities are in Michigan osteo hospitals. granted there are a handful elsewhere, but the majority of major programs are here, and the school has a great name and the state as a whole is very DO friendly (nothing against MO or anything, just my perspective). you will spend more than a year at one of these hospitals, be exposed to a particular service as much as you put your time aside for it, and can meet the people and have a better chance at getting a rotation. just look at botsford and all the programs they offer. go to the school website and look under unit III, then search around the different base hospitals and you'll see what i mean. i know some kcom students also come up to a # of our hospitals and utilize them as a base (i think). good luck in your decision

ya ya ya i know every school prepares me for primary care. That's mainly why I chose osteopathic medicine. I'm just wondering about the amount of opportunities outside of primary care that I could obtain. Thanks a ton for you're reply, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Yposhelley,

WHy would you pick DMU over both MSU and KCOM?

What really made DMU special for you?

Looking at it from a geograpichal standpoint, i wouldn't suspect there to be that much medical diversity in Iowa, or am i wrong because the school has roatations in Des Moines?