MSW and personal statement.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ex1844

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to Psy.D programs for clinical psych, but I am also applying to MSW programs as a backup plan. I can go either way really.

I currently have a B.A. in psych and philosophy and an M.A. in general psychology. Basically, my question was about the MSW personal statement.

Obviously, the MSW programs require a personal statement, but nothing specific. My question is: should I talk about my past research experience even in the MSW personal statement? I am obviously doing this for the Psy.D statement, but should I also include it in the MSW statement? I know the MSW program does require research classes, so I am assuming I should.

Also, do you think already having a graduate degree(M.A. in psych) will look good for admissions into an MSW program?

Unfortunately, my whole application is strong except GRE scores(for Psy.D). I did pretty good on the verbal and writing, but BOMBED on the math part. Math has always been my achilles heel. :eek:

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1. The research really isn't important for what you're going into, unless you're planning on the research social work path (it sounds like that isn't the case). So, I'd say you don't need to talk about it.

2. Depends on the program.

3. A lot of MSW programs don't ask for GREs, so... that's in your favor!

1. The research really isn't important for what you're going into, unless you're planning on the research social work path (it sounds like that isn't the case). So, I'd say you don't need to talk about it.

2. Depends on the program.

3. A lot of MSW programs don't ask for GREs, so... that's in your favor!

You are correct, I am not really interested in resarch. Though, I have worked on a number of research projects, including my thesis just to improve my application. Mainly, I'm all about the clinical side of mental health.

I don't think getting into an MSW program should be a problem for me. Unfortunately, with my bad math scores on the GRE, the Psy.D might be a problem. :mad::(

Well, shoot for the moon!

And yes, I'd say to leave off the research stuff, in that case (for MSW).