MSW to PhD/PsyD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dahresto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Probably a silly question; but has anyone encountered an individual with an MSW go the PsyD/PhD route?
Or should it just be wise to get some graduate certs from Harvard extension school?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes
2) Why do you want to go back to school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Both solid questions,
And you're right. I'm actually still in school (2nd year) of MSW program, as far as funding goes, its all been covered (undergrad and graduate school) by the VA.
I've just been talking about it with other MSWs/LCSWs in the field and they've considered it, never actually taken the leap towards a PhD/PsyD route and I was wondering if that something people in my profession would do since the MSW is pretty much a terminal degree (but being a LCSW has its perks obviously).

First thing you need to do is figure out what you want to do for a career, and can it be done as an LCSW. If it can't, you need to determine if it can be done with a PhD/PsyD. And if so, do you want to take 7+ years to go the PhD route or 6+ years and possibly 6 figure+ debt to go the PsyD route on top of the education you've already done.

Reactions: 3 users