Mt Sinai Beth Israel closing. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drranjit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It seems like Mt Sinai Beth Israel will be closing over the next few years. (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/n...attan-will-close-to-rebuild-smaller.html?_r=0)

However, its Gen Surg residency website is still active, and Freida still lists the program.

Do you guys know what will happen to the Gen Surg residency program at Mt Sinai BI? Are the residents going to be "transferred" elsewhere? Should we simply NOT apply there at all this cycle? And for those familiar with the NYC area, what program should we absolutely avoid as US allo students? (I thought BI was a pretty solid program...)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Avoid any hospital that will soon be closing.

Reactions: 3 users
Bump..

Can someone shed a little more light on this program's future?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's closing. I don't see how much more clear it can get.

Reactions: 1 user
what about for prelim though? Surely THAT should be OK?

what about for prelim though? Surely THAT should be OK?

No. it's not ok. When a hospital closes, it's a process that takes some time. Meanwhile, plenty of attending, nurses, etc, will leave in advance. Patient referrals will dry up. What extent that will have on your training? No idea. But your education may very well be compromised.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard rumors they will get swallowed by other Mt Sinai programs, so you might back door into the main program. If not, you become and orphan and go with acgme funding to any program willing to take the extra body. Beggars can't be choosers and you may have to end up no where near Nyc.

For us grads in Nyc, my recs are to stay with the academic programs, Columbia, Cornell, Mt Sinai, nyu, Einstein, downstate, and then St. Luke's /Roosevelt. Don't know much about the other programs, but they aren't worth going to Nyc over either . . .

I also recommend looking at the Nyc adjacent programs, like new York medical college in Westchester, and of course my home program of Rutgers NJMS in Newark, since they are 20-30 minutes away from the city, you don't have to deal with the city day to day (a few of my coresidents live in the city though), and at least for Rutgers, train you well and open enough doors for fellowship that besides peds, we aren't lacking.

I've heard rumors they will get swallowed by other Mt Sinai programs, so you might back door into the main program. If not, you become and orphan and go with acgme funding to any program willing to take the extra body. Beggars can't be choosers and you may have to end up no where near Nyc.

For us grads in Nyc, my recs are to stay with the academic programs, Columbia, Cornell, Mt Sinai, nyu, Einstein, downstate, and then St. Luke's /Roosevelt. Don't know much about the other programs, but they aren't worth going to Nyc over either . . .

I also recommend looking at the Nyc adjacent programs, like new York medical college in Westchester, and of course my home program of Rutgers NJMS in Newark, since they are 20-30 minutes away from the city, you don't have to deal with the city day to day (a few of my coresidents live in the city though), and at least for Rutgers, train you well and open enough doors for fellowship that besides peds, we aren't lacking.

Thank you for your advice. Any thoughts on NYMC Metropolitan Hospital Center program?

Thank you for your advice. Any thoughts on NYMC Metropolitan Hospital Center program?
Don't know anything about it. A university affiliated program so always a mixed bag with a bunch of private attendings which is probably busy with bread and butter but not at rare and complex stuff, and variable but probably ultimately limited operative and patient care autonomy. But most people leave this type of residences full capable surgeons. But Nyc nursing unions make things a bit more difficult than other comparable hospitals, with the caveat they aren't in Nyc, so depends on your needs