Mt Sinai MSBS or USC MGM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Killface31

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been accepted to both programs, and while I have a strong interest in global medicine, the weakness in my application is clearly my science grades. I got a 36S on MCAT, but I have a 3.0 sGPA and a 3.44 cGPA. I want to make the right decision here as my next application will likely be my last (after the masters program). Should I go the more science course heavy route with the Sinai MSBS or should I go with what I am more interested in with the USC MGM? Will the science courses at the USC MGM be enough to help improve my application in a substantial way? I have also been accepted to the University of Queensland/Ochsner MBBS program, and I am wondering if these masters would not really help that much and if I should just go to Australia and start med school there. I have a legitimate interest in all of these paths, but I am having difficulty choosing one. Any advice is appreciated.
 
If your problem area is GPA, then science heavy route trumps all. You have to keep your end goal in sight, which is to enter medicine.

It's starting to look like entering any program outside of the US is progressively decreasing the chances of practicing in the US. So it really depends on what your goal is and if you are willing to make that sacrifice of potentially having a harder time finding a residency of choice inside the US.