MU-WCOM vs ICOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

engineergirlie

BME to DO/MD
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am stuck between these two schools. I have had interviews at other schools, but I haven’t heard the best things about some of them and I prefer in-person lectures. I am hoping to go into diagnostic radiology or sports medicine. I have also had interviews at ACOM, LECOM (Erie), and NYITCOM (Arkansas). I know it is a bit early to debate now, as there could be more interviews with either MD or DO, but I’d love thoughts on this! These are my top 2 for DO schools.

MU-WCOM (Marian)
Pros
- Close to family (2.5 hour drive)
- Rotations with hospitals I’ve worked at previously
- Research opportunities

Cons
- Board pass rates have dropped since opening (main worry)
- Doesn’t show number of residency matches (just a map)

ICOM
Pros
- Great matches
- Good first-time board pass rates
- Loved the school when I visited (lots of support from staff)
- Possibility of becoming a state school

Cons
- Very far away from family (so plane tickets/gas prices will be a factor of cost)
- Not as many research opportunities (from what it seems)
- More expensive

Summary: Marian allows me to stay near family and work with hospitals I like, while ICOM feels super supportive and has great results (but it is more expensive and further away from family).
 
Last edited:
I would recommend Marian pretty easily. Cheaper, close to home and established. More opportunities too in Indianapolis
What about if I added ACOM into the mix? I saw that they have decent board pass rates, but I've heard some variable things on their remediation policy. They've had multiple matches into diagnostic radiology recently.
 
What about if I added ACOM into the mix? I saw that they have decent board pass rates, but I've heard some variable things on their remediation policy. They've had multiple matches into diagnostic radiology recently.
It's a fine program. The remediation policy was quite punitive before from what was shared by students posting here. I believe that has improved but do not recall the specifics or if we found out the actual numbers. Up to you if you'd like to move to a new region of the US.