Much more serious than what are my chances. Please take time to Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skyrockavatar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am somewhat new to this site and I have been reading a lot and trying my best to participate. I am currently a sophomore and a junior to be next semester. I think this is the best time to start planning so Please, I was wanting you guys to offer any advice what so ever that you have for me. Here we go

1. I am a Urm born in Africa and grew up here in the U.S (Brooklyn) Ive seen many of my friends get shot...Bad. I have taken two spring break trips with an n.g.o to volunteer and donate stuff in two African countries. Volunteered at hospitals and shadowed. I volunteered over 150 hours at a homeless shelter also.

2. Right now I have a gpa of 3.1 with only g chem and bio completed. Taking organic right now and starting physics next semester. I have 3 W's and will try my best not to take anymore. I also have transcripts from 4 different schools as I like to travel and take classes at various universities. I do not know what adcoms will think about that. I also had a c- in g chem 2 and plan on retaking. I understand that my first year especially put me behind a lot but, Im working really hard right now. I have BCPM classes to take in the 2 sems before I apply = no roomm for failure

3. Very important : I was considering taking both my physics classes in the summer but, I ve been accepted into SMDEP(Many ppl got rejected here) and do not know whether to ditch it and take physics to put me in a better position by having more room to raise my cum gpa and prepare for the mcat since I really do not want to take a year off. There is no harm in that but I'm trying to avoid it.

4. I am a bio major but really considering changing my major to french because I am really good at it. I have a strong base which is easy to build on. My science g.p.a though if I decide to change my major is likely to hover around a 3.2/3.3. My cum gpa will rise bcuz of the french classes.

5. I know some of you might suggest a D.O route but my situation is very different. I do not only want to practice in the U.S. I want to perform surgeries back in Africa. We need this. A lot of polio and all forms of deformities. I want to avoid confusion so M.D is what it has to be. Trust me if this was not the case, D.O would be just fine for me.

Guys please help me make educated decisions especially in the case of smdep and this summer. I can also take an incomplete in the program and leave early to complete my organic series. I considered online classes but I hate them.

Members don't see this ad.

Med School apps are not all about the numbers. Just pick up the MSAR and you can see the variety of GPA's and scores taken in even the top schools.

Your background and experiences are truly unique and I'm sure the admissions committee will take that into account. Just apply disadvantaged on your AMCAS and you will get some brownie points.

I think you still have a chance at an MD, just try your hardest in your classes.

Not sure what the question is, to be honest. I think you should keep trying hard in your classes and do really well on the MCAT. Are you a US citizen?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I am somewhat new to this site and I have been reading a lot and trying my best to participate. I am currently a sophomore and a junior to be next semester. I think this is the best time to start planning so Please, I was wanting you guys to offer any advice what so ever that you have for me. Here we go

1. I am a Urm born in Africa and grew up here in the U.S (Brooklyn) Ive seen many of my friends get shot...Bad. I have taken two spring break trips with an n.g.o to volunteer and donate stuff in two African countries. Volunteered at hospitals and shadowed. I volunteered over 150 hours at a homeless shelter also.

2. Right now I have a gpa of 3.1 with only g chem and bio completed. Taking organic right now and starting physics next semester. I have 3 W's and will try my best not to take anymore. I also have transcripts from 4 different schools as I like to travel and take classes at various universities. I do not know what adcoms will think about that. I also had a c- in g chem 2 and plan on retaking. I understand that my first year especially put me behind a lot but, Im working really hard right now. I have BCPM classes to take in the 2 sems before I apply = no roomm for failure

3. Very important : I was considering taking both my physics classes in the summer but, I ve been accepted into SMDEP(Many ppl got rejected here) and do not know whether to ditch it and take physics to put me in a better position by having more room to raise my cum gpa and prepare for the mcat since I really do not want to take a year off. There is no harm in that but I'm trying to avoid it.

4. I am a bio major but really considering changing my major to french because I am really good at it. I have a strong base which is easy to build on. My science g.p.a though if I decide to change my major is likely to hover around a 3.2/3.3. My cum gpa will rise bcuz of the french classes.

5. I know some of you might suggest a D.O route but my situation is very different. I do not only want to practice in the U.S. I want to perform surgeries back in Africa. We need this. A lot of polio and all forms of deformities. I want to avoid confusion so M.D is what it has to be. Trust me if this was not the case, D.O would be just fine for me.

Guys please help me make educated decisions especially in the case of smdep and this summer. I can also take an incomplete in the program and leave early to complete my organic series. I considered online classes but I hate them.

my advice:

1) change your major and ace your french classes. schools don't care what major you are. just make sure to take a few upper level bios and do well so they know you can handle it.
2)retake gen chem C- at the same time or before taking orgo. if you retake after orgo they're not really gonna care and instead are gonna ask you why you didn't just take biochem or some other higher level chem and do well to prove your point instead.
3) if you wanna practice in africa, why don't you apply to african medical schools too? also, if you're gonna be practicing overseas anyway, i would apply to some caribbean schools for backup, in case you don't have much luck with US schools. those stats will still keep you competitive with places like Ross.
4) accept the fact that if it has to be a U.S. allopathic school, you may very well need to take a year "off" after graduate to take more classes and boost your GPA. of course, if you keep at it with ~3.2 and nail your MCAT (>30) then you may not have to take more classes.
5) don't forget to apply to HBCs like Howard and Mercer. I think Howard would probably accept you as you are.

Thats fine this thread got moved as long as I am getting answers and the much needed help.

I am a U.S permanent resident

I am already taking orgo 1 so maybe I might just take biochem and do my best there.

I will actually apply to schools in the carribean but, my problem is matching into something somewhat competitive such as surgery to be able to offer it where its lacking. The mix of western technology and education will be a great addition to my future desire. African medical schools will certainly not let me in. Everything is political and only rich kids get in anywhere.

The main questions are :

1) should I change my major to french?

2)SHould I not go to SMDEP?

3) And most importantly, Am I on the right track. Also how do med schools feel about many transcripts?

Schools aren't really going to care that you have a lot of transcripts, as long as you get a degree eventually and you have an okay reason for it. Wanting to travel is fine. Your GPA is a bit low, but probably borderline okay for a black URM. Retakes would be good, and try to do a little better in your future pre-reqs.

If you think you can do better as a French major, switch. With your low GPA, you need all the help you can get.

This is going to sound terrible, but if you're a male, you have even better chances. Add a 28+ MCAT to your current stats and I can see you getting into your state schools as well as the HBCs. Let's put it this way... There are two black guys in my med school class. Five black girls. Our class number is 156. Schools would kill for half-way qualified black males and probably fight over the girls, but probably not kill anyone.

Schools aren't really going to care that you have a lot of transcripts, as long as you get a degree eventually and you have an okay reason for it. Wanting to travel is fine. Your GPA is a bit low, but probably borderline okay for a black URM. Retakes would be good, and try to do a little better in your future pre-reqs.

If you think you can do better as a French major, switch. With your low GPA, you need all the help you can get.

This is going to sound terrible, but if you're a male, you have even better chances. Add a 28+ MCAT to your current stats and I can see you getting into your state schools as well as the HBCs. Let's put it this way... There are two black guys in my med school class. Five black girls. Our class number is 156. Schools would kill for half-way qualified black males and probably fight over the girls, but probably not kill anyone.

Thanks Thalia, Very encouraging. I am a black male and I hope that helps. Im sure I can definitely use all the help I can get.

What about research? Do you guys think that I should try to get some experience? I honestly do not have heart for it but will do it if it will help me with admission. Im more for extensive community service. What do you guys think?