Much needed HELP from Wise Med Students!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luwi25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...I just graduated pre-med/bio from UCLA last June and in terms of med
schools, I have a dilemma. I need your honest advice on what you'd do if you were
me.
Dilemma (2 choices):

1.Go to Med school this september in England. Although it is the St.Christopher's
college of med program which is sort of set up like the Carribean med school
programs (I've done some research on it and it's a pretty decent program although it
is still OFFshore) or...

2. Apply this June for Med school in the U.S. for the first time (for entering Sep. 2003)
while in the meantime, working on attaining my public health degree at UCLA PH
school (which I already got accepted for.)
Stats: GPA cum 3.4
lower division science GPA 3.1
upper division science GPA 3.65
MCAT (7v, 9p, 11b, s)
I have the usual med student
research/internship experience and could
write a great personal statement.

What do you guys think. You've been through the process, you know how
admissions/stats for U.S. med schools work cause you've all been through it. Should
I try to apply to the U.S. while going to public health school? Do you think I'd have a
chance to get into ANY US med school (if so...where?) or would I merely be wasting my
time/money/energy even attempting to apply. All honest opinions would be GREATLY
appreciated. thanks Guys! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you can stay in the states, stay in the states.
Form what I glean from friends and FMGs, the road back to even non-competitive specialities is hard.

I would save the offshore option as a last resort.

S0upb0ne

are you going to finish your public health degree before you enroll in medical school? some med schools might question your committment to education if you skip out on your degree.
i think get more extracurriculars/volunteer work, be one year into your public health degree (it is two years, right?), and apply wisely (to a good amount..you from CA right? and variety of medical schools).
the last poster was correct that even in non competitive specialities, IMG have hard times getting in. (this has to do with the particular hospital or location they might have wanted).