Multiple AACOMAS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a plethora of AACOMAS questions, but I have not found solid answers on the forums. So, please feel free to answer what you know! Thanks!

1. My mother and my father attended community college; but neither received an associates degree. They only attended to get certificates back in the 90's. Am I considered a first generation college student? Some people have said that it is about whether or not they have went to a 4 year university and received a degree. Can someone provide clarification here, please?

2. I also come from a school district where less than half of student's attend college. With this alone, am I considered URM in medicine? If I am deemed to be a first generation college student, am I considered to be URM in medicine? If yes, should I even claim that? I have read that by claiming it, you have to explain how it has negatively impacted your life. Can someone provide better insight to this?

3. I plan on taking future coursework to satisfy one last requirement. I can just list this as future coursework, and it should be able to count for the requirement, correct? So, my hypothetical question is: there are some schools that require this class and others that do not. If I get accepted into a school that does not require this class, then I should be able to contact them and tell them I am not planning on taking that class and it should be fine, right?

4. On the experiences in AACOMAS, it says "Descriptions/Key responsibilities." I have read where some people wrote what their jobs / volunteer responsibilities were while others wrote how their experiences impacted them and their decision to pursue medicine. Which should a applicant do? Which is appropriate? Which does an admissions committee prefer to see?

5. I have research that I have presented. Should I list that as a research experiences, and then list it has a presentation as well or should I only list it once? I also received an award for my research, should I list that separately as an "Award"? I just do not want to list it too many times to make it look like more than what it is unless it is appropriate to do so.

6. I may have more questions as these get answered. Thanks again everyone!

Members don't see this ad.