1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Multiple Acceptance Offers?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by mitoman77, Dec 3, 2008.

1. mitoman77

2+ Year Member

So I've been accepted into a decent MD/PhD program. Not necessarily my first choice, but I'd be happy there.

I have a few more interviews coming up with programs I'd prefer to go to. Obviously I've accepted the offer I have in case I get no others.

However I've been offered interviews at schools that probably would be below where I have already accepted. So that brings up a couple of questions.

Is it bad to mention in an interview that you have already been accepted? I mean I can see it making you look more attractive, that other people want you. But also I can see it making you seem arrogant, or worse that you already are accepted so they can offer an acceptance to someone else.

And if it is okay to mention is it worth it to go to other interviews I may not be as excited about in order be able to say I was accepted at 2 or 3 other schools (assuming that may happen)?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pazan

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was in a similar situation, except interviewing at a better school after I'd already been accepted at a good MSTP. No one asked me if I'd been accepted to a school... the "where else have you interviewed?" question came up a lot, and I mentioned the school where I was accepted and what I liked and didn't like about it, but never said I'd been accepted. I don't think they'll put you on the spot and ask about an acceptance and bringing up an acceptance without being prompted can make you sound like you're gloating. Mentioning and acceptance is hard to pull-off, and, in my opinion, it's better not to let it possibly hurt you.

As far as going to other interviews just so you can say you were accepted to multiple schools... I think not going is common sense. It would be a waste of money and time unless you might actually attend the school. I cancelled 4 interviews after getting in because I wouldn't go to those schools over the one that accepted me.

4. mitoman77

2+ Year Member

I see what your saying. I guess for me I'm located pretty close to all my schools so the money to travel and interview would be worth it if in the long run multiple acceptances made me a more attractive candidate to my higher choice schools.

But if that doesn't help then yeah, I may consider cancelling some of these interviews.

5. themudphud

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    it's been a while since i interviewed for mstp programs but i don't think multiple acceptances at lower tier schools will make you more attractive to your preferred schools. i doubt it would have any effect at all and i think you would probably be wasting your time. the most you would get out of it is to meet some of the faculty at the other schools.
    interview season is a stressful time, i would not go to any interviews at schools that are less preferable than the one you have already gotten into. take the extra time to rest, think about your other interviews and come up with other substantial ways to make yourself more attractive to your top choice schools.
    feel free to contact me with any questions.