Multiple Acceptances and Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeamZissou

jaferd
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that if you hold multiple MD acceptances sometimes when schools release the financial aid they will "compete" with other schools and offer tuition discounts and scholarships.

I know its not as common for people to hold multiple acceptances to DO because of the costs of the deposits. But should one decide to fork out the money for multiple deposits, does anyone know if the DO financial aid packages work the same way as MD schools?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Subscribed because I am interested in this too.

I agree this is a great question and I've been wondering the same -- hopefully someone here knows more about this than we do!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know its not as common for people to hold multiple acceptances to DO because of the costs of the deposits.

You can look at the Class of 2013 and previous years to know that statement is not true. There are a few DO schools that give out scholarships to individuals but I believe (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) most of them give scholarships based on merit versus a way of trying to keep the certain students at their institution. DMU gives out a couple full, half, and quarter scholarships to students with a certain GPA and MCAT.

I qualified for a $2000 scholarship at KCOM because of my gpa and MCAT scores, but I can't remember the cutoffs. I haven't heard anything else from the other schools I've been accepted at though. It's going to be expensive.

I qualified for a $2000 scholarship at KCOM because of my gpa and MCAT scores, but I can't remember the cutoffs. I haven't heard anything else from the other schools I've been accepted at though. It's going to be expensive.

When did they let you know that?? Have you been speaking to their office since being accepted or did they just offer it to you?

That would be awesome.

Unfortunately, financial merit more than likely will not be equitable to 3+ deposits. I wish we were giving conditional award letters like in undergrad. It may have swayed my choice, possibly. However, I had to cast the possible thought of aid aside because there is no way to compare between schools.

When did they let you know that?? Have you been speaking to their office since being accepted or did they just offer it to you?

That would be awesome.

They told me during my interview. I'm pretty sure that it is only for the first year though, so a $2000 credit towards $150,000++ of debt really isn't that significant. But I guess every bit helps.

You can look at the Class of 2013 and previous years to know that statement is not true. There are a few DO schools that give out scholarships to individuals but I believe (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) most of them give scholarships based on merit versus a way of trying to keep the certain students at their institution. DMU gives out a couple full, half, and quarter scholarships to students with a certain GPA and MCAT.

I can tell you it is true. Although many applicants receive multiple acceptances to DO schools, few of them put down the deposits to secure and hold their seat through the time in the season when financial aid packets are awarded. So to reiterate what I'm asking is if there is anyone out there who actually DID pay the deposits and if it had any outcome on your financial aid packets. Perhaps I would have done better to post this in the osteopathic thread, but I think the pre-meds are interested in this as well...

Or even better if there is anyone on the adcoms for DO schools out there who could comment on this it would be greatly appreciated!

I can tell you it is true. Although many applicants receive multiple acceptances to DO schools, few of them put down the deposits to secure and hold their seat through the time in the season when financial aid packets are awarded. So to reiterate what I'm asking is if there is anyone out there who actually DID pay the deposits and if it had any outcome on your financial aid packets. Perhaps I would have done better to post this in the osteopathic thread, but I think the pre-meds are interested in this as well...

Or even better if there is anyone on the adcoms for DO schools out there who could comment on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe your right about posting in the osteopathic forum instead of pre-osteo forum because as "pre-meds" we can only give you answers based on information we 'heard', read, or researched. I believe there are more students than you think who get into a school early on and end up paying two deposits because they were accepted into their first choice DO school later in the application year. I haven't heard any DO school offering a student more FA because they put down a deposit at another DO school although I have heard that sometimes that it can help you gain an acceptance from a waitlist. But then again I'm just a pre-med. :rolleyes::rolleyes: