Multiple acceptances - deposits, reserved seats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wya2020

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you have to pay a deposit to reserve a seat. No other schools cannot see it. Yes, you can deposit at multiple schools and weigh all options.
However, there is a final date (like may 1st - cant remember for sure) that you have to select 1 school and withdraw from all others; after that date, your name and where you hold a seat at is available to all school that you are holding acceptances to. If after this date, you still hold multiple seats, schools can rescind your offer which is why it is strongly encouraged you pick one by that date.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you have to pay a deposit to reserve a seat. No other schools cannot see it. Yes, you can deposit at multiple schools and weigh all options.
However, there is a final date (like may 1st - cant remember for sure) that you have to select 1 school and withdraw from all others; after that date, your name and where you hold a seat at is available to all school that you are holding acceptances to. If after this date, you still hold multiple seats, schools can rescind your offer which is why it is strongly encouraged you pick one by that date.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I have to respond within a specific time frame to a school in regards to their offer, does that mean I will then be bound to attend that school? I am still waiting to hear back from another school (top choice) and do not want to accidentally withdraw if I accept an offer elsewhere (my state school that I also love) simply bc of an impending deadline.

do I have to pay the deposit at every school to reserve a seat? Do other schools know when you accept offers? I think the policy varies by school but I wanted to clarify

best of luck to us all with this unique cycle!
The magic day is April 30. As @Rogue42 said, until then you can hold as many seats as you like by just paying the deposits.

Schools that have accepted you can no longer see where else you are accepted. After April 30, however, they can see if you are have complied with the traffic rules and narrowed your school list to one acceptance. If you have not then your acceptance(s) can be rescinded. This provides strong incentive to make up your mind before April 30.

Reactions: 2 users
Just to add to this: the "new" traffic "rules" leaves the final determination of acceptance protocols via the Choose Your Medical School (CYMS) tool. Each school can set their own date for Plan To Enroll (PTE) and Commit To Enroll (CTE). The vast majority of schools have April 30 as their PTE date. Here you must select the school but you can remain on any and all waiting lists and change schools if you get an alternate acceptance via WL. Most schools have a CTE date that is either 21 or 30 days prior to the school's start of classes/orientation. Here you must pick your final school and withdraw from all wait lists. All schools who have you on wait list can see when you have CTE at a school (they wont know which school just that you have done so at some school). So if you try to stay on a waitlist after you have CTE, it is highly doubtful that you will get an alternate offer as they know you have CTE and you risk having your acceptance rescinded from the CTE school without recourse. Additionally, no school is required to provide any financial info prior to PTE or CTE and you may have a decision blind. Lastly, some schools have atypical CTE dates (there was/is one I believe that you have to commit on 4/30). It is up to each acceptee to know what each school's policy is. Failure to adhere to the school's specific policy can leave you without a seat when the music stops,
I believe USUHS and a couple others are CTE April 30th