Multiple "branches"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wylde

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

When I "research" osteopathic schools, I'm always a little confused why there are schools that have the same name in different locations (ie AT Stills, Touro, etc.).

Is there a reason why these schools branch out in different areas instead of pouring all of their resources into one location?

Are these schools for-profit or something?

This is just something I've always been curious about.

Members don't see this ad.

They are not for profit, and I'd imagine that, after an initial investment, each school will be able to function independently, so its not like all the branches are sucking resources from the original one.

Setting up a branch campus is a pathway of least resistance for starting a new med school. Since the parent school is already established and doing well, the branch campus doesn't carry as much educational liability since the people running the school already have a successful model in place. Furthermore, branch campus students qualify for federal aid, whereas schools from scratch must gain full accreditation before federal aid is granted. This is a popular thing in the DO world, but it happens in the MD world too (e.g Mercer University in Georgia has a main campus in Macon and a new branch opening in Savannah this Fall)

Members don't see this ad :)
The two AT Still Campuses are completely different from each other. I don't know much about Touro but I am sure that they are similar.

I think in the grand scheme of training more doctors, it will be better to establish new schools instead of just increasing class size.

Also, with DO schools, as they branch out across the country, it will probably be better to be started underneath a well established school than to start from scratch.

Hello,

When I "research" osteopathic schools, I'm always a little confused why there are schools that have the same name in different locations (ie AT Stills, Touro, etc.).

Is there a reason why these schools branch out in different areas instead of pouring all of their resources into one location?

Are these schools for-profit or something?

This is just something I've always been curious about.

There is only one DO school that is for profit. It's Rocky Vista University, and has been discussed millions of times on the boards. Don't assume any DO schools are for profit.

Second, the reason why these branch campuses open up where they do is because the main campuses are usually well established and have the resources to open up a campus where osteopathic medicine is poorly represented or are 'in need of primary care physicians.' You can be the judge about why these schools open up branch campuses, a lot of people take issue with DO campuses shooting up so quickly, but I personally like to think schools open up branch campuses a. because they can and b. because it's a good spot for a new school.

Allopathic schools have branch campuses too. They just tend to not cross state lines as much. Indiana University has multiple campuses throughout the state. I'm honestly not too sure about other schools, but I'm sure there are more.

Touro - NY is NOT a branch, it is its own College. Touro - NV is a branch of Touro -CA and has received full accreditation.

Because they knew my husband would rather live in Phoenix than Chicago. :smuggrin:

Touro - NY is NOT a branch, it is its own College. Touro - NV is a branch of Touro -CA and has received full accreditation.

How is Touro-NY not a branch?

Another branch that went up this last year...UA and ASU made a joint program in Phoenix....while of course keeping the UA med program as well.

I just kind of wish they could have their own unique name for the branch campuses. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Atlanta just lack the flow. (If I got the titles wrong...sorry, but you get the idea)

I agree. I am pretty sure Touro-NY is a branch.

I spoke with our dean about this and he stated that they are their own free standing college and are not a branch of Touro-CA. I will look up more info on this but this is the last I was told by administration.

How is Touro-NY not a branch?

TOUROCOM is not a branch of Touro-CA. They have provisional accreditation as they have applied as a new COM and not a branch.

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/108/3/121

"Three new COMs were established in 2005 with provisional accreditation status granted at COCA meetings in the following calendar year. Each of the following COMs matriculated their first class last fall and looks forward to holding its first graduation ceremony in spring 2011: ATSU-SOMA (n=100), LMU-DCOM (n=150), and TOUROCOM (n=125). Provisional accreditation status was established for ATSU-SOMA and LMU-DCOM on September 9-10, 2006; TOUROCOM on December 9-10, 2006."

http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_college
http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/reprint/107/3/126.pdf

Note how Touro-NV is denoted as a branch and TouroCOM is not.

I just kind of wish they could have their own unique name for the branch campuses. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Atlanta just lack the flow. (If I got the titles wrong...sorry, but you get the idea)

Hmmmm, "Lee-com Bee Baybeh" roles off my tongue pretty snazzily :D

Box29 is correct. TouroCOM-NY is independent from Touro-NV and Touro-CA, though we still root for them when they compete against the LECOM schools in the bi-annual Battle of the Branches Chili Cookoff.

It would be nice to not have to explain that I am going to Lake Erie in Florida... and it's a branch and the yada yada that I inevitably feel obligated to spew.

It would be nice to not have to explain that I am going to Lake Erie in Florida... and it's a branch and the yada yada that I inevitably feel obligated to spew.

That's my thing. When the name of the founding school conflicts with the new location.

I think the difference between branch campus and new college is really small in the case of touro.

Of course, this comes from the touro college website as well, "This accreditation status covers Touro College and its branch campuses, locations and instructional sites in the New York area, as well as branch campuses and programs in Berlin, Jerusalem, Moscow, and Florida." Even if a school is technically considered independent, the touro name seems to be almost a franchise thing at this point. While you manage the place and it may be stand alone, you still are going by some central authority's guidelines and contracts. If it were completely independent, then it'd seem kind of pointless to use the Touro name.

I had no idea there was a touro college campus in Berlin...I spent a huge amount of time in the jewish area as well. And yes, I know that touro college means the undergrad part, but they are all affiliated in my eyes.

An example that isn't afflicted by it's name as a sister school....AZCOM