Multiple Interviews in a few Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone done multiple interviews in a few days? Such as 2 in 3 days. If so, how did you plan it out to make it work without being super tired and still on time with everything,

Members don't see this ad.

youngin said:
Hey, has anyone done multiple interviews in a few days? Such as 2 in 3 days. If so, how did you plan it out to make it work without being super tired and still on time with everything,

The most I had was one on saturday then one on tuesday, and had to be at work on the monday...I was dead tired. To avoid getting so tired during travel, try carrying only one baggage. I carried only one bag, one of those thingies that you put your suit in. I put everything else in there.

Best of luck,

Lub

it's difficult late in the process. Early on, I had one particularly crazy stretch. I left home Tuesday for an interview Wed. Got home late (~1 am) late wed. night, left thursday morning for a cross country flight for a Friday interview, came home late sat. night. The next week I had 4 interviews where I live.

Then this last week, I had an interview Monday in one city, left the next day for two interviews in two days in a different (but also midwestern) city.

How to stay fresh? I'd recommend taking a one day break (ideally), and NEVER 3 interviews in a row. Having a short break gives you time to take a deep breath...while giving enough continuity for you to stay in a groove.

good luck.

Edit: best advice for air travel is to stay hydrated. Get plenty of rest. I got to st. Louis around 1 am due to delays and didn't sleep until 2 am....I was really not sharp the next day during my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I am thinking about trying to do is leave Monday, interview on Tuesday, leave Tuesday afternoon, arrive to the next city, then interview Wed. morning come back and go to lab at 8 the next morning.

did 10 interviews in 3 wks. i managed to stay fresh for them by taking a day in btwn and weekends off. also went running after the interviews to clear the mind and get those endorphins going. also planned like mad beforehand. did things like printed out maps on mapquest for the taxi drivers. you'll do great! good luck!

I did 4 interviews in 4 straight days in 3 different cities (miami, nyc and chicago) and managed to survive. What really was key was printing out all necessary information (phone numbers, schedules, maps etc) before starting the whirlwind "tour." Once I had done that, it was smooth sailing. Once I was out on the interview trail, I focused on one school/location at a time and didn't worry about the others because I knew had all the information necessary in my bag for when I'd need it. That made it less stressful for me. Also, wearing your suit everyday and answering very similar questions for 4 straight days allows you to get in a routine and not be nervous because, hey,this is what you do everyday.

ahhhh yes... tough stuff, I have to say. Most of my interviews had one day in between (ex. Fly out on a Monday, interview Tuesday, half day at work on Wednesday, fly out Wednesday night, interview Thursday, fly home Thursday night, work Friday, collapse, rinse, repeat... ;) ) But, as I'm reading here, this situation seems pretty common. More than likely, most of your fellow interviewees will be in the same situation. So, do your best to remain as rested as possible (in my experience, I was always more rested when I stayed in a hotel as opposed to w/ a student, although my bank account is reflective of that now... weigh pros and cons on that one I guess...)

Also, if at all possible, DEFINITELY leave a day in between. I flew home after one interview, and the next morning was on the subway traveling to a second. Not only did I not even have 6 hours between when I got home to when I was out the door again for interview #2, but my mind got all jumbled w/ details from both schools. Not a good situation. So yeah, you can do it, definitely do your research (maps, transportation etc) ahead of time, and stay rested as much as possible... and bring lots of munchies... :D

Thanks for all the input. How did you guys do it logistically like did you stay at a hotel that night or just sleep in the airport, go to teh school and just go with it?

Edit: Typed a little too slow with Soprano's comment answering the question.

youngin said:
Thanks for all the input. How did you guys do it logistically like did you stay at a hotel that night or just sleep in the airport, go to teh school and just go with it?

I stayed at hotels, even if it meant checking in around midnight. Maybe its different for guys (at least, guys who are very low maintenance), but I would strongly suggest not just hanging out at the airport without a shower. I also booked flights that didn't involve coming home and just bounced from destination to destination.

I echo the advice given previously - I had 4 interviews in 5 days earlier - all in different cities. Logistically it was relatively smooth sailing (except for developing an extreme hatred for my suit) thanks to planning well. It was amazing how mundane it all becomes. By the fourth (friday) I was probably not as enthusiastic and chipper in response to hte same lame questions we always get however. Interestingly enough, I think the fact that I was so burned out by that point is closely tied in my memory to that school - I have since withdrawn my application... oh well.

soprano said:
Also, if at all possible, DEFINITELY leave a day in between. I flew home after one interview, and the next morning was on the subway traveling to a second. Not only did I not even have 6 hours between when I got home to when I was out the door again for interview #2, but my mind got all jumbled w/ details from both schools. Not a good situation.

I can relate to this. I had three interviews over a nine-day span and got a couple very minor things mixed up. I even asked one of the med students giving the tour about something noteworthy about their residency matchlist a few years ago, which she was not aware of. It later dawned on me that I was actually thinking of the matchlist from the school where I interviewed the week before. Woops :D

i drove 7 hours...had 1 interview on Friday.
spent the nite Sat...drove 4 hours. relaxed on Sunday.
had second interview on Monday. By the time it was
time to go Monday I didn't stay to watch a class or
anything. I high-tailed it out of there. I was a lil
irritated b/c the tours were so long and spread out
on Monday but everything worked out.

hey guys; i had to book dates at the same time b.c i didnt want to take too much time off work; i have one on tues,thurs,fri, following mond, tues, wed. Im glad i have the wknd but reckon im in for an interesting time.
Do you guys think it is rude to have a student host but not arrive at their place till 10? one of my flights just happens to work out that way. I dont want it to feel like im using them just for the room, but I guess i kind of am.

Haybrant said:
hey guys; i had to book dates at the same time b.c i didnt want to take too much time off work; i have one on tues,thurs,fri, following mond, tues, wed. Im glad i have the wknd but reckon im in for an interesting time.
Do you guys think it is rude to have a student host but not arrive at their place till 10? one of my flights just happens to work out that way. I dont want it to feel like im using them just for the room, but I guess i kind of am.

I don't know what med students are like, but for the new undergrads coming in, i've had one come at 12 at nite, which was fine with me because I am still up at that time. However, leaves little time to converse and let the student feel dorm life.

I did three interviews (two in Philly, one in New Orleans) in three days. I would have enjoyed them more if I could have done them individually. It was very exhausting. But, it saved money. :)