Multiple MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sed8&Intub8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.

So I know multiple MCATs are viewed somewhat negatively. I performed very poor on the MCAT the first time I took it, got a 19 (8, 3, 8). Always struggled with verbal (english is my third language), however, I didn't study, I was young and dumb and thought I could just wing it. Took it a second time got a 24 (9, 7, 8), this time I didn't get to finish studying because my PI changed his mind and demanded I come back to lab 6 weeks earlier than we had agreed. Finally, after grad school I got to properly study for the MCAT, and so far I don't have my scores back yet but my AAMC average was a 35, I am confident I got at least 30 this time around.

So my question is, the first MCAT was about 5 years ago, the second was 2 years ago. How are older MCATs viewed by the adcoms? And say, I do poorly, or not as good as I liked on my third MCAT, should I do a fourth one?

Members don't see this ad.

Go back in time and slap yourself for thinking about taking that exam 5 years ago. Anyways, MCAT is a large piece of the pie but not the entire pie. You haven't given us any further info about you. The 35 is excellent, good for you if that happens, and assuming the rest of your stats are legit, I'm thinking you stand a pretty good shot at matriculation somewhere. It probably won't be at a top school because some schools will average your MCAT scores while some will take your best, etc.

However, we don't know if you truly did that well this time around, so I'm speculating on your speculation, which in hindsight is probably a waste of both my time and yours.

Go back in time and slap yourself for thinking about taking that exam 5 years ago. Anyways, MCAT is a large piece of the pie but not the entire pie. You haven't given us any further info about you. The 35 is excellent, good for you if that happens, and assuming the rest of your stats are legit, I'm thinking you stand a pretty good shot at matriculation somewhere. It probably won't be at a top school because some schools will average your MCAT scores while some will take your best, etc.

However, we don't know if you truly did that well this time around, so I'm speculating on your speculation, which in hindsight is probably a waste of both my time and yours.

Thanks for the reply. My main question is not about my chances or anything. I just was curious about how old MCATs are viewed. Does the fact that my first MCAT was 5 years ago look better or worse than say if I took them all within a year or two?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, I suppose that is a good question. One of the gurus of this forum could guide you on that. You have to release all of your scores so they will see all of that jazz... The fact that the terrible score was 5 years ago is better than if it were earlier this year, however.

Reactions: 1 users
At some point the scores are no longer included in the report i.e. ADCOMS will see the date but not the score. However, I think it takes longer than 5 years.
Edit: I could be wrong. I can't find where I saw that...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There's nothing you can do about it now, so quit worrying about it and focus on what you can do in the future.

I don't think you had any other choice other than to retake. You were very very unlikely to get in anywhere with a 24 and if you will swing a 30+ then you're only a lost cause at the schools that wouldn't have overlooked that 19 to begin with. I think that 3 MCATs in 5 years is very different from 3 MCATs in 1 year. You aren't the same applicant each time you took the test, and you aren't just taking and retaking right before application to get a few points higher. I don't think that typical retaking dogma applies here. Would you be better off without the 19? Definitely. That said, there is nothing you can do except show that you are capable of and apply broadly to a relatively large number of schools. If you read on a school website that they average your scores together, it's probably not a good place to apply. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
OP already retook the MCAT.

Anyway, it certainly doesn't reflect well on decision making to take it the first time while unprepared, nor does it reflect well to take it a second time without preparing properly. But like I said you can't change the past, so you just have to take your newest score and run with it.

I think your life story alone will make up for the multiple attempts and early poor scores.

There are schools that will avg, and there are those that will take the best composite scores. Call some Admissions deans to see what the doctrine is at their schools and apply accordingly, and strategically.

So I know multiple MCATs are viewed somewhat negatively. I performed very poor on the MCAT the first time I took it, got a 19 (8, 3, 8). Always struggled with verbal (english is my third language), however, I didn't study, I was young and dumb and thought I could just wing it. Took it a second time got a 24 (9, 7, 8), this time I didn't get to finish studying because my PI changed his mind and demanded I come back to lab 6 weeks earlier than we had agreed. Finally, after grad school I got to properly study for the MCAT, and so far I don't have my scores back yet but my AAMC average was a 35, I am confident I got at least 30 this time around.

So my question is, the first MCAT was about 5 years ago, the second was 2 years ago. How are older MCATs viewed by the adcoms? And say, I do poorly, or not as good as I liked on my third MCAT, should I do a fourth one?

@SwedishMD2B Engelska är mitt 3e språk också! Vad pratar du annars :D? Sorry folks! not everyday you see a Swedish comrade on the forums!

Schools vary on how they consider multiple MCAT scores. For instance:

University of Virginia, Temple, and Georgetown only consider the most recent MCAT score set. Tufts considers the highest score set. George Washington actually considers the highest score for each individual sub section for all MCAT score sets. Boston U considers all submitted MCAT score sets.

There's nothing you can do about it now, so quit worrying about it and focus on what you can do in the future.

I know I can do absolutely nothing about it. It's not something I am stressing over, it's something I am curious about.

I don't think you had any other choice other than to retake. You were very very unlikely to get in anywhere with a 24 and if you will swing a 30+ then you're only a lost cause at the schools that wouldn't have overlooked that 19 to begin with. I think that 3 MCATs in 5 years is very different from 3 MCATs in 1 year. You aren't the same applicant each time you took the test, and you aren't just taking and retaking right before application to get a few points higher. I don't think that typical retaking dogma applies here. Would you be better off without the 19? Definitely. That said, there is nothing you can do except show that you are capable of and apply broadly to a relatively large number of schools. If you read on a school website that they average your scores together, it's probably not a good place to apply. Good luck!

Thank you! This actually helps a lot I didn't know schools looked at scores differently, this is something I will consider when choosing schools.

I think your life story alone will make up for the multiple attempts and early poor scores.

There are schools that will avg, and there are those that will take the best composite scores. Call some Admissions deans to see what the doctrine is at their schools and apply accordingly, and strategically.

Thanks! But, what story, I'm just saying that because I didn't really share my life story here? I will be doing research, sending emails, and making calls!

@SwedishMD2B Engelska är mitt 3e språk också! Vad pratar du annars :D? Sorry folks! not everyday you see a Swedish comrade on the forums!

Hejjjjj!! Jag pratar franska också. Vad pratar du?

Schools vary on how they consider multiple MCAT scores. For instance:

University of Virginia, Temple, and Georgetown only consider the most recent MCAT score set. Tufts considers the highest score set. George Washington actually considers the highest score for each individual sub section for all MCAT score sets. Boston U considers all submitted MCAT score sets.

Oh wow, thanks a lot! Do you know if there is a guide or something that has all this info put together?

My guess would be that Goro meant having English as a 3rd language as well as growing up/maturing/reinventing yourself by going to grad school (and hopefully doing well) as well as hopefully scoring close to your average of a 35.

I assume you're a emigrant? First in family to go to college? Not a child of priviledge?

verbal (english is my third language),
Thanks! But, what story, I'm just saying that because I didn't really share my life story here? I will be doing research, sending emails, and making calls!

@SwedishMD2B Persiska :D. Snackar svenska me syskonen, persiska med föräldrarna, och engelska me resten haha. är du stockholmare?

I assume you're a emigrant? First in family to go to college? Not a child of priviledge?

yes, 2nd to go, and yes. You're good.

Hi Goro, I have a question about the first generation college attendant thing. What if your parents obtained a college degree way back in the days and were pretty much forced to do something else? for example, my father had a college degree in his home country, but he had to move to another country because of war and he was not able to continue on his degree because he needed to provide. Technically, he attended college but did not utilize his degree due to severe circumstances.

@SwedishMD2B Persiska :D. Snackar svenska me syskonen, persiska med föräldrarna, och engelska me resten haha. är du stockholmare?

Aha! Perfect! Nej jag är från Göteborg. I'm going to stop the Swedish before I annoy people on here lol.

At some point the scores are no longer included in the report i.e. ADCOMS will see the date but not the score. However, I think it takes longer than 5 years.
Edit: I could be wrong. I can't find where I saw that...
All scores since 2003 will automatically be visible. The applicant may choose to release scores from before 2003.

It really depends upon your family circumstances here. After all, the story is not about your dad's woes or how far he fell from being, say, the top surgeon in Damascus or Sierra Leone to being a PA here. If he had to become a janitor, and your family lived in poverty here, and you overcame that hurdle, then that's something we look at. Americans love a come-from-behind story. It's in our genes.

Hi Goro, I have a question about the first generation college attendant thing. What if your parents obtained a college degree way back in the days and were pretty much forced to do something else? for example, my father had a college degree in his home country, but he had to move to another country because of war and he was not able to continue on his degree because he needed to provide. Technically, he attended college but did not utilize his degree due to severe circumstances.