Multiple Reads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RexKD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often are multiple reads done on scans?

Are multiple reads done more often in an academic setting where these is not as much of a time constraint (from what I gather, in private practice radiologists are under significant pressure to work quickly)?

I was looking at a radiologist's report for an MRI of the head and neck, and it was signed off by 3 individuals: 2 residents and a fellow. Is this pretty common in an academic setting? And if so, would it be in the best interests of the patient to have his scans done at a university hospital so he could have a few more sets of eyes take a look?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that this is pretty much an academic medicine phenomenon. Residents have to have their reads checked by the consultant either at the time or soon after.

The final authority is the attending radiologist, who has to cosign the reports. Often times after the attending has developed a trust in the fellow, he may sign off without actually seeing the films. But this may be illegal, since you have to be involved in the case before you can bill Medicare.
Although fellows and residents may provide extra sets of eyes, they don't necessarily add to the care of the patients.