Multiple State Licenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

septoplasty

Exceptional
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you actually keep them >1 active all at once? (bad question for cabinbuilder)

I've got two states so far (full, paid through training, but expire next year, but have CME requirements to fulfill should I chose to continue), and may not work in either of the states in the future..

Thoughts? Is it easier to just keep them active vs. letting them lapse and in case in the future I want to work there apply again?

Members don't see this ad.

What???? I only have 5 active, looking to do a 6th. :) I forget the term but there is a way to inactivate the license without letting it lapse so you don't have to start from scratch should you change your mind.

What???? I only have 5 active, looking to do a 6th. :) I forget the term but there is a way to inactivate the license without letting it lapse so you don't have to start from scratch should you change your mind.

So i researched this a bit more, the term that came up was "inactive", basically according to MA (for example), you can't practice, but you still pay for the renewal based on what the deadline is.

Guess i'll wait and see where I end up at and decide than to keep the two or not..

Members don't see this ad :)
I kept mine active where I was in residency because it was only $200 and I've heard it's a bigger hassle to let it lapse and then go back thru the process than to just keep it active.

I have 10 active state medical licenses. (I've done telemedicine, business, locums, etc). Every state is different. I agree it is less of a hassle to keep a license active rather than transition from inactive to active.
Typically, if you keep up with your CME for boards you are okay for states. However, some states have unique quirks and requirements. Stay organized.

CME that you do in one state doesnt count for other states?

How do you guys keep that up and whats the incentive to have multiple licenses? Is it just that opportunities that fit with your schedule happen to be in other states? Like Why not just get multiple jobs within one state?

CME that you do in one state doesnt count for other states?

How do you guys keep that up and whats the incentive to have multiple licenses? Is it just that opportunities that fit with your schedule happen to be in other states? Like Why not just get multiple jobs within one state?

Yes, CME counts for all states. Just that some states require more CME hours than others. It's not always possible to get multiple jobs in one state. Depends on the locums company and the need of the site. Now I currently have 2 jobs in Texas because I have a permanent job that is one week on/one week off and the locums job let me pick up time on the off weeks. Not all locum jobs will do that so you tend to have to be creative.

Yes, CME counts for all states. Just that some states require more CME hours than others. It's not always possible to get multiple jobs in one state. Depends on the locums company and the need of the site. Now I currently have 2 jobs in Texas because I have a permanent job that is one week on/one week off and the locums job let me pick up time on the off weeks. Not all locum jobs will do that so you tend to have to be creative.

I see! Seems like you have a hectic schedule! You choose to work that much just to save up or cause you have to? Im not sure id have the stamina for that! Traveling wears me out, cant imagine getting off the plane and starting another 7 days on non stop! Kudos to you!

I see! Seems like you have a hectic schedule! You choose to work that much just to save up or cause you have to? Im not sure id have the stamina for that! Traveling wears me out, cant imagine getting off the plane and starting another 7 days on non stop! Kudos to you!
I don't have a choice, really. I recently got divorced and my ex-husband was awarded a large alimony settlement that I have to pay for 8 years. Plus I have a kid in college. My own home, student loans, car loan, etc. I like having a little cushion which is why I do extra. My permanent job pays everything down to the last $100.

My current situation is my "other" job is only 80 miles away and is very cush.