Muo Msbs/ms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forst003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything at all about Medical Univ of Ohio's Masters of Science Biomedical Sciences in Medical Sciences program?

I only applied to this program and RFU's Biomedical Sciences SMP, they both sent me info about their programs. As I research more programs, some deadlines had passed and some I just did not want to apply too. I have been accepted to RFU's BMS program, but I would still consider MUO due to tuition being $7,000 less and cost of living in toledo is also less. although this scholarly research project that is required at MUO, sounds like it could be a lot of additional work.

has anyone else even applied to this program? last time i spokke with them, the lady said they had 80 applications. she wasn't sure how many people would be accepted this year as last year only 30(ish?) people applied and approx 24 were accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

forst003 said:
Has anyone heard anything at all about Medical Univ of Ohio's Masters of Science Biomedical Sciences in Medical Sciences program?

I only applied to this program and RFU's Biomedical Sciences SMP, they both sent me info about their programs. As I research more programs, some deadlines had passed and some I just did not want to apply too. I have been accepted to RFU's BMS program, but I would still consider MUO due to tuition being $7,000 less and cost of living in toledo is also less. although this scholarly research project that is required at MUO, sounds like it could be a lot of additional work.

has anyone else even applied to this program? last time i spokke with them, the lady said they had 80 applications. she wasn't sure how many people would be accepted this year as last year only 30(ish?) people applied and approx 24 were accepted.

Do you have a link to the Ohio MS program? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too applied to the Ohio MSMS progra this year. They told me that they review all the applications the 1st week of june and acceptances follow thereafter. I really hope I get in b/c I just got rejected by the EVMS MSBS program.

BTW, 80 applicants and they only accept 24! Wow, this makes me feel nervous :scared: b/c I onyl have their bare minimum to get in. I really had my hopes for Ohio b/c it is such a good program. If I don't get into Ohio, I'm screwed!

BTW, the deadline for the program has already passed (June 1). I don't really know if it is rolling admissions or not, but it sounds like it isn't but you never know.

Banjo64dd said:
I too applied to the Ohio MSMS progra this year. They told me that they review all the applications the 1st week of june and acceptances follow thereafter. I really hope I get in b/c I just got rejected by the EVMS MSBS program.

BTW, 80 applicants and they only accept 24! Wow, this makes me feel nervous :scared: b/c I onyl have their bare minimum to get in. I really had my hopes for Ohio b/c it is such a good program. If I don't get into Ohio, I'm screwed!

BTW, the deadline for the program has already passed (June 1). I don't really know if it is rolling admissions or not, but it sounds like it isn't but you never know.

Admissions are rolling, I spoke to Dr. Clarke a while back. They will have two meetings essentially, this week or the next, then another in July. They are reviewing applications in order that they were recieved. Good luck all.

NRAI2001 asked for a link to the program, so here it is:

http://www.meduohio.edu/grad/pdf/medical_science_brochure.pdf

I applied to their med school last year, for matriculation FAll '06. After completing their secondary, my rejection letter eventually came with the brochure above. It is the MSBS in Medical Sciences program.

DrVanNostran said:
Any news anyone?

Admissions are not rolling, they reviewed applications last week. This morning I spoke with, Maxine (i think?) the MSBS/MS something or other. She said that applications are back from the ad com, and was able to tell me over the phone that I was waitlisted. I asked if the waitlist is ranked, or tiered or anything like that, and she wasn't sure but she said that their was a number 1 right next to my name and where it said waitlisted.

So does this mean I'm #1 on the waitlist, or on the 1st tier, or what?

What to do, right now I have an acceptance at RFU and planning on moving out there in a month, but MUO seems to have a good program, cheaper cost of living, the program is $4,000 more than RFU. I guess keep planning on Chicago until I hear otherwise.

forst003 said:
NRAI2001 asked for a link to the program, so here it is:

http://www.meduohio.edu/grad/pdf/medical_science_brochure.pdf

I applied to their med school last year, for matriculation FAll '06. After completing their secondary, my rejection letter eventually came with the brochure above. It is the MSBS in Medical Sciences program.

Admissions are not rolling, they reviewed applications last week. This morning I spoke with, Maxine (i think?) the MSBS/MS something or other. She said that applications are back from the ad com, and was able to tell me over the phone that I was waitlisted. I asked if the waitlist is ranked, or tiered or anything like that, and she wasn't sure but she said that their was a number 1 right next to my name and where it said waitlisted.

So does this mean I'm #1 on the waitlist, or on the 1st tier, or what?

What to do, right now I have an acceptance at RFU and planning on moving out there in a month, but MUO seems to have a good program, cheaper cost of living, the program is $4,000 more than RFU. I guess keep planning on Chicago until I hear otherwise.

The waitlist is not ranked yet. The number one means 1st tier...I am in it also. I met with Dr. Clarke, and admissions were rolling according to her, but apparently they went through all of them last week. They have another meeting coming up at the end of June. Good luck :luck:

DrVanNostran said:
The waitlist is not ranked yet. The number one means 1st tier...I am in it also. I met with Dr. Clarke, and admissions were rolling according to her, but apparently they went through all of them last week. They have another meeting coming up at the end of June. Good luck :luck:

I just e-mailed Ohio to find out my application status. I really don't think I'm going to get in though. I checked out forst003's MCAT & GPA and they are higher than mine (especially the MCAT, GPA only slightly) and he got waitlisted! How did this year get so competetive for SMPs? I'm screwed! Now I have to wait another year just to get into another program. God life sucks! :(

DrVanNostran said:

When you met with Dr. Clarke, did you happen to ask her about percentage of students from the program who get accepted to their medical school and to other med schools? Also do they recommend that their MSBS/BS students reapply to med school during the year, and do they provide any assistance with that? After doing some reading about other programs a couple of the big name popular programs (read: G-Town, BU MAMs, etc), they recommend that students apply during the program and they send out letters to all the schools you apply to, stating that you are a student in the program and outline what you do in that program. If I remember correctly, they send out an update letter letting the schools know your grades for either the first quarter or the first and second quarters. Does MUO do anything like this?

Banjo64dd said:
I checked out forst003's MCAT & GPA and they are higher than mine (especially the MCAT, GPA only slightly) and he got waitlisted! :(

Well my GPA is higher than my MDapps profile. Last year I went at the AMCAS application on my own, my undergrad school has no Pre-Med adviosr to help.

So my advice, make sure all your classes are classified correctly. I made a few mistakes, two gen ed science classes (before i was pre-med) I had classified as natural and life sciences, which doesnt count towards BCPM. i had a stats for sociology, classified as a soc class, when it should be a math class. again not counting for my BCPM gpa. these errors have been corrected for my current AMCAS application, so my GPA will be at least slightly higher.

forst003 said:
When you met with Dr. Clarke, did you happen to ask her about percentage of students from the program who get accepted to their medical school and to other med schools? Also do they recommend that their MSBS/BS students reapply to med school during the year, and do they provide any assistance with that? After doing some reading about other programs a couple of the big name popular programs (read: G-Town, BU MAMs, etc), they recommend that students apply during the program and they send out letters to all the schools you apply to, stating that you are a student in the program and outline what you do in that program. If I remember correctly, they send out an update letter letting the schools know your grades for either the first quarter or the first and second quarters. Does MUO do anything like this?

Yeah I asked her a whole bunch of questions, some of which she "could not answer" which is the typical response from programs like these. But, I talked to some students in the program as well.

It is recommened that you do apply to schools concurrently, and from what I hear Dr. Clarke does send out an update LOR if requested. They usually accept around 26ish into the the MS program, this year they are anticipating to accept around 30-35 due to the shear volume of applicants. Out of the 26 "a good portion" enter MUO, and other normally are accepted else where. The structure of the program is not bad at all since they are in block schedules. So there is ample time to study and understand the material.

If you do have specific questions on acceptance rates, you should call Dr. Clarke, she just might give you some more information. I met with her in May I believe, so some of the stuff I forgot. But if I am accepted to MUO, I will go to their over Georgetown.

Did anyone complete this program last year? I will be heading here this fall? I am still on the EVMS WL and still need to hear from Tulane ACP...

I visited MUO last year, this program seems fantastic..

Any information would be great!

i've applied to this also and have been impatiently waiting to hear from them. this year the app was due may 1st, so i've been waiting a month to hear something. anyone out there have anything?

i've applied to this also and have been impatiently waiting to hear from them. this year the app was due may 1st, so i've been waiting a month to hear something. anyone out there have anything?

Acceptance letters go out this week :luck:

I might go visit U. Toledo next month to get some more input on the program. Seems really good though.