MUSC DPT Summer 2013 Acceptances

Started by MBenigno
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MBenigno

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else rec'd their acceptance for MUSC for May 2013? I rec'd my letter just before thanksgiving (ecstatic by the way! 😍) and just sent in my matriculation fee. I dont have facebook (crazy, I know) so I just wanted to see who else has been accepted.

Congrats everyone!

-Marissa
 
this is going to sound bad, but i'm not 100% sure of everything.. I sent in all my unofficial transcripts back in March to the admissions department and they did an evaluation for me:
Cumulative GPA: 3.37
Science GPA: 3.01
Key GPA: 3.25 (pre-reqs only)

Now since then I took two A&P courses and got A's and the required adnormal psych and got an A in that as well. I know that brought my cumulative GPA up to just over a 3.5, but I am not sure about the rest.

159V (81%)
152Q (61%)
5.5A (96%)

And I had about 125 volunteer hours with outpatient, schools, peds (the most - this is what i want to do), and home health care.

Sorry if this doesn't really help. I went to the school and met with both the admissions director and the director of the program for tips. This REALLY helped. Also, I have a bachelor's and a Master's degree and I was told that my six years of reserve military time was a helpful factor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, it seems like you have a strong resume. Your GRE scores are great. My GPA is similar to yours, but my GRE was 150 and 153. Taking PHYS II and Abnormal Psychology (both are A's) and I have 450 hours (I want to do peds too! 🙂) I had planned on meeting with Dr. Bowman, but I think it's too late. I know they're going to start reviewing applications on the 31st. Thank you for sharing your stats, and congratulations on your acceptance!!! That's so exciting. I'm really crossing my fingers for MUSC, but it seems its pretty difficult to get into.
 
I heard MUSC is quite competitive also, which is why I was so worried about getting in. I met with Dr. Bowman waaaaay back in January to see how to improve my overall application package so I could get started. The good thing is that the class size is bigger than most programs (I almost applied for USC in Columbia, which is only 18 students). Don't give up yet though - I know that we had to have our matriculation fee in by December 10, (which is Monday) so I think they will start sending out more letters as people deny their spot. Dr. Bowman said they usually get quite far down the list b/c a lot of applicants are out of state and ultimately choose not to come. Good luck!
 
So ready to hear back from MUSC. Dream school (my chances are super slim) but it'll be nice to finally know. It's the last school I'm waiting/care to hear back from!
 
Has anyone else heard from MUSC? I know they said we should get our status by the end of February..
 
I got an e-mail from MUSC this morning letting me know I was accepted. Another student in my class who applied hasn't received an e-mail yet... does anybody know what that could mean? It seems like if you're rejected, they send you an e-mail letting you know, so could no e-mail at all mean they're still considering somebody?
 
I got an e-mail from MUSC this morning letting me know I was accepted. Another student in my class who applied hasn't received an e-mail yet... does anybody know what that could mean? It seems like if you're rejected, they send you an e-mail letting you know, so could no e-mail at all mean they're still considering somebody?
Congrats on your acceptance! Do you plan on attending? And as for your question, maybe they didn't send out all of their emails yet??
 
Congrats on your acceptance! Do you plan on attending? And as for your question, maybe they didn't send out all of their emails yet??

Thanks! Yes, I'm definitely attending. It's the only school I applied to.

Do they send out e-mails separately? I would have thought they'd get the list of acceptances and send out all the e-mails at once, but I admittedly have no idea how their administrative processes work.
 
Thanks! Yes, I'm definitely attending. It's the only school I applied to.

Do they send out e-mails separately? I would have thought they'd get the list of acceptances and send out all the e-mails at once, but I admittedly have no idea how their administrative processes work.
Awesome! I'm crossing my fingers to get off the list but I know it's competitive. Do you mind sharing your stats? (You can PM me if you don't feel comfortable making them public!)

And I wouldn't think they would, but I've seen where other schools have sent out notification emails on two separate days before. I would think they'd send them all out at once too. I got mine early this morning so I would think they'd be sending them out all day. I would tell your friend to maybe give them a call if they haven't heard anything by tomorrow.
 
Awesome! I'm crossing my fingers to get off the list but I know it's competitive. Do you mind sharing your stats? (You can PM me if you don't feel comfortable making them public!)

And I wouldn't think they would, but I've seen where other schools have sent out notification emails on two separate days before. I would think they'd send them all out at once too. I got mine early this morning so I would think they'd be sending them out all day. I would tell your friend to maybe give them a call if they haven't heard anything by tomorrow.

Good luck to you! I think my head would be exploding right now if I was on the waiting list. I almost couldn't deal with waiting just yesterday knowing that acceptances were being sent out this week.

My stats are:

Major: Exercise Science

Overall GPA: 3.66

Pre-req: I'm not sure, but I only have a single B in the pre-reqs, in the first semester of biology.

Institutional GPA: 3.86

GRE: Verbal = 163 (91st percentile), Quantitative = 154 (60th pecentile, I'm so bad at math), Writing = 5.5 (96th percentile).

I was also in the Marine Corps for 5 years as a linguist, which is why I posted my institutional GPA. I had like 60 credits from my military time, and I think the average GPA coming from them was like a 3.2. Whoops. However, I also think this made me stand out a bit from other applicants, so overall it probably helped.

Hmm.. maybe the e-mail went straight to her junk mail or something. It seems like everybody else, regardless of their status, has received an e-mail. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just accepted today as well!! 👍 Do you all know if there is a facebook page or anything like that up yet? I'm so excited!
 
Flynnrider- how long did they give you guys to accept your spot and send in your deposit? Might gives us waitlisters a timeline.
 
I was accepted to MUSC and they told me the deadline was March 11th. I'm 99% sure I'm going to decline, so a spot should open up in the next few days! Hope that helps!
 
Thanks! Good luck to you too. Hopefully wait listers will hear something soon.
Thank you! I hope so. I emailed MUSC just to get some idea of numbers. They said they typically take 40-50 alternates off of the waitlist each year. I asked how many were on the waitlist this year but they couldn't tell me. I'm curious as to how many apps. they get each year? Woof. MUSC is my top choice but it seems so tough to get into. Hopefully good news will come our way soon. Good luck to all!
 
Thank you! I hope so. I emailed MUSC just to get some idea of numbers. They said they typically take 40-50 alternates off of the waitlist each year. I asked how many were on the waitlist this year but they couldn't tell me. I'm curious as to how many apps. they get each year? Woof. MUSC is my top choice but it seems so tough to get into. Hopefully good news will come our way soon. Good luck to all!

On their website there is a spreadsheet available for last years class. It says for last year 382 applicants, 118 offered spots, and 64 entered. I would think for this year it would be at least 382 if not more with how competitive it is becoming.
 
Hey I just got accepted off the waitlist for MUSC today! But I'm not sure if I'm going to attend. I'm out of state so it would be 33,000/yr. I got accepted at ECU too which is only8,000/yr. I want to attend MUSC but don't know how I'd pay for it. Does anyone who's going to MUSC this year know of a way to get some of it paid for? Like grants or some other kind of program where you work in Charleston afterward and get some of it paid for? If not I think I will have to decline 🙁
 
Hey I just got accepted off the waitlist for MUSC today! But I'm not sure if I'm going to attend. I'm out of state so it would be 33,000/yr. I got accepted at ECU too which is only8,000/yr. I want to attend MUSC but don't know how I'd pay for it. Does anyone who's going to MUSC this year know of a way to get some of it paid for? Like grants or some other kind of program where you work in Charleston afterward and get some of it paid for? If not I think I will have to decline 🙁
Sorry to ask you this without having any advice to give, but do you mind sharing your stats?
 
Sure.
GPA 3.6 in exercise physiology
GRE 159 V, 154 math, 4.0 writing
150 hours pt volunteer work, 480 hours in biomechanics/human movement lab
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup. It's even worse when you haven't heard anything in May and you can find out you get in like 2 days before class starts.
Oh my, that would not be fun. MUSC doesn't get a lot of action on here it seems like. I think to myself "Hm, there's not many people talking about being on their waitlist on here. Maybe I'm not too far down." but I'm sure there's a ton out there that just don't know about this site. I really wish they'd tell us our rank. I've gotten into a school close to me, but MUSC has been my number one for awhile. I'm sure you'll hear back before I will! Keep me posted!
 
do you all happen to know what area you are going to live in yet? I've been doing some research but just don't know the area very well!!
 
I'm applying to MUSC for this coming cycle.

The PT I currently shadow went there and she is good friends with some of the teachers there.

I heard through the grape vine that they supposedly got almost double the number of applicants this cycle compared to last year.

A large number of the people apparently apply when they don't even meet the minimum and get axed instantly, so the actual number reviewed is still questionable.

This is all second hand, so don't quote me

Another rumor, that I have seen on this and other forums and something I also seen in people I have talked to that have been accepted (anecdotal evidence) is that you have to have at least a 310 on your gre and at least a 3.5 cumulative and prereq to be considered for early admission. Everyone under that is moved to normal admissions.

Is that true? I don't know, but from what I've seen, a ton of people get transferred to normal admission and very few of the 64 got early acceptance.
 
I was accepted early and would be happy to answer any questions about my stats if anyone wants to PM me!
 
Waitlisters, I'm giving up my spot tomorrow so hopefully you all will get some good news soon! It was just a financial decision for me, I still love MUSC's program. I know all applicants who were accepted last week have to tell them by March 11 if they are going to attend or not. Good luck to you all!! I hope everything works out for everyone!

GPA 3.74 in Kinesiology
GRE 160 V, 160 math, 4.0 writing
150 hours pt volunteer work, 500 hours as a Student Athletic Trainer for the Lady Vols, ZTA Sorority
 
do you all happen to know what area you are going to live in yet? I've been doing some research but just don't know the area very well!!


Everybody I've talked to says James Island or Mt. Pleasant are good places, but MUSC actually has a housing department that will help you find a place if you contact them.
 
Today was the decision deadline so hopefully some spots will be open and some of us have good news tomorrow. Just some wishful thinking.
 
So I am a current 1st year DPT student at MUSC and I am curious to find out who the new first years are! If you have any questions feel free to PM me! Can't wait to meet you!