MUSC vs. Univ South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which South Carolina medical school/

• University of South Carolina School of Medicine (Columbia)

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Medical University of South Carolina (Charleston)

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters

Rogue Synapse

The Dude Has Got No Mercy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The poll is simple. Thoughts, anyone? I had resigned myself to going to USC, then MUSC accepted me and now I'm all confused. I love Charleston, and Columbia is awful, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor... right?

Members don't see this ad.

Rogue Synapse said:
The poll is simple. Thoughts, anyone? I had resigned myself to going to USC, then MUSC accepted me and now I'm all confused. I love Charleston, and Columbia is awful, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor... right?

Hey Rogue! I have 6 friends who have gone to MUSC and they all LOVED it! Two of them got married and are starting a practice down there. They loved Charleston, but they all also had very positive experiences with the school. USC likes to claim, of the two schools in SC, to be the one with the warm cushy environment, but MUSC takes care of its students just as well. Great facilities, great reputation. All my friends got their #1 choice (specialty & location) in the match. I also know a couple of people starting this summer.

The only guy I know that went to USCSOM was a tool. Not that this should reflect on the entire student body, but the shear volume of the positive things I have heard about MUSC plus the location difference made my mind up b/w these schools a long time ago.

Save yourself, go to Charleston. :thumbup:

To be honest Columbia doesn't hold a candle to Charleston.

The weather sucks, the 'culture' is limited.

However...

There are no hurricanes in Columbia,
Housing is DIRT cheap in Columbia,
USC is part of USC... meaning you can participate in all of the USC activities- football games, intramurals etc.
Getting to the school and getting aroung the school is MUCH easier.

The education at USC and MUSC is the same, students at both schools get an excellent experience and get into their top ranked choices.

Overall... go where you want to be- you are going to get the same education, from the same books, take the same tests whether you go to MUSC or Charleston. If you'd rather spend what little time you have outside of class at the beach go to Charleston, if you'd rather be at the lake go to Columbia.

Good luck,

Emraiden gives sensible advice. I chose Columbia because it fit my lifestyle and desire to focus on school. I figure if I want to go to Charleston, I will go there for residency. You have the unique perspective of already being in Columbia and settled. Would this be an advantage over those of us who are moving there this summer and will have to learn where to eat, go to church, and relax? Thoughts of doing all those things will add at least some to my stress level the first few months. Anyway, you have to decide which school has what you want for the next four years. I think the academics are a wash, though MUSC has some advantage for those heading into academic medicine. As to life outside of School, I personally look to lower stress levels, and I don't want to be distracted from resting when I can and studying when I need to so charleston has too much going on for me(though that was only a minor factor in my decision).

Good Luck with your decision