musc vs. usc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chief6124

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thought on medical university of south carilona(charleston) vs university of south carilina( Palmetto Health Alliance columbia)

?????????????

Members don't see this ad.

USC is a "smaller" institution, but the pathology is great. Great income and benefits. Convenient parking. Cheaper living. Beach is 2 hour drive. Love my choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
got an interview at both.

will try to knock them both out in one trip....

chief

How are these programs in regards to landing fellowships?
I realize the thread is from 2006, but hopefully the individuals that originally posted are in fellowship now?
Thx!

MUSC has a really good reputation, especially in the Southeast. It is at least one tier above the University of South Carolina, if not two. That's not to say that the University of South Carolina does not offer solid training, because it does - but MUSC is well ahead in terms of reputation. But who knows how that translates into the kind of doctor you'll be, or the ease with which you will meet your goals.

MUSC is also an academic program while USC is a community one. USC has a higher stipend I know, and most MUSC residents seem to get the fellowships they want where they want. About half go for fellowship, of which I think about 4-5 a year get cards and GI. GI is ranked in the top 20, and nephrology, rheum, and pulm are also ranked well.

http://clinicaldepartments.musc.edu/medicine/education/residency/postresidency2006.htm

Hey all,

Right on everyone. Thanks for responding.

I know that MUSC seems to be much more of a strategic move if I want to land a fellowship....

USC also reports that half their residents land fellowships as well.

I guess my questions will be answered during the interview...

Thanks again,
A:thumbup:

When you go on your interviews, find out not only how many go for fellowship and get what they want, but also ask how many do GI and cards. Since these are the two most competitive, if you have a lot getting them it's a better sign than if only 1 or 2 get it. I realize that maybe only 1 or 2 may apply, but in general this is a good indicator of how competitive the residents are. More than one person told me to ask this when I went for all my interviews.