Musculoskeletal or pain fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piccolo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a physiatrist and have been in private practice for a couple of years, I want to go back and do a fellowship in of the above fields . Can someone guide me as what the process is to apply ? Are all the ACGME accredited programs go through ERAS? Where and when should I start ?

I appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in the interview process and the timeline kind of depends of what you are looking for since Pain and MSK/Spine can be very different fellowships. If you are looking more at accredited Pain programs it is too likely way to late to apply for this current cycle as programs are already interviewing and most of the deadlines to apply have passed. Some places may have spots that start in January of 2017 that you can apply to otherwise you would have to wait and go through ERAS starting in December for spots starting in July 2017. Some programs start offering interviews as early as late Feb and offers go into July with most interviews being June-August with a match in October. As far as the MSK/Spine/Pain unaccredited fellowships go most of them are already interviewing and some have likely started offering spots to their top choices, but there may be a few that would still accept applications for next July or January if that is when you wanted to start. Likely you would have to wait until next spring to start applying to places to start in 2017. The best list so far that I have found of unaccredited spots is on the AAPM&R website under the fellowship list. Most places will let you just email your application and references so it is cheap that way. Copies of your transcripts from USMLE/COMLEX, medical school and boards are usually fine so you aren't having to pay to send official transcripts. For ERAS you need to upload official copies of everything that come straight from the school through the EFDO. Most ACGME programs go through the match and ERAS, but some do not. ERAS has a list of those that do and don't. There is no match for the unaccredited programs and they will typically offer much earlier than the pain match to force you into a decision. Hope this helps some and good luck.

RM38
Thank you so much for your reply , there are programs that I don't see in the ERAS list , does that mean they are not ACGME accredited ? Like musculoskeletal at UMDNJ with Dr Foye , do I need to apply for them directly instead of NRMP?

Yeah. They aren't accredited so you can email the contact and they will tell you what they need. Michigan, Penn, UCLA, Kansas, Cleveland Clinic, Wisconsin and probably a few others are university type programs with unaccredited spots that you apply seperate for. A few have both accredited that go through the Match and unaccredited spots that don't.