Music in Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leraine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm faced with a prompt: "Identify four of your major interests and describe how these have shaped your character and will contribute to your success as a physician"

One of the interests I have chosen is music, as it is a very large part of my life, but I cannot think of how music could possibly contribute to my success as a physician. I know that music has been used as therapy in some cases, but honestly I do not intend to involve music in my future practice of medicine, but it is still a major part of my life. I am just completely confused as to how to approach this.

Could anyone spare some insight? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm faced with a prompt: "Identify four of your major interests and describe how these have shaped your character and will contribute to your success as a physician"

One of the interests I have chosen is music, as it is a very large part of my life, but I cannot think of how music could possibly contribute to my success as a physician. I know that music has been used as therapy in some cases, but honestly I do not intend to involve music in my future practice of medicine, but it is still a major part of my life. I am just completely confused as to how to approach this.

In my experience, music made me improve in specific ways. For instance, I became more driven in my studies, and I became more goal oriented. So I talked about that. Before I began playing I was sort of all over the place. It helped me focus on a goal, and this translated into school work, among other things. I also became more open minded because of it. I'm not saying this is your case, but think of it in those terms. Think of how it has shaped who you are, and how that would translate to your current successes or future success. It's rather personal, so just take time to think.

Edit:

With that said, unless it's THE reason you are pursuing medicine, I would not include it in your personal statement. I'm not sure if you're referring to your PS or secondary essays. I talked about it in the Work/ECs section of the AMCAS

Think about the discipline and self-motivation that it takes to become proficient at playing an instrument. It takes a lot of hard work and determination. Can you see how having a strong sense of discipline, self-motivation, etc, can be useful for a physician and physician-in-training?

The question isn't asking about how these interests are going to be incorporated into medical therapy...you're reading it wrong. It's asking about the traits you gained from these interests and how they'll help you become a successful physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think about the discipline and self-motivation that it takes to become proficient at playing an instrument. It takes a lot of hard work and determination. Can you see how having a strong sense of discipline, self-motivation, etc, can be useful for a physician and physician-in-training?
This /\.

Your music will also contribute to your success as a physician by providing you with a leisuretime activity that facilitates stress management.

I talked about music extensively in my PS and surprisingly it was the topic that most interviewers wanted to talk the most about. If you truly believe that music was a large part of your journey to deciding you wanted to be a doctor (for me it was the things that being a musician taught me) then by all means include it. It also might make you seem more rounded.

when I read the title of this, I kept thinking of a personal statement that plays embedded MIDI music in the background when you download it.

myspace.png

The discipline+self motivation idea did not occur to me at all before, possibly because I never felt like I had to consciously motivate myself to do something I loved so much.

Thank you for your ideas everyone!

when I read the title of this, I kept thinking of a personal statement that plays embedded MIDI music in the background when you download it.

myspace.png

How about PS put to a song? How much cooler would that be?! You could even have a catchy hook in the chorus emphasizing what a great medical student/physician you'd be....

I was imagining sending in a demo tape with your app, but I guess putting it that was makes me sound old.

I talked about music in my PS: how music has always been a part of my life from playing the piano at 6 to the choirs that I currently sing in. It has been a creative outlet where I can collaborate with others, share beauty with an audience, and retreat from day-to-day stresses. Both of my interviewers specifically asked about it. And I would strongly disagree with ilton's assessment that unless it's THE reason you are going to medical school, don't include it.

My recommendation is don't get hung up on the part of the prompt that asks how music will make you a successful doctor and instead think of how music makes you a good/interesting/successful person. The school wants to know that you have a personality and interests outside of science/medicine, and talking about your passion for music is a great way to let them know you're interesting.

Same here.
OP, you'll be fine writing about music if you include the things mentioned above. If you had prior clinical experience, like hospital volunteering, and you felt you were able to connect with patients as a result of this shared interest you can include that as well.
The point of that essay is more to get to know you as a person than anything else.

I talked about music in my PS: how music has always been a part of my life from playing the piano at 6 to the choirs that I currently sing in. It has been a creative outlet where I can collaborate with others, share beauty with an audience, and retreat from day-to-day stresses. Both of my interviewers specifically asked about it. And I would strongly disagree with ilton's assessment that unless it's THE reason you are going to medical school, don't include it.

My recommendation is don't get hung up on the part of the prompt that asks how music will make you a successful doctor and instead think of how music makes you a good/interesting/successful person. The school wants to know that you have a personality and interests outside of science/medicine, and talking about your passion for music is a great way to let them know you're interesting.

Agree. I mentioned music in my app, and it too has come up in every one interviews. Most just seem to have a tie with music. I've never met anyone who didn't want to learn how to play a some instrument.

I talked extensively about music in my PS. Earning my degree in music has taught me that if you want to be good at something, or accomplish something incredible, you have to push yourself as hard as you can.

As a physician I can see how I could integrate this mentality. In college one of my music professors always told us to not practice something until we don't make a mistake, but to practice something until we CAN'T make a mistake. As a physician, your ability to effectively utilize the skills you learned in your training will often come down to how much you practiced them.

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal statement's intro was about my musical interests and how it enhanced my creativity and passion for life-long learning. Like medicine, there are no boundaries in music and we as musicians or physicians must explore the unknown.

The question isn't asking about how these interests are going to be incorporated into medical therapy...you're reading it wrong. It's asking about the traits you gained from these interests and how they'll help you become a successful physician.

I wrote my personal statement about exactly this. Studies show that significant percentage of docs are also musicians. If you play an instrument/sing/dance/etc and have spent a lot of time and effort dedicated to your craft, it says something about what kind of commitment you could put into medicine.

Depending on how you approached your study of music (i.e. creatively, not just mechanically playing what you're supposed to), I think the study of any art can be applicable. Medicine is after all an art: the application of scientific principles in attempting to heal another human being (I'm guessing it takes both creativity and logic). As others have said, creativity is an important aspect to show. Do admission committees really want to read another personal statement about how you shadowed a physician then liked what you saw or how much you love science? Obviously be honest, but let those aspects that make you more interesting come through.

I'd echo the above people who said talking about music is a good thing (as long as you can show that medicine is the #1 thing, not music). I included my painting and photography portfolio in a lot of the secondary applications and I ended up talking about that a lot at my interviews. I brought some stuff I was working on the one of my interviews (and ended up getting accepted a week later!). Who knows if it was a deciding factor at all, but anything to set you apart from every other pre-med is generally a good thing.

Also, I'm guessing it's SUNY upstate from the prompt? I talked about my art stuff a lot with my student interviewer there (not so much the faculty interviewer) so i can't imagine that it would hurt you!

Bump! Could anyone else comment about how to effectively incorporate ones passion for playing a musical instrument into the personal statement? Also in reference to what Lizzy M said, I myself make youtube covers and song tutorials with my instrument. Is it really a good idea to include the link in my application?

1) Could anyone else comment about how to effectively incorporate ones passion for playing a musical instrument into the personal statement? 2) Also in reference to what Lizzy M said, I myself make youtube covers and song tutorials with my instrument. Is it really a good idea to include the link in my application?
1) There are plenty of good comments above from which you can gain inspiration. But put your thoughts in your own words.

2) Include one link, so that those interested can listen. Put the best part at the beginning, as adcomms may have a short attention span if rushed.

One word: YES!

Like women, medical schools like musicians.
--------------------------------^love

One word: YES!

Like women, medical schools like musicians.
--------------------------------^love

Somewhat agree. Women will will probably like the guy nonchalantly strumming his guitar or the suave gentleman dropping a mozart sonata on a piano, but a guy maxing out on a tuba... Not so much

Somewhat agree. Women will will probably like the guy nonchalantly strumming his guitar or the suave gentleman dropping a mozart sonata on a piano, but a guy maxing out on a tuba... Not so much

Nobody likes the tuba, but the sax player maxin' it out...

Music is all about teamwork - working with others as equals. I agree with many of the other posts, but to me, the most important thing that music teaches you is that every single person on the team must play their specific role or the whole operation falls apart. As a physician, you have to not only play your part, but often be the director of the orchestra, meaning that you have to be aware of how to encourage others to be team players; understanding how to be one yourself is the first step.

Very few people make music alone.