Music

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And hey, is it just me, or does spring/summer really bring out the love for 80's metal? I've been blasting "The Headless Children" by W.A.S.P. and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Members don't see this ad.

Fenriz said:
Andy is absolutely right. Speaker quality generally equals system quality. I used to be a big proponent of Sony stereo products but I've generally found them to be of toilet-level quality lately. Don't know much about other systems though. I would probably just read some reviews online...
I recommend CNET reviews all around for this techie kind of stuff.

I'm betting Andy might chime in extoling the virtues of Cambridge Soundworks but I don't know...just a hunch :) . I think they're generally good but I haven't heard them much. All of this stuff is of course pricey...
I have heard of Cambridge Soundworks here and there but I haven't bought any of their products or really looked into the matter much. Right now, I'm in the process of looking for a piano and getting a new amplifier (the one I have now is **** and needs to be replaced) for my Yngwie Malmsteen custom Fender strat. That plus having spent hundreds of dollars for plane flights make money a bit tight now :)

Fenriz, you're a guitar player right? Any suggestions for what to get in terms of effects pedals? What's the best brand especially for one who likes to play progressive rock/metal?

And hey, is it just me, or does spring/summer really bring out the love for 80's metal? I've been blasting "The Headless Children" by W.A.S.P. and I'm not ashamed to admit it!
Dude, man, I'm still stuck in the 80's and early 90's. I never really got into the whole alternative rock revolution and the stuff they play on the radio now is crap. What happened to the guitar solo??? Do all guitarists just crank up the distortion and crunch bar chords now? Where's the talent in that? Seriously, the guitarists these days should just listen to axemen like Satch, Petrucci, Eddie Van Halen, Vai, etc. and either step up to the plate and take some lessons and make some good music or just put their guitars down and go work at 7-eleven!

Sorry, but no early stuff here..

Nasum, and other assorted grindcore finds its ways into my ears.

Just heard my first Cannibal Corpse "The Bleeding"..RIPS!! Somehow never got to listening to them, just as I haven't yet got to Morbid Angel yet. My loss, I guess..Just that they used to seem like pretty middle rung DM at first listen. I love it when I discover bands which I had kind of given up on turn out to be absolutely ace..Like Fenriz and his Dissection suggestion to me.
:horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
Andy: it really depends on what effects you want. There's no one single brand that makes excellent effects across the board...you would probably turn to one company for a distortion box and another for a flanger or delay, for example. If you want supersaturated distortion AND a bass control on the pedal (for that extra low end) I recommend the Danelectro Fabtone. They may have stopped making it but it's a good distortion box for around $50 which is much cheaper than alot of the boutique distortion/fuzz/overdrive boxes. Other than that I have a Zoom Choir (chorus and delay in one), Dunlop wah and several boutique fuzz boxes (Lovetone, Menatone). My set up is pretty spartan: amp to one or two pedals to guitar.

Fenriz said:
Andy: it really depends on what effects you want. There's no one single brand that makes excellent effects across the board...you would probably turn to one company for a distortion box and another for a flanger or delay, for example. If you want supersaturated distortion AND a bass control on the pedal (for that extra low end) I recommend the Danelectro Fabtone. They may have stopped making it but it's a good distortion box for around $50 which is much cheaper than alot of the boutique distortion/fuzz/overdrive boxes. Other than that I have a Zoom Choir (chorus and delay in one), Dunlop wah and several boutique fuzz boxes (Lovetone, Menatone). My set up is pretty spartan: amp to one or two pedals to guitar.
Thanks for the scoop! But first, I'm off to drop 4 G's on a Roland digital/electronic piano.

Dudes, I just bought a pretty sweet amp for jamming at home or with buddies. It's the Roland Cube 60 and it is fantastic. It has a bunch of great tones from classic rock and blues to Metallica-esque metal. And unlike some amps I've tried, there really is a difference between each distortion setting. My previous amp was a cheap Crate half-stack that sounded like ass and made me not enjoy playing. The Roland has brought me back! It's a great amp and plenty loud. I love it.

AndyMilonakis said:
Dude, man, I'm still stuck in the 80's and early 90's. I never really got into the whole alternative rock revolution and the stuff they play on the radio now is crap. What happened to the guitar solo??? Do all guitarists just crank up the distortion and crunch bar chords now? Where's the talent in that? Seriously, the guitarists these days should just listen to axemen like Satch, Petrucci, Eddie Van Halen, Vai, etc. and either step up to the plate and take some lessons and make some good music or just put their guitars down and go work at 7-eleven!

I'm with you on the newer stuff. Most stuff on "rock radio" sucks. It all sounds the same---like a rip off of Pearl Jam/Alice In Chains/Soundgarden/Nirvana. You should get Sirius. There is a station there called Hard Attack that plays good metal, commercial free with no edited versions. It's fantastic. Some of the new metal bands (not the commercial ones on MTV) can really play.

Also, the new Tool album is great and new Slayer is on the way soon!

Greetings, me hearties!!
The abundance of "Application-time" threads, while making me nostalgic, also cries for a bit of healthy diversion! Appropriately enough, this was on the Google's "How to of the day"..."How to Appreciate Death Metal":horns: :cool:
I really thought it was well written!

In passing, mighty Hails to the usual suspects, and All the Best to the new ones...Cheers!:luck: