Must have books for 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick177

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on the must have books for clerkships in general

Here is what I have heard so far

Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy
Maxwell Quick Medical Reference
Bakermans ABCs of Interpretive Laboratory Data
Dubin Rapid Interpretation of EKG
Pocket Medicine - sabatini
Wash U - Intern Survival Guide

Please add any other books you find particularly useful and/or tell me why any of the above books suck.

Members don't see this ad.

My personal favs

Step Up to Medicine-Great for conceptualizing disease processes and an easy read. I read the chapter on electrolytes before my medicine rotation, first day my attending tried to pimp me on it. I rambled off some of the algorithms and flow charts and my attending thought I was a genius. Wound up getting an A in that rotation :D

Lawrence's Essential of General Surgery-THE book for your surgery rotation. Also very condense and the questions at the end of the chapter basically give you a blue print for passing/honoring your orals.

Surgical Recall: Good for cramming before a case and arming yourself for pimp questions. At the start of you're surgical rotation you'll think it is the Bible but by the end of your rotation becomes way too simplistic.

Blue Prints in Psych: This is the only Blueprints I actually found useful.

on medicine all that i carry with me is pocket medicine & my palm w. epocrates. completely adequate! Read UpToDate & do questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't need **** for third year. don't buy any textbooks or anything. all you need are the case files books, nothing else.

So, in going over the way too vast amount of texts and review books I bought during medical school... I have boiled the best down to the following. Now, being that I am going into IM, the books are geared for this rotation

1. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment: Definately the best text available. Up to date and very well written. Its basically a book you can use on all your rotations as it goes over most of the diseases you'll encounter, or be tested on in all your rotations - except Peds. A must buy.

2. The Consult Manual of Internal Medicine: A friend turned me onto this handbook. Its excellent. Its layout flows very nicely - with a ton of high yield info for both the wards and shelf exams. Its now a favorite among my friends. Oh... it also has great treatment sections.

3. The ICU Book: A fantastic book to be read by all. Great explanations of everything from IV fluids to vent management to fever. Allows for a strong foundation in critical care.

4. Pathophysiology of Disease: Great - with chapters divided into physiology and pathophysiology. Extremely well written. This is one that you get for the understanding of the overall picture. Its a realistically readable version of the the most important aspects of physiology with great pathophys taking up the later half of each chapter.

4. The obvious:
A. Tarascon pharmacopoeia - get the large edition w/ off
label uses and tons of other useful info.
B. The Sanford Guide

Also great, but by no means a must have, The Art and Science of Bedside Diagnosis by Sapira - Awesome physical diagnosis text.

Anyway... hope that helps.

you don't need **** for third year. don't buy any textbooks or anything. all you need are the case files books, nothing else.

Toss in MKSAP for medicine and Qbook for everything else and he's dead on.