Must-haves for the Intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorlarry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Intern year is soon approaching...Anyone have suggestions as to what every intern "must have" in terms of equipment, pocket-guides, books/references, PDAs, etc, etc.? Or if someone could please direct me to an earlier thread on the same topic? Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

doctorlarry said:
Hello everyone,

Intern year is soon approaching...Anyone have suggestions as to what every intern "must have" in terms of equipment, pocket-guides, books/references, PDAs, etc, etc.? Or if someone could please direct me to an earlier thread on the same topic? Many thanks!

Depends on your specialty. I wouldn't buy a PDA until you find out if your program gives you one.

I got a Treo 650 because I'm tired of carrying my phone, PDA and hospital telephone directory. Now I'll have them all in one. :D However, I'll still be carrying my service's census, OR schedule, random X-rays, patient's pathology slides from clinic, and The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics. I might as well push a cart. Too bad I'll be running up and down stairs as well. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
doctorlarry said:
Hello everyone,

Depends on the exact field.

My list ...

1. A good night sleep and a vacation in a tropical climate before you start.
2. A healthy dose of masochism.
3. A willingness to work hard for no recognition, little pay, and even less sleep.
4. One standard-issue stethoscope. Peds size if appropriate. Not necessary if ortho resident.
5. Pens. Always carry back-ups.
6. Phone directory. This is the most important item you will carry. Trust me.
7. Drug guide. I prefer pharmacopia, but palm-based is fine.
8. Sanford antibiotic guide. You will know this after 1-2 months.
9. A pocket reference, although usually not necessary.
10. The American Heart Association ACLS cards.
11. A pager or two.
12. Your census.
13. Try to travel light.

Thanks for the prompt responses! I'll be doing prelim medicine before neurology residency. I just wanted to know what is standard for medicine interns. Anyone else have suggestions?

I carry around Tarascon's Pharmacoepia, my census/scut/service list, a couple sterile scalpels, paper tape, spare progress note sheets (for H&Ps and consult notes), penlight, a couple pens, and cash. That's it.

Butch said:

Where do you get these? Do you have to buy them? I wasn't given these when I did my ACLS.

doctorlarry said:
Hello everyone,

I've seen posts recommending pocket reference materials and palm software, but I am specifically interested in text books (most useful) for particular rotations ie.. IM, Peds, OB/GYN, MICU, Neo, ER, Surg. Its time to get rid of the blueprints. Can someone please impart some wisdom. Thanks

edulover :cool:

CANES2006 said:
I got a Treo 650 because I'm tired of carrying my phone, PDA and hospital telephone directory. Now I'll have them all in one. :D However, I'll still be carrying my service's census, OR schedule, random X-rays, patient's pathology slides from clinic, and The Johns Hopkins Manual of Gynecology and Obstetrics. I might as well push a cart. Too bad I'll be running up and down stairs as well. :rolleyes:

You can get the Johns Hopkins manual for the PDA, complete with most diagrams, etc. In fact, I got it free from the Nuvaring rep. Make your pockets even lighter!

Seems like an inconvenient place to carry the JH manual but I suppose it does make your pockets lighter... :laugh:

My vote is for Depends and Surgilube (Medlube if going into IM).

Butch said:
Depends on the exact field.

My list ...

1. A good night sleep and a vacation in a tropical climate before you start.
2. A healthy dose of masochism.
3. A willingness to work hard for no recognition, little pay, and even less sleep.
4. One standard-issue stethoscope. Peds size if appropriate. Not necessary if ortho resident.
5. Pens. Always carry back-ups.
6. Phone directory. This is the most important item you will carry. Trust me.
7. Drug guide. I prefer pharmacopia, but palm-based is fine.
8. Sanford antibiotic guide. You will know this after 1-2 months.
9. A pocket reference, although usually not necessary.
11. A pager or two.
12. Your census.
13. Try to travel light.

Agree with the above.
Four more pieces of advice (from experience):
1. Comfortable shoes--sometimes it's the only thing that gets me through the day.
2. Drink plenty of water--I know too many residents who have nephrolithiasis.
3. Minimize the crap in your pockets--the extra stuff only leads to a bad back.
4. Hopefully you matched into humane PGY-2 year so that you can go to that "happy place" when things start to get rough.

mts said:
4. Hopefully you matched into humane PGY-2 year so that you can go to that "happy place" when things start to get rough.

Not likely. There is no happy place in the world of OB/GYN residency. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
For Internal Medicine only: The Intern Survival Guide by the Washington Manual. Can be found on PDA, but I don't recommend using a PDA during intern year. Put this book in your pocket along with a formulary and a Sanford's and your ACLS cards and you are ready to go. PDAs are expensive and much more cumbersome to use than small books (also cost a lot if damaged or lost).

If you truly trying to do IM right then I recommend keeping a reflex hammer, a pair of ekg calipers, and a pen light close by (all of these come in handy and impress bosses).

Other things that occasionally come into use: a package of surgilube (and stool card), an ABG needle (these are hard to find on the floor at my hospital), and a tape measure.

Oh and a stethoscope, a script pad, and LOTS of pens.

jhstuck said:
I don't recommend using a PDA during intern year. Put this book in your pocket along with a formulary and a Sanford's and your ACLS cards and you are ready to go.

Buy a PDA. There's practically no time in your life when it will be more useful than during your intern year. You just spent over $100K on your education; what's another hundred bucks? ;)

Is surgilube for personal emergency use?

Blade28 said:
I forgot to add, my Treo 650 and Danskos are essential.

Gotta love the Treo.

Mumpu said:

What I could never figure out is why some people carried hemoccult developer around in their lab coat pockets. I could always find some when I needed it. How many rectals were they doing, anyway? ;)

Mumpu said:

Might need it, depending on where you're carrying your JHU Manual...

(Sorry couldn't resist) :D

Any thoughts on which is more useful: Washington Manual Intern Survival Guide vs Internal Medicine On Call?

KentW said:
What I could never figure out is why some people carried hemoccult developer around in their lab coat pockets. I could always find some when I needed it. How many rectals were they doing, anyway? ;)

it's absolutely impossible to find in the hospitals around here. if you find a bottle, you keep it!

pillowhead said:
it's absolutely impossible to find in the hospitals around here. if you find a bottle, you keep it!

Maybe that's why it's impossible to find any. ;)

FACS said:
Where do you get these? Do you have to buy them? I wasn't given these when I did my ACLS.

Do you want to read them when someone goes into cardiac arrest or do you want to read them when someone goes into one and you dont know what to do? :)

punk said:
Do you want to read them when someone goes into cardiac arrest or do you want to read them when someone goes into one and you dont know what to do? :)

oops....sorry..when someone is going to have cardiac arrest

KentW said:

That stuff is liquid gold in our county hospital.

punk said:

Eh, no. I want to get them now while I'm still a student and go over them frequently, so I'll be prepared as an intern when someone goes into arrest. That's why I asked the question, dip$hit.

:laugh: about the hemoccult developer...I stole a bottle from the ortho floor early in my intern year and it's still in my pocket. Developer is like gold here too...

And as an intern you likely won't be running a code until later in the year. I haven't run one yet, and it's April. You won't be running a code on day one (contrary to what is shown on ER/Gray's Anatomy).

That's it. I'm going to be a pusher on the corner of 6 West and the elevators. I gots your fix baby, Grade A pure hemoccult developer, the best heme cards this side of the ICU. The good stuff.

DOtobe said:
:laugh: about the hemoccult developer...I stole a bottle from the ortho floor early in my intern year and it's still in my pocket. Developer is like gold here too...

I have been on 3 different rotations where the first thing out of the intern/residents mouth when I introduced myself was, "do you have any developer?" I have 3 sealed bottles that I scored at a private hospital that had about 6 cases of the stuff in the ICU supply room. I'm going to have figure out how to put a chain on that stuff so I don't lose it next year.

BE

brooklyneric said:
I have been on 3 different rotations where the first thing out of the intern/residents mouth when I introduced myself was, "do you have any developer?" I have 3 sealed bottles that I scored at a private hospital that had about 6 cases of the stuff in the ICU supply room. I'm going to have figure out how to put a chain on that stuff so I don't lose it next year.

BE

You should attach a gold chain to it and wear it around your neck, as homage to Flavor-Flav :laugh:

Hurricane said:
You should attach a gold chain to it and wear it around your neck, as homage to Flavor-Flav :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My poor attempt at Photoshop (God, I'm bored...)

flavahem.jpg

Yeah boyeee!!!

DOtobe said:
And as an intern you likely won't be running a code until later in the year. I haven't run one yet, and it's April. You won't be running a code on day one (contrary to what is shown on ER/Gray's Anatomy).

On my 2nd night on call EVER, 2 wks into internship, I had to run a code. He was 10 hrs post-op gastric bypass, required fiberoptic intubation in the OR, was extubated in recovery. After only witnessing 2 codes as a med student, I had to run this one, AND do an emergency surgical airway.

Needless to say, he died. . . But he died with an airway.

(on post, he had massive GI ulceration and 2L of blood in his GI tract)

Yeah, Roux surgeons LOVE to do early extubations on their patients. Um, Doctor Sir, your patient 2 hours post-op still weighs 400 lbs and has a neck fatter than my waist. Then they act all surprised when OSA plus post-op splinting create atelectasis and respiratory distress. Never saw that one coming....

Ooooh...what about those little "Brush-up" things?? Faster than a toothbrush!!

I would always bring my toothbrush and toothpaste on call nights. Just find a spare minute in the morning to brush your teeth.

Mumpu said:
Yeah, Roux surgeons LOVE to do early extubations on their patients. Um, Doctor Sir, your patient 2 hours post-op still weighs 400 lbs and has a neck fatter than my waist. Then they act all surprised when OSA plus post-op splinting create atelectasis and respiratory distress. Never saw that one coming....
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just set my teeth in a glass of water by the bed at night.

Gum. That way you can be all badass and be like "I became a doctor to kick ass and chew bubblegum and I'm all out of gum." Trust me, you need to have some sort of breath freshener to pop into your mouth when going for that 4 am admit and mastication helps me to wake up.

Mumpu said:
Gum. That way you can be all badass and be like "I became a doctor to kick ass and chew bubblegum and I'm all out of gum." Trust me, you need to have some sort of breath freshener to pop into your mouth when going for that 4 am admit and mastication helps me to wake up.

You mean you're actually getting some sleep when you get paged for the 4 am admit? Lucky. :)

I'd go with TicTacs, Altoids, or those disgusting breath strips that melt after you apply them to your tongue.

Personally, if I had to chew after being paged at 4am, I am pretty sure I'd choke on the gum :)