Must need IPad apps??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IrishGiants28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm about to start medical school and I just bought an IPad. Are there any recommendations on any apps I should buy? I was looking at some anatomy apps but I can't decide which one to get! Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Netters anatomy guide? I heard its phenomenal.

The following is blatantly copied from a medical forum. I would imagine that most students in DO integrated schools may find some of these useful, and others not:

1. Epocrates: This is a fantastic app for pharmacology, both in the clinical setting, as well as for light use as a study tool. The MOA of each drug is given a basic summary in the drug info, as well as pregnancy precautions, side effects, contraindications etc. This is far and away my #1 used app. Epocrates also has a whole suite of other applications that I've found some use for. Just click on "developer info" from the app store and you'll see everything else they have. Oh, and Epocrates gives free full-memberships to medical students. Cost: Free

2. Eponyms: This is an awesome tool for learning what becomes the bane of many medical student's existence during MS1-MS2 "Eponyms". Those stupid signs, diseases, tests etc. that are named after someone who discovered, or developed them. McBurney's point anyone? How about Schmidt's syndrome? These things can be tough to keep straight.
The eponyms are listed by discipline, or merely alphabetically and you can flag them as you learn them. I find the flagging feature useful for exams. I generally flag an eponym as it comes up in a course, then I can focus on the flagged ones as I study. It turns into a flashcard app using it that way. I'm about 1/4 of the way through MS2 and I have a few hundred eponyms starred at this point. Cost: Free

3. Instant ECG: I just got this one, since I used a book to learn ECG interpretation initially. But I'm interested in Cardiology so I figured having a reference on me at all times might be nice so I can polish/enhance my skills while riding the train to clinic etc. It's a solid app, and I think it's well worth the price. Cost: $1.99 I think.

4. Med Calc: Handy calculator with formulas for just about any calculation you might need to do. Anion Gap, Framingham CVD risk etc. Cost: Free

5. Doximity: Think of this as a huge white pages of doctors. You can search by name, college and graduation year, and you will be listed in this reference when you start. You can also save your colleagues so it's like a contacts list of your medstudent/doctor acquaintances. Cost: Free

6. Bento: This one isn't a medical app per-se, but I use it to augment my studying. I have Bento on my Mac ($19-$29, I think) and I use it to build databases of my lecture notes. The iPhone app lets me upload those databases into the phone so I have access to them anywhere. So now I have a microbiology library, disease library, lab test library, etc and it's all written in my own words and organized the way I like it. It even allows you to include photos and stuff so my Histology library is pretty sweet! FOr rotations, there are a lot of patient log templates that you can use if you have to submit things back to school. I have to submit a log of every patient I see this year (de-identified of course) so I generally input them in the phone as I go and then upload them to the computer to be sent to my instructor. I think the app was $4.99.

7. Journals, that's not the name of an app, but there are tons of apps for medical journals. I have NEJM, JAHA, PulmCCM, Practical Gastro, Annals of IM, etc. Most all of them are free.

8. Prognosis: There are a ton of these games, and they're all based on clinical cases. They're sorta simple because of the way the game is set up, but it's a nice review and lets you test your skills. It's sorta like getting "pimped" in that you are given options of what to do with the case and you're graded on your decisions. It would be nicer if there were more choices because that's what makes them too easy, but I've still failed plenty of the cases.
The apps are all free.

9. Lippincott apps: I've found apps published by Lippincott that are excellent for board review, some more so than others but the gist is the same:
• Moore's Clinical Anatomy
• Rubin's Pathology Flash Cards
• McConnell Human Form Human Function
• Stedman's Medical Terminology Q&A (this one is mostly useful for folks who have a more limited medical background).

10. Some heart and lung sound practice: Blaufuss sound builder, and Littmann Sound Builder.

11. MediBabble: Has the basic clinical encounter in several different languages, you can play your questions to the patient. How you get your answer back is a different matter though.

12. Blood Gas: Good overview of interpretation of ABG's and a quick reference range chart.

13. Hematology Outlines: Awesome glossary of hematology terms as well as a hematology "family tree" that outlines all the hematopoietic cells and their lineage (huge for hematology study).

14. Nerve Whiz: This is an awesome app for nervous system review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would substitute Micromedex for epocrates.

Micromedex is an overall better product. The app provides any information you would possibly want to know, while epocrates tends to skimp on the details.

Medscape can do most of what is listed above, Rx, calculations, and disease reference. It's my goto app for 3rd/4th year. You can probably use it to look up diseases/conditions for 2nd year.

Also, I have UpToDate, as a bookmark on my homepage. It has to be the best medical reference out there. You need a subscription, which your school should have.

AO Surgery is a must have also. PubMed for article searching, and also dropbox for all your books on PDF.