Need a car for school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyPomme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For current pod students, especially Temple and Western ones, is a car necessary for everyday types of things (i.e. getting to school, running errands, etc.), or even during the clinical years? I know carpooling is an option, but Im trying to find the most "commuter-friendly" school among all the ones I got accepted to (Temple, Western, Kent and Scholl) as this will make my decision much easier.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

For current pod students, especially Temple and Western ones, is a car necessary for everyday types of things (i.e. getting to school, running errands, etc.), or even during the clinical years? I know carpooling is an option, but Im trying to find the most "commuter-friendly" school among all the ones I got accepted to (Temple, Western, Kent and Scholl) as this will make my decision much easier.

Thanks in advance!
I would say it's theoretically possible to get away with not having a car for the first two years if you have a few friends that don't mind carting you around once in a while, but I don't think you'd be making your life easier by not having one. I know people at Scholl who commuted from downtown Chicago on the train and didn't have cars first and second year. Since they lived in downtown Chicago they could also walk or use public transportation for groceries and running errands. However, I don't think it's possible to get through clinical years without one.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks in advance!

The ability to walk anywhere and not need a car was one of my reasons for choosing Temple (I live in Manhattan)! I visited all of the schools you mentioned, except for Kent - and Temple's location in downtown Philly wins in terms of not needing a car all four yrs. (It's reminiscent of Manhattan/downtown Chi lifestyle.) Scholl, although close to Chi Town, is still about a 50 min drive/1.20hr train ride; so likely that staying close by school first two years is best. Western's in LA county, which means getting around without a car is pretty much a no-go.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't had any problems without a car @ Scholl. Theres a shuttle service that takes you to target and the train station is only 10 minutes away if you want to go to the city. The ride to downtown isn't so bad, 45-50 minutes goes by real quick. You could also always get off on other stops on the way down. I am used to having a car and driving everywhere, but I found that I spend majority of my time on campus either in lecture or studying anyways so it hasn't bothered me.

Reactions: 1 user