Must Watch Psychology Movies / Videos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for all us health psych folks, the bbc miniseries "the singing detective" (not the 2 hour movie w/ robert downey junior, though he is a handsome man). mental illness, disfiguring chronic illness, musical numbers, and all sorts of fun psychodynamics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDOe...book.com/profile.php?id=721756689&ref=profile

Members don't see this ad.

Two movies that can spark discussion regarding classical conditioning/observational learning/Nurture vs. Nature/behavioral and social development:

The Secrets of a Wild Child - Nova film (I haven't seen this one but it was recommended to me)

Nell

Members don't see this ad :)
"Taxi Driver"

Robert De Niro seems to have schizotypal personality. The film also addressed some social issues, the aftermath of war, etc, in NY.

"Fatal Attraction"

Glen Close seems to have BPD (though the ending is over the top.) The moodiness, the rage, fear of loneliness...well presented.

"What About Bob?"

Funny film about a patient with possible OCD and also dependent personality traits in Bill Murray, being treated by a narcissistic therapist in Richard Dreyfuss. The film also teaches you about boundary issues and a relation gone very very wrong...all in hilarious ways. The family issues of the therapist are also interesting.

"Born on the Fourth of July"

Tom Cruise is one of the vets trying to cope with trauma of the war.

Lots of sitcoms give you plenty of exposure to narcissistic characters: Frasier, Seinfeld, Will & Grace...

Last edited by a moderator:
No one mentioned Titicut Follies - a famous banned film, only recently unbanned?

"Titicut Follies is a black and white 1967 documentary film by United States filmmaker Frederick Wiseman about the treatment of inmates / patients at Bridgewater State Hospital for the criminally insane, a Massachusetts Correctional Institution in Bridgewater, Massachusetts."

The abuses are ridiculous and sadly real. It's true footage and more disturbing than any Hannibal Lecter. You can watch it here, other places on the net:

http://www.egtvonline.com/video/titicut-follies-mental-institution-documentary/

It highlights how far we've come - but also, of course, to a certain extent, how much more progress we have to make, especially with regard to the criminally insane or violent patients.

Revolution #9 is an excellent movie about schizophrenia
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/revolution_no_9/

" Tim McCann’s (Desolation Angels) award-winning film is an emotionally charged and moving portrait of a young man’s descent into mental illness. Michael Risley delivers an extraordinary performance as James Jackson, a recently engaged young man living in New York City. He soon imagines himself the victim of an overwhelming sensory attack by corporate media. After tracing these influences to a television commercial, he begins to seek out its unsuspecting director (Spalding Gray). Posing as a reporter for a film journal, Jackson prepares for what becomes a disturbing face-to-face confrontation. Meanwhile, Jackson’s fiancee (Adrienne Shelly). desperately attempts to get him treatment, but becomes entangled by the Kafka-esque workings of the mental health care system. As their relationship strains, it seems that Jackson is determined to uncover this conspiracy by any means necessary."

By Roger Ebert

"Canvas" is a serious film about mental illness and a sentimental heartwarmer, and succeeds in both ways. It tells the story of a 10-year-old whose mother is schizophrenic, and whose father is loyal and loving but stretched almost beyond his endurance.
The portrayal of schizophrenia in the film has been praised by mental health experts as unusually accurate and sympathetic; the story of the boy and his dad is a portrait of love under enormous stress​

This is a must see for students and professionals, it's a bit dry, but the information covered is real world effects the mental health system has on a person. http://www.mindsontheedge.org

Note: you can request a copy of the DVD to show it to a class or a public screening...

MINDS ON THE EDGE: Facing Mental Illness is a multi-platform media project that explores severe mental illness in America.

The centerpiece of the project is a television program airing on PBS stations in October 2009. This video component is part of a national initiative that includes extensive web content with tools for civic engagement, active social media on Facebook and Twitter, and an ambitious strategy to engage citizens, professionals in many fields, and policy makers at all levels of government. The goal is to advance consensus about how to improve the kinds of support and treatment available for people with mental illness.

omg you guys MUST see "The Snake Pit"- it is a film from 1948 (!!) that depicts a young woman hospitalized in a psych asylum after suffering a mental breakdown and her experiences thereafter. according to an after-show clip by a film historian on PBS (where I originally watched the movie), "The Snake Pit" was the first movie to ever discuss psychotherapy as a form of healing, which made the film "ground-breaking" for its time.

I usually don't really enjoy much older films, but this particular one is fascinating as it really brings to light the emergence of "talking therapy" opposed to alternative treatments that were the norm @ the time such as electroshock and lobotomies.

Definitely a must see for those clinical psych people out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
"The Boy Who Could Fly" is another movie I recommend. I loved this one as a kid (still do). There's a fantasy element in it, but I think it's a decent portrayal of autism.

Fear Inside --Agoraphobia
Rain Man --Autism spectrum
Sylvia (i.e. the famous Sylvia Plath) --Bipolar
Prozac Nation -- Depression
Aviator -- OCD/ OCPD?
Peacock -- DID
Soloist -- Schizophrenia
Mrs. Dalloway -- PTSD (Shell shock? Anxiety Disorders?)
Shine -- Anxiety
When a Man Loves a Woman -- Addiction
Walk the Line -- Addiction
Gia -- Addiction
Away from Her -- Dementia
Little Children -- Sex offender
Savages -- Dementia
Proof -- Schizophrenia
To Lie in Green Pastures -- Dementia

Misc.
Sunset Blvd.
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Forgotten

Aviator -- OCD/ OCPD?
Peacock -- DID
Soloist -- Schizophrenia
Shine -- Anxiety
Gia -- Addiction
Savages -- Dementia
Proof -- Schizophrenia

Misc.
Sunset Blvd.
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Forgotten

I think that movie is a good example of psychosis (schizophrenia/ schizoaffective disorder).

If you want a recommendation for a TV show, Lie to Me is running these days and I highly recommend it. It's based on the FACS and the deception work of Paul Ekman and evidently he consults with the show. Plus Tim Roth is the lead character, he's awesome.

Has anyone on here seen Abandon with Katie Holmes and Charlie Hunnam? I was nothing short of obsessive about this movie in high school before I moved on to The Royal Tenenbaums. Anyway.... Abandon is a psychological thriller and I'm not really sure what the main character portrays... sociopathy? some kind of psychosis or psychotic episode? I dunno if there even is a concrete answer or if the movie is just supposed to mess with the viewer and confuse him or her. Thoughts?

Speaking of Obsessed... there is the movie Obsessed which deals with BPD? It's been a few years since I saw this movie but it was definitely kind of scary.

Aviator -- OCD/ OCPD?
Peacock -- DID
Soloist -- Schizophrenia
Shine -- Anxiety
Gia -- Addiction
Savages -- Dementia
Proof -- Schizophrenia

Misc.
Sunset Blvd.
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Forgotten

I read Prozac Nation as a sophmore in college (so a while ago) and then saw the movie just a few months ago. Although I remember the book as being more about depression, it seemed like the movie depicted Borderline PD.

I read Prozac Nation as a sophmore in college (so a while ago) and then saw the movie just a few months ago. Although I remember the book as being more about depression, it seemed like the movie depicted Borderline PD.

Yes. This was my impression as well. Maybe they thought the BPD angle would be more enticing as a movie...?

The book was very much about Borderline PD at least as much as depression, even if it wasn't labeled as such. If you read anything else of hers, that pretty much confirms her diagnosis, too.

I'd like to highly recommend the brilliant and immensely talented screenwriter, Charlie Kaufman. This man is a pure genius. He creates such realistically flawed characters, that you can't help but empathize with, and embeds them in rich, multiple-layered stories. He writes the most meaningful and deeply profound movies, that consistently have a psych/mind/brain bent to them. His style is so unique, original, and utterly captivating, without ever being contrived. If you love psychology, you must see his Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Being John Malcovich, and Adaptation.

For those that are interested in (lucid) dreams and philosophy, go see Waking Life. Also, the new film with the Dark Knight director and Leo Dicaprio, Inception, centers directly on this and looks bad a**

Shutter Island is pretty psychological, though it screws with your mind a lot.

Thin- Documentary on Eating Disorder Treatment
Addiction Series by HBO
Wild Strawberries- Classic Bergman movie about aging process looking at integrity vs despair.
Margot at the Wedding- family dynamics and borderline personality disorder
The squid and the whale- family dynamics, narcissistic pd, adolescent issues.
Must read after my death- an interesting documentary of audio tapes a family recorded which discuss a variety interests.
Frontline:The Released- follows several mentally ill individuals and the struggles they face after release from prison.
A Christmas Story- French film about dysfunctional family.
What are Dreams-NOVA- interesting discussion of differing research about dreams and their importance.

Anyone with an interest in systems psychology should watch the fabulous HBO series The Wire. Best show ever!

Waking Life

Existential, psychological and other philosophical/scientific issues. Just a good movie really, will trip you out and really make you think. I'd highly recommend it to anyone "intellectual" really!

Ordinary People.

Maybe it was already mentioned. I have always liked this movie. A really honest movie about survivor guilt, trauma, and complex family dynamics.

I was lucky enough to get into the cinema class on psychopathology during my undergrad (it's a popular course!) and we watched a few good ones :)

Some of my favourites were:

Lars and the Real Girl - disorder is a bit unclear (I think it's left up the viewer to decide), but I think the movie is more about recognizing the line between normal and not (or functional/dysfunctional)

Ben X - good movie about autism/asperger's; it's in Welsh, but comes with English subtitles

A Beautiful Mind - I think this was already mentioned, but I second it :thumbup:

King of Hearts is a good Psychology movie too

http://www.allwatchers.com/Topics/info_3816.asp
This is a movie/parody of WWI set in a small town in France. Three soldiers are sent as an advance to evaluate conditions before the main force is sent. Hearing voices, the lead actor enter a building and finds a hospital floor full of patients. As he is proclaimed the King of Hearts, he realizes the place is an insane asylum and he flees, leaving the gate to the ward unlocked.

Following is a parody of inmates returning to the places and post they once occupied, or identified with. The movie revolves around this corporal (lead actor) attempting to save the townspeople from dying in this explosion of a German-set bomb. As they are all leaving the town, the people he wants to save stop at the edge of town and explain their refusal to leave by asking him where is it safer/crazier, at the asylum or out there, where man is killing man with bombs and bullets. They return to the asylum and the corporal disassembles the bomb and prevents the destruction of the town. In a military encounter before, British and German soldiers met in the center of the village and killed each other off, the futility of fighting wars exalted.

The British eventually take the town and the corporal is returned to the ranks. As the movie ends, you see the corporal walking down this street, shedding his rifle and backpack, then his cassock, shirt and pants, as he approaches the entrance gate to the asylum and goes in stark naked.

Radio Flyer - Child Abuse
28 Days - Substance Abuse
Accidental Tourist - Communication and Conflict Resolution
Birdy - schizophrenia
Bill: On His Own - Low functioning man... life on his own after years of institution

Fatal Attraction -- I always thought she was Borderline

An old prof of mine loved, "I never promised you a rose garden." I believe the students liked it too. As I watched it in grad school, I cannot remember exactly what it was about because I have mostly repressed those years. :)

I know it has been mentioned, but I looove HBO's "In Treatment." It provides for many good conversations with colleagues.

And I agree with the poster who mentioned Real Housewives on NJ! Although I don't know that crazy b*tch is in the DSM yet.

For the poster who wanted to see therapy in action, there are many training videos out there, but they are often $100+ I'd ask profs if they own any that you could borrow.

Best,
Dr. Eliza