Mutations To Know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we expected to know anything about specific mutations for the MCAT?

Fragile-X, Kleinfelters, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Are we expected to know anything about specific mutations for the MCAT?

Fragile-X, Kleinfelters, etc?

Knowing more can never hurt, but no, I don't believe you need to know anything like that. In my experience even the more specific MCAT bio trivia is more physiology-based rather than disease-specific.

Ok. I was just asking because I did a question earlier about Kleinfelter's syndrome and it assumed you knew the genotype. I didn't/don't.

im pretty sure you just need to know very basic stuff like missense mutations, nonsensce, frameshift, etc; not specific ones. theyd prob give you that in a passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
im pretty sure you just need to know very basic stuff like missense mutations, nonsensce, frameshift, etc; not specific ones. theyd prob give you that in a passage.

Ok thanks, I think I know those :)

The only ones that aren't obvious from the name are nonsense and missense, right?

nonsense = indel that produces a stop codon
missense = indel that does not produce a stop codon, but does produce a different AA
silent = indel that produces a different codon that codes for the same AA

Are those correct?

The only ones that aren't obvious from the name are nonsense and missense, right?

missense = indel that does not produce a stop codon, but does produce a different AA

Are those correct?

yep and remember that out of those three, nonsense is the most deadly, followed by missence, then silent.

Are those correct?

Yes, except those are usually the results of substitutions/point mutations, not insertions/deletions. Insertions/deletions are going to give you a frameshift (in non-multiples of three), and more generally just **** up everything.

yep and remember that out of those three, nonsense is the most deadly, followed by missence, then silent.

Where does it say that nonsense is the most deadly?

I can see how in certain situations a nonsense mutation would be very serious, but at the same time a missense could make all of the downstream AAs wrong and have the same effect as a nonsense mutation -- a useless protein.

Well, a missense MAY create a nonfunctional protein, while a nonsense will ALWAYS create a nonfunctional protein.