MW-AZ Interview Analysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Salvaje

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So during my recent interview at Midwestern (AZ) the interviewer, who was one of the professors there, kept mentioning "Btw you're doing a wonderful job" or "Wow that was a very good answer - I like that". In addition, the professor could, off the top of his head, recall with amazing detail certain aspects of my application in a way which made me believe that he had read the entire thing himself top to bottom. I've only had one interview thus far so I am not sure if all this is a good sign or just that he treats all applicants like they're special to sort of take the edge off.

So, at the risk of sounding like a teenage girl unsure about whether a certain guy likes me because he smiled a little too long or remembered my name, does basically everyone get a similar experience or is it an exclusive "thumbs up" reserved for those who the school really wants to admit? I'm probably over analyzing everything but some outside input would really help.

Members don't see this ad.

So during my recent interview at Midwestern (AZ) the interviewer, who was one of the professors there, kept mentioning "Btw you're doing a wonderful job" or "Wow that was a very good answer - I like that". In addition, the professor could, off the top of his head, recall with amazing detail certain aspects of my application in a way which made me believe that he had read the entire thing himself top to bottom. I've only had one interview thus far so I am not sure if all this is a good sign or just that he treats all applicants like they're special to sort of take the edge off.

So, at the risk of sounding like a teenage girl unsure about whether a certain guy likes me because he smiled a little too long or remembered my name, does basically everyone get a similar experience or is it an exclusive "thumbs up" reserved for those who the school really wants to admit? I'm probably over analyzing everything but some outside input would really help.

If you are a girl that's pretty and has a good personality, then you would have a good shot of getting admitted. They know how to choose their female students.

its probably a combination of the fact that you were indeed doing well, and he was going out of his way to make you feel comfortable and relaxed

midwestern AZ really does an amazing job in terms of treating us with hospitality

Members don't see this ad :)

sounds VERY MUCH like the school is planning to accept you.... congrats

If you are a girl that's pretty and has a good personality, then you would have a good shot of getting admitted. They know how to choose their female students.

You're not the first person I've heard say this. What does this mean?!

During my interview at UF the interviewer spoke as if I were already going to attend the school telling me what I needed to do before I graduate. Kind of threw me off.

its probably a combination of the fact that you were indeed doing well, and he was going out of his way to make you feel comfortable and relaxed

midwestern az really does an amazing job in terms of treating us with hospitality

+1

You're not the first person I've heard say this. What does this mean?!
this statement is very true. MWU-Az has a strong preference for attractive females.

this statement is very true. MWU-Az has a strong preference for attractive females.

Who doesn't.... there are more male adcoms than female lol

But the better question now becomes... what about the "less" attractive females?

But the better question now becomes... what about the "less" attractive females?

Good luck else where? The funny thing is even though the female students are attractive, most of the male students are either already married or are Mormon.

Haha I am actually not an "attractive female" so I guess that universal advantage is unfortunately lost on me. I'm actually a 6'8 half samoan, half swedish male who just wants to get into dental school based on his merits alone. If MW-AZ really does bias their acceptances based on married, Morman guys and pretty girls (which I'm not saying they do) then it would be a shame that yet ANOTHER dental school would be so petty in their assement of what a good dentist should be on something so unrelated.

Btw I'm referencing the fact that Howard/Meharry prefer Black students over White/Asian ones and how Loma Linda prefers Christian students over non-Christians which, I personally think, is absolutely absurd. Most people could care less what color their healthcare provider is or what God they believe in just so long as they are competant and compassionate in their work. The fact that these schools cater to certain individuals for completely arbitrary reasons is astonishing and I feel like they are missing out on some quality pre-dents who should have just as much of a chance in competing for their dream as anyone else. But hey, thats another topic for another thread.

Haha I am actually not an "attractive female" so I guess that universal advantage is unfortunately lost on me. I'm actually a 6'8 half samoan, half swedish male who just wants to get into dental school based on his merits alone. If MW-AZ really does bias their acceptances based on married, Morman guys and pretty girls (which I'm not saying they do) then it would be a shame that yet ANOTHER dental school would be so petty in their assement of what a good dentist should be on something so unrelated.

Btw I'm referencing the fact that Howard/Meharry prefer Black students over White/Asian ones and how Loma Linda prefers Christian students over non-Christians which, I personally think, is absolutely absurd. Most people could care less what color their healthcare provider is or what God they believe in just so long as they are competant and compassionate in their work. The fact that these schools cater to certain individuals for completely arbitrary reasons is astonishing and I feel like they are missing out on some quality pre-dents who should have just as much of a chance in competing for their dream as anyone else. But hey, thats another topic for another thread.

i dont think the fact that a lot of dental schools seem to admit a lot of mormon guys has anything to do with the fact that they are mormon. all the mormon guys i know have some sort of "life experience" under their belt, and have better than average stats.

Members don't see this ad :)

:thumbup: I agree with you 100%, Salvaje.

On a side note, you're like the tiniest applicant I've ever heard of at 6'8?! I'm 6'1 and I have tough time working in tiny mouths. But I'm sure you'll get used to it. :laugh:

This whole MWU-AZ only accepts pretty girls thing has got to stop. It is absolutely ridiculous and virtually impossible for any school to bias their selection like that.

Most of the masters students in last years program (a strong amount happen to be active on SDN), including myself, made a few observations IN JEST about how the dental students around campus have mostly been pretty girls and married/Mormon men. Is this stereotype true? TO AN EXTENT, yes. But that's exactly what it is, a STEREOTYPE i.e. A SMALL SAMPLE SIZE of about 10-15 people who happen to be the most visible/memorable (*GASP* this probably explains why they're pretty and thus married) out of a class of 110.

Same experience. He actually gave me an A++++ for one of my answers.

agreed. mwu-az's chicks are mint

One huge advantage to being LDS too is that any LDS will help out another LDS. Guy at my school said he got three remarkable letters from people he barely knew from just asking around his ward/stake. Can you imagine the bias on an admissions board?

hmm sorry if this is a bit of a touchy topic, but is dating someone in your class necessarily wrong or off?

i mean it seems like while spending four years with your classmates youd eventually find interest in a few of them :laugh:

hmm sorry if this is a bit of a touchy topic, but is dating someone in your class necessarily wrong or off?

i mean it seems like while spending four years with your classmates youd eventually find interest in a few of them :laugh:

I would vote against dating your classmates. If things go awkward (which usually is the case), you'll be seeing them for the next 4 years...which will be miserable. Just go date above and below your class, or perhaps visit the pharmacy side :love:

Good luck else where? The funny thing is even though the female students are attractive, most of the male students are either already married or are Mormon.

I saw this at my Colorado interview this past weekend. There were a ton of dudes and most of them were mormon... and married. There were three of us girls in the group and I would consider the other two to be attractive. Overall, I think the group as a whole was good looking.

Last edited:

It is about as absurd as wanting/demanding to continue playing little league even after having a college degree under the belt.

Depends on the interviewer. I'm pretty sure the guy who interviewed me hadn't read my file since Midwestern is a closed-file interview. Maybe you happened to get an interviewer who had read yours but I don't think that is the case for everyone interviewed there. So yes I guess you have an advantage in that regard. As far as the nice comments it depends on who gave them. For us they split us into two groups, one of the interviewers made every person he interviewed feel like they were getting in and the other interviewer made all the people he interviewed feel unsure of themselves. I think they have to control for that somehow otherwise everyone with the easier interviewer would get marked high and everyone with the more difficult one would get marked low. Obviously if the more difficult interviewer told you those things then it probably carries more weight than if the interviewer who makes everyone feel good said it.

One huge advantage to being LDS too is that any LDS will help out another LDS. Guy at my school said he got three remarkable letters from people he barely knew from just asking around his ward/stake. Can you imagine the bias on an admissions board?

a huge advantage? more of an ethical flaw.