• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

    October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

    Register Now!

  • Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

    Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

    JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

    Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

    LEARN MORE

My #1 school has me on a WL, with a good chance of me coming off of it, but my CTE is June 15th. What can I do?

JustCallMeDoctor

Full Member
Jan 29, 2020
19
22
11
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey guys! My #1 school has me on a high priority waitlist which has been confirmed by the school that I will most probably be pulled off at some point before August. However, my accepted school has a CTE of June 15th but I REALLY want to attend my waitlist school. Is there some way I could reach out to the institutions and tell them about my circumstances and maybe get movement sooner or have CTE pushed? I know it seems like I'm asking for special circumstances, and maybe I am, but I want to make sure I'm doing all I can to attend my #1 school. Anyone have any advice?
 

Dr. Anonymouss

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2018
658
870
116
You can still commit to that school and drop it if you are pulled off the waitlist at your #1 school. Waitlist movement is much different than holding multiple acceptances.

EDIT: Sorry I was mistaking CME with PTE. I would definitely reach out to the school and let them know of your dilemma. How you are accepted at school X which has a CME on June 15th, yet their school is your number one choice.
 

Black Suede

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2019
72
118
116
Since you know you're high-priority on the WL, I don't think it would hurt you to explain your situation to your #1 school. In my experience, they will most likely be very understanding and give you a decision prior to the June 15th CTE date of your other school. Especially because once you CTE at at a school you have to withdraw all other acceptances and WL appointments per AMCAS guidelines.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
26,004
47,452
526
  1. Attending Physician
You can still commit to that school and drop it if you are pulled off the waitlist at your #1 school. Waitlist movement is much different than holding multiple acceptances.
That school may not do so when they see that he has committed to another school.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
23,842
40,436
276
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
Hey guys! My #1 school has me on a high priority waitlist which has been confirmed by the school that I will most probably be pulled off at some point before August. However, my accepted school has a CTE of June 15th but I REALLY want to attend my waitlist school. Is there some way I could reach out to the institutions and tell them about my circumstances and maybe get movement sooner or have CTE pushed? I know it seems like I'm asking for special circumstances, and maybe I am, but I want to make sure I'm doing all I can to attend my #1 school. Anyone have any advice?
1) Its called a waitlist for a reason: you wait
2) you will either hear by June 15th and you will goto WL school or you will go to current acceptance
3) don’t screw around with CTE else you may find yourself without a chair when the music stops
4) as @Goro likes to say you are not special snowflake. Or as my Mother would say “you want your cake and eat it too.”
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

KnightDoc

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
6,548
2
7,327
126
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey guys! My #1 school has me on a high priority waitlist which has been confirmed by the school that I will most probably be pulled off at some point before August. However, my accepted school has a CTE of June 15th but I REALLY want to attend my waitlist school. Is there some way I could reach out to the institutions and tell them about my circumstances and maybe get movement sooner or have CTE pushed? I know it seems like I'm asking for special circumstances, and maybe I am, but I want to make sure I'm doing all I can to attend my #1 school. Anyone have any advice?
No reason to reach out to the CTE school, which set that date for a reason (to lock you in and firm up their class). Why the hell would they give you more time to see if you can get in where you really want to go while keeping them as a backup? Do you think you would have received the A from them in the first place if that was part of your narrative during the process?

On the other hand, it might be worth asking the WL school if they will allow you to remain on the WL after your CTE date at the other school. If they are playing by the rules they will say no, but it's really your only play -- tell them they are your #1, and that you would drop the other school if they give you an A, but you can't give up the other school without the A based on "most probably be pulled off at some point." Every day that passes form this point forward you are just a little less likely to be pulled off, until it's game over when school begins (or very soon thereafter).

They will either give you an A before 6/15, consent to your request to "break the rules" and stay on their WL while CTEing at the other school, or force you to withdraw when the see the CTE (or just kick you off themselves). This is the very definition of doing all you can do. @gonnif is 1,000% correct -- if you blow the CTE date based on "most probably," you will have NOTHING on 6/16, and will be like everyone on the WL support thread praying you get an A before classes begin.

Question -- is 6/15 three weeks before orientation begins at the CTE school? If so, you don't have until August -- very few if any schools will knowingly poach you from another school once classes begin. If not, that's a point to make to your WL school -- that they should work with you and allow you to break the rules because the CTE school set an unreasonably early deadline inconsistent with AAMC guidance. Good luck!!!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

gulli_97

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2018
202
324
116
This is anecdotal but I read earlier on this forum of an applicant in this same situation - high priority, school was telling applicant that they'll accept soon - and the applicant was never accepted! He/she did not have an acceptance in hand though. I'd be wary of what schools tell you until you actually have an official letter of acceptance.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

KnightDoc

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
6,548
2
7,327
126
  1. Pre-Medical
This is anecdotal but I read earlier on this forum of an applicant in this same situation - high priority, school was telling applicant that they'll accept soon - and the applicant was never accepted! He/she did not have an acceptance in hand though. I'd be wary of what schools tell you until you actually have an official letter of acceptance.
This^^^^^. Every single year, at every single school, there is one person on the WL who would have been the very next person to be called if only there was one more opening, but it never happened. You don't have it until you have it. If a dean doesn't feel good enough about your chances to make you the offer before he has the seat, and risk being over enrolled by one person, how can you as a candidate give up an A in favor of a HPWL that you "will most probably be pulled off at some point," and risk being under enrolled by one medical school come August??????
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.