My #1 school has me on a WL, with a good chance of me coming off of it, but my CTE is June 15th. What can I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustCallMeDoctor

Reaction score
Hey guys! My #1 school has me on a high priority waitlist which has been confirmed by the school that I will most probably be pulled off at some point before August. However, my accepted school has a CTE of June 15th but I REALLY want to attend my waitlist school. Is there some way I could reach out to the institutions and tell them about my circumstances and maybe get movement sooner or have CTE pushed? I know it seems like I'm asking for special circumstances, and maybe I am, but I want to make sure I'm doing all I can to attend my #1 school. Anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You can still commit to that school and drop it if you are pulled off the waitlist at your #1 school. Waitlist movement is much different than holding multiple acceptances.

EDIT: Sorry I was mistaking CME with PTE. I would definitely reach out to the school and let them know of your dilemma. How you are accepted at school X which has a CME on June 15th, yet their school is your number one choice.

Since you know you're high-priority on the WL, I don't think it would hurt you to explain your situation to your #1 school. In my experience, they will most likely be very understanding and give you a decision prior to the June 15th CTE date of your other school. Especially because once you CTE at at a school you have to withdraw all other acceptances and WL appointments per AMCAS guidelines.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can still commit to that school and drop it if you are pulled off the waitlist at your #1 school. Waitlist movement is much different than holding multiple acceptances.
That school may not do so when they see that he has committed to another school.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! My #1 school has me on a high priority waitlist which has been confirmed by the school that I will most probably be pulled off at some point before August. However, my accepted school has a CTE of June 15th but I REALLY want to attend my waitlist school. Is there some way I could reach out to the institutions and tell them about my circumstances and maybe get movement sooner or have CTE pushed? I know it seems like I'm asking for special circumstances, and maybe I am, but I want to make sure I'm doing all I can to attend my #1 school. Anyone have any advice?
No reason to reach out to the CTE school, which set that date for a reason (to lock you in and firm up their class). Why the hell would they give you more time to see if you can get in where you really want to go while keeping them as a backup? Do you think you would have received the A from them in the first place if that was part of your narrative during the process?

On the other hand, it might be worth asking the WL school if they will allow you to remain on the WL after your CTE date at the other school. If they are playing by the rules they will say no, but it's really your only play -- tell them they are your #1, and that you would drop the other school if they give you an A, but you can't give up the other school without the A based on "most probably be pulled off at some point." Every day that passes form this point forward you are just a little less likely to be pulled off, until it's game over when school begins (or very soon thereafter).

They will either give you an A before 6/15, consent to your request to "break the rules" and stay on their WL while CTEing at the other school, or force you to withdraw when the see the CTE (or just kick you off themselves). This is the very definition of doing all you can do. @gonnif is 1,000% correct -- if you blow the CTE date based on "most probably," you will have NOTHING on 6/16, and will be like everyone on the WL support thread praying you get an A before classes begin.

Question -- is 6/15 three weeks before orientation begins at the CTE school? If so, you don't have until August -- very few if any schools will knowingly poach you from another school once classes begin. If not, that's a point to make to your WL school -- that they should work with you and allow you to break the rules because the CTE school set an unreasonably early deadline inconsistent with AAMC guidance. Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Send the waitlist school an email. The worst they can do is say no and you remain on the WL with an acceptance in hand

Have you already tried sending a Letter of Intent/extreme interest email etc since being WL'ed?
Cant hurt at this point. Best of luck to you!

This is anecdotal but I read earlier on this forum of an applicant in this same situation - high priority, school was telling applicant that they'll accept soon - and the applicant was never accepted! He/she did not have an acceptance in hand though. I'd be wary of what schools tell you until you actually have an official letter of acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
This is anecdotal but I read earlier on this forum of an applicant in this same situation - high priority, school was telling applicant that they'll accept soon - and the applicant was never accepted! He/she did not have an acceptance in hand though. I'd be wary of what schools tell you until you actually have an official letter of acceptance.
This^^^^^. Every single year, at every single school, there is one person on the WL who would have been the very next person to be called if only there was one more opening, but it never happened. You don't have it until you have it. If a dean doesn't feel good enough about your chances to make you the offer before he has the seat, and risk being over enrolled by one person, how can you as a candidate give up an A in favor of a HPWL that you "will most probably be pulled off at some point," and risk being under enrolled by one medical school come August??????

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it isn't official 'til you're holding your acceptance letter in your hand, although email is more standard these days