My 1st ethical dilemma as a pharm student - is this facebook group appropriate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Seveneighty

ego sum venenum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just started a new facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18744763784). I haven't invited anyone yet, because after creating the group as a way of delaying studying for a big exam tomorrow, I realized it might not be the best way to represent pharmacists or myself.

Is it inappropriate to mix the hobby of drinking with the image of pharmacy -- both to the public's perception, as well as to my own professional image (i.e. employers or faculty could see the group)? Or is this just good-natured fun and completely harmless? I mean, there is at least one medical student drinking group on facebook..!

Vote with your mouse. If you like the idea of the group, JOIN. If not, well, leave your comments here. Obviously this isn't an important issue, but it could be an interesting discussion, and a nice way for me to test the waters before abandoning the suffocating amount of work I put into this facebook group. 😉
 
Dude, don't even have a facebook. Employers 100% definitely use it to screen potential hires. Mine has zero incriminating pictures of me. ZERO. IF a friend posts one, tell them to remove it. Or just make yours private view only.

When I was at Kroger, we looked at the Facebook of each intern that came in and interviewed for a job and screen out the questionable ones. It's a good idea, too. People actually reveal who they really are on Facebook.
 
Of course mine is private. If it's private, it shouldn't be a problem. Only 'friends' (people who I approve) can see my profile; nobody should have it any other way, but for some reason, they do. I wouldn't want randoms knowing my life story. In fact, I even deny non-friends the chance to look at who my friends are (which most people allow) -- because that in itself is rather creepy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I looked up a random hockey player on Facebook, just to see if even NHL'ers have a page -- turns out he has SIX different profiles. I'm guessing (well, I'm sure) not one of them is actually him.

I bet your cat has at least 3 profiles. Freakin' groupies.
 
Just wait until someone else establishes a group like that or join a group that's already established. After you join something like that, make sure you put your profile on total lock-down, unless you live in the Big Easy like me where everyone and their mothers drink alcohol.
I would stay clear of any groups that suggest illicit drug use, that's a gimme.

I'm used to be in a group that was anti drive-thru. It was a funny group, because they would always talk about how ridiculous their drive-thru was. There is a group on there called Drive-thru Pharmacy, but it's a ska band from NJ, which isn't the same as an actual drive-thru pharmacy. I'm hopeful that the band would be much better than that monstrous, McDonalds-esq invention.
 
Wait? Lol... waiting is not an option. I might be waiting for 10 years if that's the case, because not many people have the balls that I do in this regard. 😛
 
Yeah, I'm immature, and proud of that fact. My boat is quite afloat. 👍
 
Um okay?
95% of the people in my pharm class are on Facebook, and about half are active users.. Facebook started as a networking site for college/university students. Obviously you're a little bit misinformed.

Perhaps only people in Junior High say, "Sheeese grow up.....". I mean, really, who says that? 😉

And Shannon, I don't remember 'maturity' ever being mentioned as a problem in this thread. If I wanted to recruit here, do you think I would've started by talking about the possibility of joining this group being a career-killer?
 
Um okay?
95% of the people in my pharm class are on Facebook, and about half are active users.. Facebook started as a networking site for college/university students. Obviously you're a little bit misinformed.

Perhaps only people in Junior High say, "Sheeese grow up.....". I mean, really, who says that? 😉

And Shannon, I don't remember 'maturity' ever being mentioned as a problem in this thread. If I wanted to recruit here, do you think I would've started by talking about the possibility of joining this group being a career-killer?

Dude...you asked people to tell you what they thought...don't bash them if they're doing just that.
 
Um okay?
95% of the people in my pharm class are on Facebook, and about half are active users.. Facebook started as a networking site for college/university students. Obviously you're a little bit misinformed.

Perhaps only people in Junior High say, "Sheeese grow up.....". I mean, really, who says that? 😉

And Shannon, I don't remember 'maturity' ever being mentioned as a problem in this thread. If I wanted to recruit here, do you think I would've started by talking about the possibility of joining this group being a career-killer?

Gosh I am so sorry. Can I please be a member of your face book group it sounds awsome.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have facebook, i turn on privacy settings. No employer can see more than my default picture, which is of me volunteering. I think facebook projects a better picture for me.:laugh:
To all those that think facebook is for little kids- you have not been in college in the past 5 years I assume. 99% of my class has facebook, even the 30-40 year olds.
 
Forgive me.....I'm one of the 40+ people. Probably much more than that!

But - what is the purpose? Is it to just mix with folks who like what you like - drinking? Well, that is not necessarily bad, just not something I'm sure you'd want to publicize, particularly to potential employers. We've all done that in real life. Just not talked about it online.

Keep yourself anonymous & you're fine - unless you engage in illegal activities online - then you're toast.

I've never had any employer look online for activity - don't even know how they'd do that. But - don't ever, ever use an employer's computer for a private link. That will get you every tiime.
 
Do you also get mad at your profs when they correct one of your mistakes?

Ummm...sweetheart, I am not in college I am a pharmacist out in the community practicing pharmacy. Your original question was if it would damage your professional image if you had a face book group. I clearly gave you my opinion.

Now I ask you, do you get mad and defensive everytime someone has a differing opinion than you? You are obviously going to do this regardless of anyone elses opinion so why did you bother asking?
 
Forgive me.....I'm one of the 40+ people. Probably much more than that!

But - what is the purpose? Is it to just mix with folks who like what you like - drinking? Well, that is not necessarily bad, just not something I'm sure you'd want to publicize, particularly to potential employers. We've all done that in real life. Just not talked about it online.

Keep yourself anonymous & you're fine - unless you engage in illegal activities online - then you're toast.

I've never had any employer look online for activity - don't even know how they'd do that. But - don't ever, ever use an employer's computer for a private link. That will get you every tiime.


i'm going to second the above....especially the "be careful what you click on at work" advice. since i've been the designated pyxis b***h, i've become friends with the IT department. my one buddy was on my desktop remotely in, oh, 10 seconds when i needed him to fix something. he's like "yeah, we see EVERYTHING!"

i'm NEVER shopping online from work again, i tell ya!

i have a facebook, at it's private. i am not in college, i am a licensed pharmacist and i am almost 30. i think it's a great way to stay in touch with friends who live far away!
 
I think it is completely appropriate to begin a facebook group. I actually did this specifically for my class 4 months prior to school starting. By the time school started I had 50% of my class who had already joined and everybody was already talking and setting up times and places to meet. It is still used now that we're a month into school to organize intramural sports and just have general communication between the class. There has not been a single post on there saying "hey everyone! great anatomy test! lets all get wasted!"

As long as you are responsible with your own individual profile it wouldn't hinder you at all to start a group. Whether you started the group or not you're on facebook so employers can look at your profile either way. My class (and my dean as a matter of fact) actually looked at it as a great idea and a wonderful way to get us all together.
 
I think it is completely appropriate to begin a facebook group. I actually did this specifically for my class 4 months prior to school starting. By the time school started I had 50% of my class who had already joined and everybody was already talking and setting up times and places to meet. It is still used now that we're a month into school to organize intramural sports and just have general communication between the class. There has not been a single post on there saying "hey everyone! great anatomy test! lets all get wasted!"

As long as you are responsible with your own individual profile it wouldn't hinder you at all to start a group. Whether you started the group or not you're on facebook so employers can look at your profile either way. My class (and my dean as a matter of fact) actually looked at it as a great idea and a wonderful way to get us all together.

Did you read the OP's original post???
She's worried about starting a "pharmacy students who drink alcohol" group. Would your dean approve a group that made his students seem a little too curious about alcohol? Probably not.

This whole forum is starting to rack my nerves...😱
Where's Doctor M? I need some of his witty and thoughtful comments. They always make him sound sooo cute.😍
 
I dont see a need to bash you for your idea. One because Im older and see that you just wanted an honest answer. I dont think that there is anything wrong with starting a facebook group. I was new to the facebook thing recently; there was no facebook in the late 90s when i was in undergrad.

However, I dont think that you should say something like drinking and studying= a pharmacy student. That doesnt quite paint a good picture of our profession. If you drink that is fine because a lot of us do, however mixing profession with what you do on your own time isnt quite the smartest thing.

Try just starting a simple pharmacy facebook group and maybe just have a pictures of whatever in there. just my 2 cents.
 
SHE?!!!
😡
I was hoping my written voice sounded masculine!
Sorry, but yours didn't. I've been called he and dude, so I guess mine does.
Oh well. I could care less, and so should you.
There are so many female pharmacy students, like 75%, it's almost a given that the person is female, yet I still get called masculine pronouns. This whole online stuff is backwards anyways.

Now that I know...wuz up bro?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha, I really don't care.
Ain't nuthin much goin on, just got back from class.. crazy biomedical science midterm earlier today!

Anyway, I decided to use the "Gender Genie" online to see how feminine my writing is.. and you're totally right.

For my original post:

"Female Score: 390
Male Score: 229

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!"

Wow I am such a woman. I need to put my avatar back to a beer logo so people aren't as confused.
 
Just wait until someone else establishes a group like that or join a group that's already established. After you join something like that, make sure you put your profile on total lock-down, unless you live in the Big Easy like me where everyone and their mothers drink alcohol.
I would stay clear of any groups that suggest illicit drug use, that's a gimme.

I'm used to be in a group that was anti drive-thru. It was a funny group, because they would always talk about how ridiculous their drive-thru was. There is a group on there called Drive-thru Pharmacy, but it's a ska band from NJ, which isn't the same as an actual drive-thru pharmacy. I'm hopeful that the band would be much better than that monstrous, McDonalds-esq invention.
^
This was my response to your original post.
It scored:
"Female Score: 107
Male Score: 124
The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: male!"

Some of my posts scored male while others were female. It's crazy. Like I said, this online stuff is backwards.
 
My general outlook on this is, DON'T put anything on the web that you would not mind appearing on the front page of the New York Times. You can extend that to your resume. It is apart of your resume. Just because Facebook has privacy settings, does not mean they will not be hacked at some time in the future. It also does not mean someone who is in your Facebook group may not tip off a prospective employer about the group.

If it's on the web it's there forever and you never know when it's going to come back to bite you in the a**.

Just my 2 cents....
 
Thanks for your input, everyone..
I did the logical thing and just shut that puppy down. I do silly things in the morning when I'm supposed to be studying.