My application checklist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwifriend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I have been putting together a little checklist for myself to help soothe some of my anxiety over the whole application process. I've gathered a lot of my info from the forums here, and I figured I would share what I've put together to see if I am missing anything! I have personally completed steps 1-5 and am working on all the rest! I would love any and all feedback!

Thanks!

1- Complete all the pre-rec courses (In my case, I needed to check which schools require second semester organic chemistry and which will accept biochemistry instead)

2- Take the MCAT

3- Get some letters of recommendation. My school does a committee letter, but you need to submit at least 2 science letters (one can be PI) and 1 non-science letter, up to 6 letters. Look at school’s specific requirements but 2 science, 1 non-science seems to be pretty standard.

4- Write a personal statement. Be interesting and not cliche. Have other people read it!!

5- Look at your activities - try to have a balance of clinical experience (min 100 hours), volunteering (min 100 hours), shadowing (min 30-40 hours), research (publications if possible!), and hobbies (anything you like!!). If lacking anything major, sit out a cycle and work on these things.

6- Create a list of schools (include all state schools, look at 10th and 90th percentiles for GPA and MCAT, check OOS matriculation, check # of applications for low yield schools, be honest with yourself as to whether you fit with that school's mission, make sure you are okay with the location, etc.) I’m going for a list of 25ish schools because I’m paranoid, but maybe fewer would be fine. DON’T APPLY ANYWHERE YOU SERIOUSLY WOULDN’T WANT TO ATTEND. You don’t want to ever turn down an acceptance. That would be bad news.

7- Determine how much it will cost to apply and save the $$. Factor in some extra $$ for travel to interviews (fingers crossed!)

8- Gather all official transcripts from each university you've attended so you can enter the correct course info on your app

9- Start filling out primary application in May to submit in the beginning of June.

10- Pre-write secondaries if possible. Look at the secondaries from previous years and try to prep for the questions.

11- Complete secondaries as soon as possible. (Within 2 weeks?)

12- Hopefully get some interviews! Got to them. Don’t be weird. Follow Goro’s interview advice.

13- Get an acceptance! Rejoice!

14- …

15- Become a doctor!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You look like the kind of person who enjoys being thorough. In that case, you should definitely expand on step 2 - are you going to take the MCAT at the end of a pretty chill vs busy summer? Or during winter break after an easier semester so you can study more for it? Depending on when you want to take it, you may need to adjust your college schedule/sunmer plans.

In terms of the letters of rec, it's good to know early on who your best candidates will be. If you're doing research with someone, that's an obvious option. Your chemistry & physics classes are typically better bets for better letters if you have the same professor for a whole year. If you plan on getting a letter from a professor you only have 1 class with, make sure your go to office hours and make yourself known and try to be a motivated presence in class.

This one wasn't too obvious to me when I applied, but during the summer in which you're applying, if at all possible, try and make it as free as possible in may/June so you can write/pre-write your PS and secondaries. Nothing worse than submitting things weeks late just because you're too busy.

What if the MCAT/something else goes awry? When is a good time for you to retake it? What if it becomes too late to apply and go to medical school straight out of college? Have a plan B which includes a gap year. In the best case scenario, you should have some sort of college experiences to help you stay competitive for an interesting/possibly (relatively) well-paying gap year job, rather than working a dull entry-level position.

Reactions: 1 users
4a. Have a lot of people from different backgrounds read your PS (doctors, medical students, peers, English Professor, non-med people, etc.).
5a. Have a couple of people look over your activities section
7a. See if you qualify for the Fee Assistance Program and apply if you do.
11. Yes try to submit all of your secondaries within two weeks from the date of receipt if possible.
12a. Prep for your interviews. Be able to answer (1) tell me about yourself, (2) why medicine, (3) why you would like to attend ____ School of Medicine.

My personal thoughts on the application process:

1) Really spend time on the secondaries and pre-write them. Tailor each to the school; don't just copy and paste out of laziness. This is one of the key ways to demonstrate your "fit."
2) Don't spend too much time on the PS. For most people, it will be a neutral factor. A few excellent/cringeworthy ones will have their due impact but for most applicants, the PS will not do much for you. Spend more time on secondaries instead. Also, don't shut out schools by saying exclusively you want to go into private practice, academic medicine, etc unless you are confident that you can get in to schools that emphasize those things.
3) Don't expect anything. You will be surprised many times throughout the season.

GL!

Reactions: 1 user