My booklist...any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all, so I've read almost every thread started on good books for medical school and/or USMLE, so I wanted to post my list and see if I got some good options.

Pathology: Big Robbins, Robbins Q Book, BRS Pathology
Physiology: Text by costanzo, and BRS
Anatomy: Netter, Moore Clinical Anatomy, BRS
Behavioral Science: BRS
Microbiology: Microbio made rid simple
Biochemistry: Lippincotts, BRS
Pharmacology: Lippincotts, Pharmcards
Developmental cell/histology: Lange Immuno and Micro review, High yield (embryology), BRS Cell bio and histo
Biostats: High Yield
Neuroscience: High Yield, Clinical Neuro made rid simple.

Any thoughts, advice as to any other books I should get and which ones of this list I should take out. Thank you!

Dr. DOn

Members don't see this ad.

Looks pretty good. I didn't use near that many books, but the ones you have listed look pretty good. I only bought 1 review book per class and not even for every class.

Although, you might want to subsitute some books for the high yield series. For example, anatomy takes a lot of time and I don't know anyone who used BRS on top of what they had to do anyway-class plus lab. HY may help here. It's also good for embryo and histo, those types of classes.

you're missing immuno. I'd suggest Lange's Micro + Immuno review, 90 pgs worth of high yield immuno. I posted a pretty comprehensive list a few weeks back, just run a searchfor "what books" and I'm sure you'll pull it up, amongst many other good suggestions

Members don't see this ad :)
Rohen's anatomy atlas (real cadavers) is a must in my book.

Green912 said:
Rohen's anatomy atlas (real cadavers) is a must in my book.

Only if your school still uses prosected models :)

Medical Microbiology and Immunology...excellent book.
Later on, you'll be needing some system books

the_equalizer said:
you're missing immuno. I'd suggest Lange's Micro + Immuno review, 90 pgs worth of high yield immuno. I posted a pretty comprehensive list a few weeks back, just run a searchfor "what books" and I'm sure you'll pull it up, amongst many other good suggestions

thank you guys for the replies! Equalizer, I got the micro and immuno review book already on the list...I know you've talked about it for a long time, so I'll be getting it for sure. As far as system books, I haven't really thought about them yet, but do you guys have any suggestions? thanks

Dr. DOn

Is it really true when people say there are no real *required* texts, and that people usually just choose for themselves regardless of what the official school booklist looks like?

In that case, I am agonizing over two issues:

1) Moore vs. Snell for anatomy
and
2) Langman w/CD vs. Moore for embryo

I have pored over every thread related to books and every last comment on amazon.com. I am just trying to be very, very careful; don't want to blow any $$ here.

Any quick thoughts? Votes? Thanks guys!!!!

A lot of people don't buy "required" books not so much because they think another author is better, but because the lecture notes are sufficient and they'd never read the book anyway.

If a book is listed as required then it's worth looking into, simply because that's where the prof is likely to pull material for questions. But then again the info should be in the notes.

When no clear direction is given and you left to decide which book to buy yourself I'd suggest going to a bookstore and comparing them. Some have better pictures, tables and graphs then the other. However it usually boils down to personal opinion and learning style. Honestly it's hard to pick a bad book when looking between two/three big authors (for example Clemente vs. Netter).

Sharkfan said:
Is it really true when people say there are no real *required* texts, and that people usually just choose for themselves regardless of what the official school booklist looks like?

In that case, I am agonizing over two issues:

and

I have pored over every thread related to books and every last comment on amazon.com. I am just trying to be very, very careful; don't want to blow any $$ here.

Go with moore for anatomy. Really couldn't say what to do for embryo - I had moore but barely skimmed a chapter or two in it.

Dr. Don said:
hello all, so I've read almost every thread started on good books for medical school and/or USMLE, so I wanted to post my list and see if I got some good options.

Pathology: Big Robbins, Robbins Q Book, BRS Pathology
Physiology: Text by costanzo, and BRS
Anatomy: Netter, Moore Clinical Anatomy, BRS
Behavioral Science: BRS
Microbiology: Microbio made rid simple
Biochemistry: Lippincotts, BRS
Pharmacology: Lippincotts, Pharmcards
Developmental cell/histology: Lange Immuno and Micro review, High yield (embryology), BRS Cell bio and histo
Biostats: High Yield
Neuroscience: High Yield, Clinical Neuro made rid simple.

Any thoughts, advice as to any other books I should get and which ones of this list I should take out. Thank you!

Dr. DOn

wait til you get to school and then see how much time you have. you might not have enough time to study all of those books. might end up wasting a lot of money. i would say buy first aid for sure right away and look over (in first aid) whatever material you are studying in class. this will make step 1 studying easier when you go back to first aid for the "real" boards studying period

good luck

Sharkfan said:
I am agonizing over two issues:

and

I experianced the same probleme :confused: , so ... I decided to read from them all to choose the one that I really comfortable with >>

1. Moor antamy :thumbup: : B/c it contain better figures and illustrations compaired to snell. Also the informations in moor are more organized "systemiaticly" that will help you to think systematicly :)

2. Moor emeryo : also for the same reasones ... I tried both and I found that moor cover the same areas as Langman in addition to more detailed clinical informations in each chapter.

Thanks for the responses, and sorry to the OP for throwing in some unrelated stuff... I guess I'm just scared that if I don't get the "official" text then I will miss something. But on another level I know I'm just being silly; they all contain the same info, right?

*sigh* decisions, decisions.

OP: Your list looks fine by me, but I know I am going to try to buy less; i can't imagine having the time to read alllll that and am just going to try to learn the ones i get as best as I can.

medicalstudent9 said:
i would say buy first aid for sure right away and look over (in first aid) whatever material you are studying in class. this will make step 1 studying easier when you go back to first aid for the "real" boards studying period.
I keep hearing about first aid but don't know what it is. Is it some kind of review book that helps in studying for the boards? Where can I buy it and how much does it cost? Thanks.

Sense said:
I keep hearing about first aid but don't know what it is. Is it some kind of review book that helps in studying for the boards? Where can I buy it and how much does it cost? Thanks.

FIRST AID FOR THE USMLE STEP 1
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0071429484/002-9057193-4680033?v=glance

BRS PATHOLOGY
http://www.lww.com/product/?0-683-30265-5

BRS PHYSIOLOGY
http://www.lww.com/product/?0-7817-3919-5

most people agree that FIRST AID is THE main book for USMLE step 1 and most people agree that these two BRS books are also really good

good luck :luck:

medicalstudent9 said:
FIRST AID FOR THE USMLE STEP 1
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0071429484/002-9057193-4680033?v=glance

BRS PATHOLOGY
http://www.lww.com/product/?0-683-30265-5

BRS PHYSIOLOGY
http://www.lww.com/product/?0-7817-3919-5

most people agree that FIRST AID is THE main book for USMLE step 1 and most people agree that these two BRS books are also really good

good luck :luck:
Thanks for the websites. From reading the reviews, it seems like first aid it great for the USMLE. I'll definitely look into buying it. :thumbup:

After a quick review of the previously posted replies I did not see any books on Neuroanatomy...I would highly recommend two books if you're interested in a future in Neurological Surg/Neurology or are just curious:

1. A MUST...Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases by Hal Blumenfield...from the neurological exam to the intricacies of different pathways it is at the top of my list for study.

2. The Brain Atlas...I think it's by Wesley...excellent again.

Ciao

I would like to ask all of the medical students a question that I've been wondering for sometime as I read this type of thread regarding these review books. Honestly, how many of you purchased these review books before even starting your first year? It seems like many are so anxious and willing to shell out extra money even before their medical education begins.......did most of you wait a while, perhaps even to get a feel for your classes/class notes/required books, or did you guys just go ahead and buy first aids and/or BRS's before classes started just because you knew they could come in handy later on? I'm a poor rising M1, and for some reason, my wallet and I are a bit apprehensive of shellin' out extra money before I even test the waters of my medical school. Whattya guys think?

thought i'd bump this up to see if anyone would answer my question above