My Chances at Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorfox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'll try to keep this short. I'm a Canadian student who is unsure of my chances in Canada.

Here are my stats:

1st year GPA: 2.23
2nd year GPA: 4.0 (A+ in O-chem)
3rd year GPA: 4.0
4th year GPA: 4.0

Overall undergrad GPA: 3.56.

I am aware my first year was abysmal. Really the only reason was because I didn't take it seriously. I was 18 and not sure of where I wanted to go or do. I received my only non-A marks in first year. I got two D's. One in biology and another in some stupid bird course about fossils. Every year after first I received only A's and 4.0 GPA.

MCAT: 38 (VR: 13)

ECs: - shadowed a plastic surgeon for 4 months
- worked full time summer job every year except between 2nd and 3rd year when I shadowed.
- some hospital volunteer work.
- research in 4th year
-competitive bodybuilding
- CPR and first aid training (not very significant)

No publication.

Also I have letters of recommendation available from a plastic surgeon and my choice of 4 different science professors.

Should I completely ignore any hope of staying in Canada? Which DO schools would I have a chance at? Also, would USMD be an option, or am I *****ic for even asking?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
With a 38, you application won't get tossed out without a read-through. I would go ahead and apply. I hear that Wayne State in Michigan is pretty Canada-friendly, as are Michigan State and Michigan State's DO school

With a 38, you application won't get tossed out without a read-through. I would go ahead and apply. I hear that Wayne State in Michigan is pretty Canada-friendly, as are Michigan State and Michigan State's DO school

Would you say Wayne state is the only MD school I have any chance at?

Also, I consistently score 40 on my practice MCATs. Should I rewrite and boost my 38 to a 40 to have a better chance at getting into a MD school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you say Wayne state is the only MD school I have any chance at?

Also, I consistently score 40 on my practice MCATs. Should I rewrite and boost my 38 to a 40 to have a better chance at getting into a MD school?

No, a 38 is great, don't risk it. I scored higher on practices than on the real thing too...but that's the way it goes.

I don't think Wayne/MSU are the only MD schools you ought to look at, those are just two schools I know about from interview days/experience so I suggested them. I am sure there are many other schools that like international applicants, I just don't know which schools those are.

Edit: also, there is a sub forum for international applicants - I would read through all of those posts.

How much hospital volunteer work do you have? That could play a big role in admissions so "some" volunteer work is not quite descriptive enough.

No, a 38 is great, don't risk it. I scored higher on practices than on the real thing too...but that's the way it goes.

I don't think Wayne/MSU are the only MD schools you ought to look at, those are just two schools I know about from interview days/experience so I suggested them. I am sure there are many other schools that like international applicants, I just don't know which schools those are.

I'm sure there are schools that like international applicants, but are there schools that will like me?

If it wasn't for my first year I would be applying to US top 10 schools. But I'm in this dilemma. I never failed a single class.

How much hospital volunteer work do you have? That could play a big role in admissions so "some" volunteer work is not quite descriptive enough.

Around 120 hours I believe.

I'm sure there are schools that like international applicants, but are there schools that will like me?

If it wasn't for my first year I would be applying to US top 10 schools. But I'm in this dilemma. I never failed a single class.

Calm down and apply everywhere. Even if you had a 4.0 it's still no guarantee that you will get into a top 10 as a citizen, much less as an international applicant. Apply broadly and hope for the best. You have the best version of your GPA possible (with 4.0s in your later years). Chin up, be proud of your accomplishments, and apply to the schools you think will be good fits - no one said you are out of the running for Harvard or anywhere else ;)

You have a strong upward trend with your GPA so I honestly don't see it hurting you THAT much. It will hurt you some place but many others will likely give you a shot with an interview.

You have a strong upward trend with your GPA so I honestly don't see it hurting you THAT much. It will hurt you some place but many others will likely give you a shot with an interview.

Do you think my shadowing experience is of any significance?

I mean it's certainly good that you have it.

Hello all.

I'll try to keep this short. I'm a Canadian student who is unsure of my chances in Canada.

Here are my stats:

1st year GPA: 2.23
2nd year GPA: 4.0 (A+ in O-chem)
3rd year GPA: 4.0
4th year GPA: 4.0

Overall undergrad GPA: 3.56.

I am aware my first year was abysmal. Really the only reason was because I didn't take it seriously. I was 18 and not sure of where I wanted to go or do. I received my only non-A marks in first year. I got two D's. One in biology and another in some stupid bird course about fossils. Every year after first I received only A's and 4.0 GPA.

MCAT: 38 (VR: 13)

ECs: - shadowed a plastic surgeon for 4 months
- worked full time summer job every year except between 2nd and 3rd year when I shadowed.
- some hospital volunteer work.
- research in 4th year
-competitive bodybuilding
- CPR and first aid training (not very significant)

No publication.

Also I have letters of recommendation available from a plastic surgeon and my choice of 4 different science professors.

Should I completely ignore any hope of staying in Canada? Which DO schools would I have a chance at? Also, would USMD be an option, or am I *****ic for even asking?

Thanks.

I honestly think with your GPA and strong upward trend that you should do well. 2 semester definitely won't hurt you and make sure you mention it in your personal statement!

Also side question: How did you score so high on the MCAT? I'm wondering because I'm studying for it right now. Did you have a solid background in the sciences?

I honestly think with your GPA and strong upward trend that you should do well. 2 semester definitely won't hurt you and make sure you mention it in your personal statement!

Also side question: How did you score so high on the MCAT? I'm wondering because I'm studying for it right now. Did you have a solid background in the sciences?

Hmm not particularly solid. Just a fundamental understanding. The only reason I did decent on the mcat was because I was studying 8 -12 hours a day for a few months. I bought the Kaplan advantage anywhere pack (nearly $2000 I believe).

Hmm not particularly solid. Just a fundamental understanding. The only reason I did decent on the mcat was because I was studying 8 -12 hours a day for a few months. I bought the Kaplan advantage anywhere pack (nearly $2000 I believe).

Ya brah 99th percentile, pretty decent, kinda disappointed, ya know...oh well :cool:

In all seriousness, OP probably didn't study his way to a 38 from a 25; he/she was getting 40s on practice tests. Everyone I know who scored 35+ scored 30+ on their diagnostic. Most people only raise their score by a few points by studying.

Ya brah 99th percentile, pretty decent, kinda disappointed, ya know...oh well :cool:

In all seriousness, OP probably didn't study his way to a 38 from a 25; he/she was getting 40s on practice tests. Everyone I know who scored 35+ scored 30+ on their diagnostic. Most people only raise their score by a few points by studying.
That is complete BS. I know a guy who went from a 23 on AAMC #3 to a 37 on the real one