MD what are my chances at these medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unicorn_poop

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a California resident! 3.65 sGPA, 3.7 Total GPA, 515 (127, 128, 130, 130) MCAT.
(It's really sad, my total GPA would be closer to a 3.8 if I just took Spanish at a community college. It TANKED my GPA, such a bummer)

I have 2000+ hours of clinical experience (working as an EMT, hospital internship in the emergency department, shadowing) I have also worked 2 years in clinical research. I founded a student org and was president #leadership. I travel around the nation helping Red Cross Disaster Health as an EMT in disasters (mt kilauea eruption, hurricane Irma). Phi Delta Epsilon (Pre Med Frat) 4 Years, Sigma Kappa Sorority 3 years (had a leadership position). I would say my extracurriculars are my strong point. I am having trouble finalizing a school list.

First 9 schools (All California): UCSF, UCSD, UCLA, UCI, UCD, USC, Northstate, Stanford, Loma Linda

Out of State Schools: Albert Einstein, Albany, BU, Tufts, Stony Brook, U Wash, U of A (Tuscon and Pheonix), SUNY Downstate, Brown, Georgetown, Drexel, Columbia, Oregon H&S, U Colorado, U Miami

So that's my list of 25 schools right now. Any other suggestions? Should I apply to more? Should I cut out any of these schools? Add more reach schools? Add more backups? I would love any advice but please be nice and respectful <3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you aware that Northstate has chosen to deny its students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms?
Are you SDA? If not delete Loma Linda.
Delete U of WA (not WWAMI).
Do you qualify as one of OHSU's mission groups?
Strong research? If not, delete Stanford.
CO takes very few folks from OOS that have no connection.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you aware that Northstate has chosen to deny its students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms?
Are you SDA? If not delete Loma Linda.
Delete U of WA (not WWAMI).
Do you qualify as one of OHSU's mission groups?
Strong research? If not, delete Stanford.
CO takes very few folks from OOS that have no connection.

Dude, you're the best.

I had no idea about Northstate or Loma Linda (I was just applying to all med schools in CA), so I'll delete those.
I definitely have no connection to CO so I'll delete that.
I only have 2 years of Alzheimer's Clinical Research, no publications. I'm much more interested in direct patient care rather than research. I'm mostly interested in Emergency Med so if there are any schools that are famous for a great emergency program that would be great.
I have no idea what a OHSU mission group is! I'll look if up but I doubt that I'm part of one. I picked the school just because Oregon is green and pretty.

Also I attached the past 3 years of UCSD acceptances to see where I might have a chance.

I'm sure everybody can tell from my post that I'm clueless. PLZ HELP<3 I appreciate y'all

Attachments

• ucsd-medical-school-admits.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 93
Members don't see this ad :)
*UPDATED*

Info: CA resident, first time applicant, Asian, had a gap year
Stats: 3.65 sGPA, 3.7 Total GPA, 515 (127, 128, 130, 130) MCAT.
(It's really sad, my total GPA would be closer to a 3.8 if I just took Spanish at a community college. It TANKED my GPA, such a bummer)
Degree: UCSanDiego double major: B.S. Physiology&Neuroscience, B.A Psychology
Work/Activities:
- 2000+ hours of clinical experience (working as an EMT, hospital internship in the emergency department, shadowing)
- 2 years in clinical research as a paid study coordinator, no publications.
- Founded the first EMT student org at UCSD and was President #leadership. In the process of bringing ambulances on campus!
- Travel around the nation helping Red Cross Disaster Health as an EMT in disasters (mt kilauea eruption, hurricane Irma)
- Phi Delta Epsilon (Pre Med Frat) 4 Years
- Sigma Kappa Sorority 3 years (had a leadership position).
- HHAB Mexico Free Clinic Volunteering
I would say my ECs are my strong point. I am having trouble finalizing a school list.

In-State Schools:
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
UCI
UCD
USC

Out of State Schools:
Albert Einstein
Albany
BU
Tufts
Stony Brook
U of A (Tuscon and Pheonix)
SUNY Downstate
Brown
Georgetown
Drexel
Columbia
Hofstra
U Miami

So that's my list of 20 schools right now, my budget is 25-30. Any other suggestions? Should I apply to more? Should I cut out any of these schools? Add more reach schools? Add more backups? I would love any advice but please be nice and respectful <3

I suggest the following:
ALL UCs, but UCR ONLY IF you're from the Inland Empire
Mt Sinai (maybe)
Case
Mayo
U VM
USF Morsani
U Cincy
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein