My chances for Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rycetrix

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a 3rd year at UC Irvine, and I have a 3.762 GPA with no pharmacy work experience (I intend to start this summer if I can). I have commited 2 years so far for tutoring with the on campus tutoring service (in Calculus and Ochem), and I have become the highest position possible as an undergraduate, a mentor tutor (there are three levels: new tutor, veteran tutor, and mentor tutor). I just started research this quarter and I also only have a few clubs that I am participating in and I do not have very much volunteer work under my belt. Although, my junior year of high school, I did do an internship (volunteer work) at UCI Medical Center for 150 hours in the Pediatrics department. So am I able to put stuff from high school onto the PharmCAS apps or no? And what do you guys think my chances are of getting in? (I know this question is pretty redundant as everyone asks the same question, but I am just curious)

Members don't see this ad.

At the surface you look very competitive, good job! Have you taken the PCAT? I loaded up my PharmCAS with high school stuff, no shame here :D

So I am a 3rd year at UC Irvine, and I have a 3.762 GPA with no pharmacy work experience (I intend to start this summer if I can). I have commited 2 years so far for tutoring with the on campus tutoring service (in Calculus and Ochem), and I have become the highest position possible as an undergraduate, a mentor tutor (there are three levels: new tutor, veteran tutor, and mentor tutor). I just started research this quarter and I also only have a few clubs that I am participating in and I do not have very much volunteer work under my belt. Although, my junior year of high school, I did do an internship (volunteer work) at UCI Medical Center for 150 hours in the Pediatrics department. So am I able to put stuff from high school onto the PharmCAS apps or no? And what do you guys think my chances are of getting in? (I know this question is pretty redundant as everyone asks the same question, but I am just curious)
I think you will be fine. I would take the PCAT and apply outside of Cali also. Cali schools are rough to get into. I would try applying Maryland, I hear they like you overachieving SoCal boys. Be sure to act like you are gods gift to pharmacy school though. I believe they like that, also. I wouldn't apply to midwestern or Auburn, they obviously have problems with your type and cannot be trusted to make these kinds of tough decisions. Even if they are the adcoms.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take some time and work on your confidence... It will aid you in your interview, which is the only real block I can see to you matriculating.

~above~

No I have not taken the PCAT and I kind of want to stay in Cali. Though I was thinking of applying to UMass just in case. I am kind of worried that my lack of pharmacy work and my lack of volunteer work are going to be my kryptonite. And I also forgot to include that I am going for my B.S. in Chemistry and a minor in Biological Sciences.

rycetrix-hope you get into UMass, a friend of mine raves about the place! Good luck.

UMass is only my reserve choice if I don't get into Cali pharmacy schools. My friend got into UMass without too much effort, so I think that will be okay.

you got the grades and you're on the right track, you'll be fine. go anteaters!

I think you should just forget about pharmacy, you'll never get in. :laugh:
Just kidding. I think everything is looking good for you. Only one thing is missing...Pharmacy experience. See if you can volunteer at a hospital pharmacy. It seems like with your schedule, school and tutoring, getting a clerk position at a pharmacy might be difficult. But, if you think you can manage, do it!

No I have not taken the PCAT and I kind of want to stay in Cali. Though I was thinking of applying to UMass just in case. I am kind of worried that my lack of pharmacy work and my lack of volunteer work are going to be my kryptonite. And I also forgot to include that I am going for my B.S. in Chemistry and a minor in Biological Sciences.

Which school is UMass?

You're looking good! As long as you have good personal statements and a strong interview I would say you would definetly get accepted to USC, and have a great shot at UCSF and UCSD, especially if you get some pharmacy experience. At the UCSF and UCSF interviews they ask a lot of situational/ethical questions about working in a pharmacy, so if you can draw on some pharmacy experience (even if its just a little), that will look great.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
UMass has had a PharmD program for awhile I believe...

"Founded in 1823, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences is a private, coeducational college offering graduate, professional and undergraduate degrees in the health sciences. The College has campuses in Boston and Worcester, Massachusetts and Manchester, New Hampshire. "

Directly from their website.

UMass has had a PharmD program for awhile I believe...

"Founded in 1823, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences is a private, coeducational college offering graduate, professional and undergraduate degrees in the health sciences. The College has campuses in Boston and Worcester, Massachusetts and Manchester, New Hampshire. "

Directly from their website.

You mean MCPHS. Yes, they are the second oldest pharmacy school in the nation. However, both the Boston and Worcester campuses are pretty competitive though. Boston being a 0-6 program, they only accepted 25 professional transfers this year out of 2,100 applicants. A of my friends who applied this year(they all had pretty competitive GPAs) were rejected. The Worcester campus is just the same being that it's a 3 year program. Regardless, good luck to you and I hope you get to stay in Cali! To my knowledge, Touro and Loma Linda should be the easier schools out of the other Cali schools. As one of the poster mentioned, you can also try the new school if you are willing to take some risks.

My friend got into the MCPHS Worcester campus and he's class of 2010.

Question: What do you mean by a 0-6 program?

And yes, I know Touro and Loma Linda are easier schools to get into. Although I feel I am limiting myself by not applying to Western because I do not want to take human anatomy with lab at a community college during my senior year. (Our school only offers anatomy lecture, which sucks)

And yes, I know Touro and Loma Linda are easier schools to get into. Although I feel I am limiting myself by not applying to Western because I do not want to take human anatomy with lab at a community college during my senior year. (Our school only offers anatomy lecture, which sucks)

hey there ryce, you have the grades to get into any school in california. i wouldn't bother studying for the PCAT, instead, I would invest all my time into getting pharmacy related experience and perhaps a letter of rec from a pharmacist! that should be your #1 priority. no reason for you to study for the PCAT with your GPA, you're money! get that experience!!!

yeah, good luck if you apply at MCPHS/Boston! You will need it.

Boston is a 0-6 program meaning that the school accepts high school graduates. There's a few pharmacy schools in the U.S. that are like this. The ones off the top of my head besides MCPHS boston are Rutgers, USP, St. John's, Long Island, and many more which you can find by doing a simple search. The number of transfer spots these schools have available each year depends on the number of students, in the pre-professional phase, who don't make it into the professional phase.
By the way, are you going to apply to the new Cali school?

The new Cali school...Touro? Maybe...we'll see.